Thunes to acquire payments platform Tilia LLC

28 minutes ago, Alwin Alcott said:

just curious ; why you think it will get better ?

I think selling Tillia to Thunes and then using Thunes as a global payment processor will remove monetary roadblocks that stop LL from appealing to people outside of the US. If LL wanted to advertise themselves to people in other countries this would be a good time. There is a 5 year agreement where Thunes and LL work together to make this new payment processing look good to prospective clients so there's incentive to not make things worse for SL residents. LL might still have non-controlling shares in Tillia and that could guarantee continued goodwill and favorable terms after the agreement ends. I'm speculating. I'm sure bad things could be speculated as well. Only time will tell. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Love Zhaoying said:

You misunderstand: I tease because in this case, I foresee a positive outcome.

Really? What "positive outcome" ?

"Hooray, Fake Money Crypto--Crap Not-Banks in the Far East used by drug cartels will now be able to use their untraceable fake-money to buy L$from the comfort of their fortified mansion in the Golden Triangle, using their gold plated whyPhones!"

Also, cash-out fees go up, and then lindex fees go up as LL isn't getting the cashout fees any more, then MP sales tax goes up, then LLaspervend fees go up, then subscription fees go up...

Yeah let's look on the bright side of "The Death Of A Thousand Cuts" off SL.

8 minutes ago, Love Zhaoying said:

their sheer and utter lack of faith

"Hey, we are proud to announce yet another new un-feature almost nobody wanted, that should have taken 6 months, which we extended to 6 years, then gave up on half way through, it's a broken hot mess, but we're saying its Working As Intended!"

"Business as usual but we've raised transaction charges from a buck fifty, to 15 % of anything under $100"

"This year we're embracing SL's Adult side by pretending we're opening a smutty club, then imposing a draconian puritanical crackdown to cover our own asses"

And you wonder why some of us "lack faith".

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3
  • Confused 1

9 minutes ago, Love Zhaoying said:

I think what a lot of people miss is, LL wouldn't sell Tilia if it didn't benefit them to do so, and by extension benefit us. 

Wrong.

The OWNERS of LL and Tilla wouldn't sell Tilla unless it benefited THEM,  Put's cash in THEIR pockets. Don't assume this means LL will have a HUGE bag of money to spend on shiny, as in reality, they will spend it on Shareholder Dividends.

They are not doing this to benefit US.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

Just now, Zalificent Corvinus said:

Really? What "positive outcome" ?

Listed earlier in several posts..

1 minute ago, Zalificent Corvinus said:
14 minutes ago, Love Zhaoying said:

their sheer and utter lack of faith

"Hey, we are proud to announce yet another new un-feature almost nobody wanted, that should have taken 6 months, which we extended to 6 years, then gave up on half way through, it's a broken hot mess, but we're saying its Working As Intended!"

"Business as usual but we've raised transaction charges from a buck fifty, to 15 % of anything under $100"

"This year we're embracing SL's Adult side by pretending we're opening a smutty club, then imposing a draconian puritanical crackdown to cover our own asses"

And you wonder why some of us "lack faith".

These are "promising something". Selling Tilia is "abandoning a bad thing". Just like, selling Sansar.  LL will not be encumbered by the dead, stinking albatross carcass.

Did anyone consider that perhaps having a stake in / owning a payment company may have hindered future growth in Mobile? There's many things "we" don't know.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

22 minutes ago, Love Zhaoying said:

The word "thorn" has mostly negative connotations.

In what language does thunes mean thorn? or does it? I'm curious about what the name thunes means, as I find etymology fascinating.

I take it it means money in french, seems fitting but uninteresting really

4 minutes ago, Zalificent Corvinus said:

The OWNERS of LL and Tilla wouldn't sell Tilla unless it benefited THEM,  Put's cash in THEIR pockets. Don't assume this means LL will have a HUGE bag of money to spend on shiny, as in reality, they will spend it on Shareholder Dividends Saturday Sales.

FIFY!

Edited by Garnet Psaltery
Typo
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Zalificent Corvinus said:

Wrong.

The OWNERS of LL and Tilla wouldn't sell Tilla unless it benefited THEM,  Put's cash in THEIR pockets. Don't assume this means LL will have a HUGE bag of money to spend on shiny, as in reality, they will spend it on Shareholder Dividends.

Even Second Life isn't there to benefit us.
It is still around to rake in as much money as they can lay their hands on. Second Life isn't a social product but a business.

• Like 6

Wrong.

"WE" are LL's "cash cow". If you think they are dumb enough to jeopardize "US" (your caps), go ahead and think that. Except companies that suffer leveraged buyouts by hedge funds etc., most don't kill the "goose that lays the golden egg". 

• Thanks 1

Nobody asked for a Tilia.

Or the fee increases needed to fund it.

Or the massive controlling stake it has in the direction of the platform, now from even further away.

Thune could easily block adult content in their terms and conditions, or anything else we do, and we have to obey.

Thune could be forced into this trying to build legitimacy of their business making deals with banks and credit providers.

This is how we do a Tumblr.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 4
  • Confused 1

5 minutes ago, Love Zhaoying said:

"WE" are LL's "cash cow". If you think they are dumb enough to jeopardize "US" (your caps), go ahead and think that. Except companies that suffer leveraged buyouts by hedge funds etc., most don't kill the "goose that lays the golden egg". 

Hedge funds split up the company in parts, sell what they can sell with a profit and dump the costs as much as possible on the part(s) they let sink in the swamp. That's how they maximize their profits.

Edited by Sid Nagy
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Wrong.

From what I've heard, Tilia has high administrative costs, plus overheads in the form of licence fees for all US states.    It also exposes senior LL management to hefty criminal liability if anything goes wrong.   In other words, while LL needed to invent Tilia to keep the in-world economy working while remaining in compliance with increasingly tight legislation on electronic money transfers, it's not the sort of thing in which you want to be involved long-term if it's not part of the core business.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 6

Just now, Sid Nagy said:

Hedge funds split up the company, sell what they can sell and dump the costs as much as possible on the part(s) they let sink in the swamp. That's how they maximize profits.

Yes, they are bad. That's what "except for hedge funds" meant. You are agreeing with me. Or didn't understand my point. It's all good.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Love Zhaoying said:

Selling Tilia is "abandoning a bad thing". Just like, selling Sansar.  LL will not be encumbered by the dead, stinking albatross carcass.

Tilla was the reason the Takeover-Crew bought LL in the first place. Licenced money shifter in 48 states, so much easier than getting your own licences. IDEAL for reselling to some Singapore based Crypto Pirates.

SL is just a self financing "pay off the Tilla buyout loan" bonus

3 minutes ago, Love Zhaoying said:

Did anyone consider that perhaps having a stake in / owning a payment company may have hindered future growth in Mobile?

No, because a) it's not, and b) WHAT "growth in mobile".

What's holding mobile back is the app store terms and conditions, the ones about "no smut" and "we get 30% of all the money you make from the app we sell in our app store".

THAT's the elephant in the Mobile Fail Viewer room, LL trying to find a way to let mobile users buy $100 worth of shopping tokens without Awful Mac claiming $30 as their share, leaving either LL $30 out of pocket on every $100 transaction on the Lindex, or LL raising transaction fees to 45% so they can still get their 15% AND give Awful Mac the $30.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2
  • Confused 1

2 minutes ago, Zalificent Corvinus said:

THAT's the elephant in the Mobile Fail Viewer room, LL trying to find a way to let mobile users buy $100 worth of shopping tokens without Awful Mac claiming $30 as their share, leaving either LL $30 out of pocket on every $100 transaction on the Lindex, or LL raising transaction fees to 45% so they can still get their 15% AND give Awful Mac the $30.

+1

7 minutes ago, Love Zhaoying said:

Yes, they are bad. That's what "except for hedge funds" meant. You are agreeing with me. Or didn't understand my point. It's all good.

Except that I think that the SL overlords might have chosen the hedge funds road here.
But of course nothing more than speculating, like we all do in this thread. No one knows more than what the article stated.

• Like 4

59 minutes ago, Orwar said:

How are we ever going to survive? Won't anybody please think of the children?!

As others have noted - the problem with payment system switches is that payment companies have gotten it into their heads to "think of the children" all of the time, and no one ever wants to "think of the adults."

That's not just about "adult content" but also about adult-aged content... ;)

Things folks who are grown up like to do, talk about, experience, etc. are not just 'NSFW", but also anything SFW as opposed to 'SF-preschool.

Banks and payment processors have decided to moralize on everyone, and can get away with it because they're holding people's money hostage. Changing payment systems puts things back into uncertain waters. Panic waters? No. Just uncertain.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1