Thunes to acquire payments platform Tilia LLC

Brad Oberwager, CEO of Linden Lab, said, “Thunes is an exceptional company that directly connects nearly every payment method and market worldwide. The combination of Tilia and Thunes will give Linden Lab’s customers more payment choices, and the ability to receive pay-outs in real-time, anywhere, into the wallet or bank account of their choice. It will be business as usual for our people and our customers as we bring Tilia and Thunes together.

How are we ever going to survive? Won't anybody please think of the children?!

People seem to be in such a hurry to don their tinfoil hats these days. Scoffs.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 7

23 minutes ago, rasterscan said:

Thunes and Linden Research, Inc. (“Linden Lab”), the current majority owner of Tilia, have agreed to an exclusive five-year partnership

Good to play for 5 more years at least then ?

weird thing is that Thunes and others speak about "aquire" ... not partnership.. that are two very different meanings.

• Like 5

2 minutes ago, Orwar said:

We could talk about children, instead. That topic is popular!

• Haha 2

1 minute ago, Love Zhaoying said:

Way to find the silver lining! 

You think thee is one?

Remember how it works.

Cash generating "Victim Inc" is pottering along making a modest but steady profit.

Then it's CEO acts like a tool, and boasts that it's a cash machine.

Then "Stock Market Takeover Pirates Inc" borrow a BIG bag of money and buy Victim Inc.

Then the takeover pirates do some DARK side accountancy and offload all responsibility for the loan onto Victim Inc.

Then they carve off the interesting and re-sellable bits, give them a quick coat of fresh paint, and sell them off.

Then they sit back, and let what's left potter along, but only while it's generating enough cash to pay off the loan instalments AND put a hefty chunk of change into the takeover pirates pockets.

If the profits fall off, they let what's left die, and walk away, free of any debt, with pockets full of money, to look for a NEW Victim Inc to buy.

I remember one of the Forums less "business savvy" posters stating they were hopeful, because the new owner "had a history in drinks and snacks" and would be good at running something like SL.

I remember thinking at the time that was like saying Attila the Hun had a history in Roman Civic Re-Development.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Orwar said:

Oh, the CEO said it! THE CEO.

Those guys never lie about a business deal, I trust him!

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Just now, Zalificent Corvinus said:
12 minutes ago, Love Zhaoying said:

Way to find the silver lining! 

You think thee is one?

It was sarcasm. Because what Coffee posted - the building possibly being sold - would from most angles appear to have absolutely nothing to do with Tilia being sold. 

• Like 1

Chatting with one of my relatives who works in the digital business is familiar with Thunes and she said it's good they're teaming  up which is needed in this day and age to survive --- especially with financial micro-transactions across many platforms.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

4 minutes ago, Kimmi Zehetbauer said:

Chatting with one of my relatives who works in the digital business is familiar with Thunes and she said it's good they're teaming  up which is needed in this day and age to survive --- especially with financial micro-transactions across many platforms.

but they don't team up, it's aquired.. so ordinairy sold ( as predicted during the previous change in command)

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Love Zhaoying said:

The sky is falling!

!!FIRST!!

I'm glad you're having fun.

We all deal with things in different ways, and I guess being the top poster already here mean's you're quietly freaking out too. Don't worry, there will always be other forums whatever happens here.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1

24 minutes ago, Paul Hexem said:

Oh, the CEO said it! THE CEO.

Those guys never lie about a business deal, I trust him!

They will guaranty you with a straight innocent face, that it is a sunny Wednesday morning on a rainy Friday afternoon, if needed to succeed.

Edited by Sid Nagy
  • Like 1

19 minutes ago, Alwin Alcott said:

fun thing is i see 3 or 4 CEO's at Thunes since less than a year....

As far as I know Linden Lab doesn't officially have a CEO either and hasn't since previous one's illness/passing. Quite possibly this is all a pretty good business arrangement for both. Interesting changes either way, and LL has long been in need of some.

(but I realize chicken littles will do their thing, why wouldn't they)

Edited by Ineffable Mote
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, Coffee Pancake said:

I'm glad you're having fun.

We all deal with things in different ways, and I guess being the top poster already here mean's you're quietly freaking out too. Don't worry, there will always be other forums whatever happens here.

You misunderstand: I tease because in this case, I foresee a positive outcome.

On the other hand, the fact "any change at all" results in "oh noes" from certain people, definitely makes the entire "Sky is falling" response ridiculous.

Despite protests to the contrary, it's as if those who complain truly wish LL (and thereby SL) to fail, as shown by their sheer and utter lack of faith.

I hope you can process that explanation without somehow thinking there is reason to "turn it back on me" as usual.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Love Zhaoying said:

You misunderstand: I tease because in this case, I foresee a positive outcome.

On the other hand, the fact "any change at all" results in "oh noes" from certain people, definitely makes the entire "Sky is falling" response ridiculous.

Despite protests to the contrary, it's as if those who complain truly wish LL (and thereby SL) to fail, as shown by their sheer and utter lack of faith.

I hope you can process that explanation without somehow thinking there is reason to "turn it back on me" as usual.

There are people who just are a tat more critical about Linden Lab than the full time Linden Lab cheerleaders on this forum. What's wrong with that?
It helps with discussions if there are more flavors than only vanilla available.
A glass can be perfectly half full and half empty at the same time.

Edited by Sid Nagy
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 2

18 minutes ago, Alwin Alcott said:

but they don't team up, it's aquired.. so ordinairy sold ( as predicted during the previous change in command)

Yes! Selling Tilia will give LL more $$ to spend on the projects everyone complains out. It's a win-win. (I honestly believe that Tilia will fail under new management, so LL makes $$$ from the sale, and we all benefit indirectly.)

I think what a lot of people miss is, LL wouldn't sell Tilia if it didn't benefit them to do so, and by extension benefit us. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Just now, Sid Nagy said:

There are people who just are a tat more critical about Linden Lab than the full time Linden Lab cheerleaders on this forum. What's wrong with that?
It helps with discussions if there are more flavors than only vanilla.

Nothing at all is wrong with it: my opinion is just as valid as theirs.

For some reason, those who hate / fear change despise being disagreed with, and apparently take it personally. That's about the only way I can explain the personal attacks against me when I disagree. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

2 minutes ago, Love Zhaoying said:

Yes! Selling Tilia will give LL more $$ to spend on the projects everyone complains out. It's a win-win. (I honestly believe that Tilia will fail under new management, so LL makes $$$ from the sale, and we all benefit indirectly.)

I think what a lot of people miss is, LL wouldn't sell Tilia if it didn't benefit them to do so, and by extension benefit us. 

Only ... That's not how any of this works.

• Like 5

2 minutes ago, Love Zhaoying said:

It could benefit the pockets of the investors too or even solemnly. 
(Me looking at the half empty glass now)

• Like 2