Thunes to acquire payments platform Tilia LLC

2 minutes ago, Innula Zenovka said:

Occam's razor would suggest to me that a final agreement about the Tilia sale had yet to be reached by the time it came to record and broadcast the episode of Lab Gab.

That sounds logical.

All the negative response in this thread also suggests a possibility, that having this announcement as part of the Lab Gab may have been a large distraction from all the "positive messaging".

• Like 2

I think also that people that depend solely on Second Life for their social interactions should also start exploring alternate platforms. Find another you like, make some friends, invest some time.  That way if SL does poof, which will inevitably happen at some point, people aren't feeling as lost or as angry if they had nothing to replace it. 

I invested a lot of time and made friends in The Sims Online. There were not as many ways to keep in touch when it went down and eventually we all lost touch. It really did feel like a void for awhile. I can't imagine how some will feel that have been here 20+ years when it finally implodes.  I, in no way think it will happen soon but it's always good to plan ahead. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

32 minutes ago, Alwin Alcott said:

It sinks less fast as the Titanic, but the violins keep playing, ... i hope people who make their living from it, also start looking for a escape pod/boat
it might take still a long time till your feet get wet, but better have one before the water hits the knees.

Worth quoting!

The "I hope..." part is a good plan always, in any world.  Eggs all in one basket kinda-thing.  Even in the best of times at the best of places.  Individual, or entity: Diversify.  Cannot be stressed enough.  its a long life out there.  Multiple streams is essential.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

4 minutes ago, Kyrie Deka said:
40 minutes ago, Alwin Alcott said:

It sinks less fast as the Titanic, but the violins keep playing, ... i hope people who make their living from it, also start looking for a escape pod/boat
it might take still a long time till your feet get wet, but better have one before the water hits the knees.

Worth quoting!

The "I hope..." part is a good plan always, in any world.  Eggs all in one basket kinda-thing.  Even in the best of times at the best of places.  Individual, or entity: Diversify.  Cannot be stressed enough.  its a long life out there.  Multiple streams is essential.

Just make sure the "Titanic" deck chairs are not "AFK" chairs before relaxing.

• Haha 2

45 minutes ago, Sid Nagy said:

So yeah.. I'm not really positive at the moment,

And to be clear, I would never define this as "sky is falling".   In my case, the "sky is falling" group to me are very very small and they rarely if ever post of anything positive, always slice-and-dice everything.  That seems to me like the way they "role".  Its not fruitful for me, but I am only one reader.  They have a right to their opinion, but it is an exhaustive read... which admittedly I don't have to read ever.   

At any rate, this change may be coming. Glad I know about it.  It will likely not be as bad as any list of "bads" we can come up with.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

41 minutes ago, Innula Zenovka said:

Occam's razor would suggest to me that a final agreement about the Tilia sale had yet to be reached by the time it came to record and broadcast the episode of Lab Gab.

Oh certainly. But at Lab Gab they announced this Community Round Table thing with no initial topic or timeframe, at the very time they were concluding that Tilia sale.

True, they may have spent the first Round Table on policy change fallout from the recent Medium-rare scandal. If so, I bet they're mighty glad to have another topic about which to engineer ambiguity.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Paul Hexem said:

My guess is they don't care about SL at all. A company doesn't buy something like Tillia because they think it's nifty and they just gotta help LL and their customers. 

Tilia was newer with more potential, and can expand and grow. Second Life can't, but it's still somebody's cash cow(and not the customers). It amounted to a nice(and viable) balance, but adjustments will necessarily get made, as they have been all along, from day 0. The new metaverse craze isn't going along as it was hoped for and hyped. The wheel(or madhouse) will keep spinning another two to four years, unlikely more at least without some pretty major changes in what it has to offer(and not more shine). Nearly all we get to see are usual hysterics from angry and delusional people on a platform, and whose investments in this thing aren't primarily measured in dollars.

Edited by Ineffable Mote

37 minutes ago, Kyrie Deka said:

And to be clear, I would never define this as "sky is falling".   In my case, the "sky is falling" group to me are very very small and they rarely if ever post of anything positive, always slice-and-dice everything.

The sky has been falling forever it seems. I left SL and these forums for 10+ years and before I left it was filled with doomsayers predicting the end of days, with me being one of them. Yet here we are in 2024. The fact that SL still exists today is amazing and I don’t think we should be counting it out just yet.

• Like 7

2 minutes ago, Qie Niangao said:

Oh certainly. But at Lab Gab they announced this Community Round Table thing with no initial topic or timeframe, at the very time they were concluding that Tilia sale.

True, they may have spent the first Round Table on policy change fallout from the recent Medium-rare scandal. If so, I bet they're mighty glad to have another topic about which to engineer ambiguity.

Or they recorded Lab Gab knowing that the sale was in the pipeline, and intending to devote the first Community Round Table to it, assuming the deal didn't fall through in the meantime.  Meanwhile that particular edition of Lab Gab concentrated on the various projects on which Grumpity and her engineers have been working, with Kiera coming in for the final section.

No date was given, as I recall, for the first Round Table, so they weren't committed to anything other than holding one the next time a suitable opportunity presented itself and Oberwolf (who I assume is a pretty busy man) was available..

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Porky Gorky said:

The sky has been falling forever it seems. I left SL and these forums for 10+ years and before I left it was filled with doomsayers predicting the end of days, with me being one of them. Yet here we are in 2024. The fact that SL still exists today is amazing and I don’t think we should be counting it out just yet.

I can remember confident predictions that voice would kill SL.   

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

16 minutes ago, Qie Niangao said:

Quick! Look over there! * runs away *

Run Away Meme Generator - Imgflip

• Like 2

The lab had said this on 23rd April 2024 “This is good news for Second Life residents and creators. More options without additional costs. We are having an open meeting on May 20 and can discuss in detail.

Guess we will have to wait to find out more information.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Just now, Love Zhaoying said:

..unless the userbase grows exponentially due to something like Mobile..

There would need to be more interest in the metaverse to start with, it just ain't there. With SL it seems to be just the one main target market now. I was thinking new technology that would offer something of substance, and maybe offer more fertile ground. I don't think AI is it , either.

25 years is a pretty good run.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Porky Gorky said:

The fact that SL still exists today is amazing and I don’t think we should be counting it out just yet.

I agree. 

"I feel... Love!  All around here!" Marvels Aziraphale as he and Crowley drive around Tadfield. Adam's love for his life, as well as the angel and demons' love of theirs, defeats an apocalypse.

SL has been providing escape for many, many years for many, many people whose real lives are stressful. And as the climate rages around us and the politics get more extreme, RL stress will continue to build. There are a whole lot of people who love their SL, even if they don't bother to make it as shiny as it could possibly be. How many of them are necessary to sustain SL for a full 5 years, or maybe even longer? How long can the platforms' technology be held together with Band-Aids and an occasional Herculean effort?  I guess we'll see.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Just now, Ineffable Mote said:

There would need to be more interest in the metaverse to start with, it just ain't there.

That's where the Adult Content comes in!

People love their Phones.

People love Adult stuff.

Winner winner chicken dinner!

1 minute ago, Arduenn Schwartzman said:

No WIkipedia pages for the company or its CEO. These people prefer to stay in the shadows. But I got a name...

image.png.b9ffc68923e3ea25d2482dc828d1636e.png

Which, again, confirms my suspicions...

it-has-always-been-the-dutch-v0-4o41wv67tgtc1.webp.743fa2c7277e15393a7d0953a93708a6.webp

Yeah, someone else pointed out earlier that they are Dutch.

Makes you wonder, why not "more Dutch companies" taking over stuffs? I guess them Dutch are busy enough.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Cain Maven said:

Having had a few hours to digest this, I've decided to postpone panic.

It is perhaps mildly surprising -- at least the timing is -- as it seemed like Linden Research had ambitions for Tilia. On the other hand, maybe this was the exit strategy all along. On the third hand, maybe priorities no longer are what they were under the late Mr. Altberg. I suspect we will never know.

Well, I mean, Linden Lab also had ambitions for Sansar, and we all know how that went. After changing hands several times, Sansar still has a very small but deeply committed user base, but it doesn't seem to matter how well it shows itself off (and I will still say that Sansar is the most beautiful social VR platform)—everybody would rather hang out in VRChat or Rec Room instead. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I have completely given up on predicting what metaverse ventures will fail and which will succeed.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

13 hours ago, Coffee Pancake said:

Our people is employees of Tilia and Linden Lab. Our customers is Tilia's corporate customers. So VRChat, Upland, Avatus, Kidari Studio, LEVVE⅃S, Astra and the rest.

Wow, how did I not know that VRChat had partnered with Tilia last December. Playing catch-up now...well, this is certainly interesting!

Fun fact: my blogpost about hidden adult content in VRChat is, far and away, the most visited blogpost on my entire blog, after almost seven years of blogging. (It also helps that it's very high up in the Google search results when you look for "vrchat adult," which apparently, a lot of people do search for...who knew?? )

Edited by Vanity Fair
  • Thanks 2

As always fascinating. The tiny proportion of online in the 'product' right now who even pay attention to the forums.

A quick glance top right to the scoreboard gives us - well. Nuff said.

Keep going.

• Thanks 1

Also on the Thunes site (after the article):

"Thunes currently facilitates payments in 84 currencies across 133 countries, using over 550 payment methods, including 129 mobile wallets like PayPal, M Pesa and Orange Money, gig economy giants like Uber and Deliveroo and super-apps like Grab and WeChat. Headquartered in Singapore, Thunes has offices in 14 locations, including Beijing, Nairobi, Riyadh, Dubai, San Francisco, Sao Paulo, London, Paris, Barcelona and Manila."

Someone DID mention Singapore earlier, but I forgot.

ETA: I posted this in the wrong thread by mistake. Luckily, someone reported it. Thanks to whoever did that, or I may not have noticed! ❤️❤️