Roads in the new stilt on a pier regions are not drivable.

Posted (edited)
20 hours ago, diamond Marchant said:

However, the Stilt Piers employ mesh-based transparent blockers located on the 90-degree bends. Years ago when my bike hit one, I thought it had to be a bug.

In places where a pier intersects a road, there are visual indications that road traffic should not enter. But for the new resident, they see no such indicators when they rez a bike in their new parcel and attempt to go for a bike ride.

I would have constructed the piers in a fashion similar to the Houseboat docks. When Linden Lab policy is to allow no vehicles of any type, I would have simply said that on a sign in addition to steps and bollards.

houseboat driveable_001.jpg

Yeah I find both the policy and the way it was 'secretly implemented' both weird and a little unkind.

Not having any notification and hiding blockers is just strange.

Having the policy at all is also weird. Why, what purpose does it serve to have an actively anti-vehicle policy somewhere? Especially somewhere where there is a wide open lane that looks very much like a sort of roadway.

If they want a policy - fine. But why hide it?

It feels condescending, though I doubt that is intended.

Edited by UnilWay SpiritWeaver
  • Like 3

It needs to be closed for at least 18 months while the LDPW carry out impact and risk assessments (biodiversity in the encroaching meshes etc), and draught a plan of action for stabilising the area and potentially re-opening the tunnel some time in 2030.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, SarahKB7 Koskinen said:

Explaining the differences between a pier, a pontoon, a jetty, a dock, a quay, a promenade and an esplanade to confused land lubbers is difficult enough already.

So I won't.

Because it amuses me.

😜

Heck, you could drive a TANK on a pontoon bridge!

At least LL could have put up "no vehicles" signs. A proper "walkable neighborhood" is a nice idea.

• Like 3

Posted (edited)
21 hours ago, belindacarson said:

Anyone considered just using  a vehicle you "add" instead of complaining?

Anyone consider not complaining that raising a concern is complaining, and not expecting people to have to limit to non-physics based options?

Obviously the Lindens and Moles make what policies they desire for Belli, and that is what it is and I accept that. I just wish they'd communicate it with signage rather than disable things in secret so I wouldn't be asking why something is happening.

Edited by UnilWay SpiritWeaver
  • Like 2

21 hours ago, belindacarson said:

Anyone considered just using  a vehicle you "add" instead of complaining?

Forum tip, read the thread title.
If you know that you are likely get 'aerated' by feedback threads it makes it easier to avoid those kind of upsets rather than trying to police general humanity with their various opinions which you may not agree with.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 4/23/2024 at 2:50 PM, Evangeline Arcadia said:

If anyone does want to drive around Stilts...there are plenty of roads to explore...

Stilts_.jpg.634bf083f8151a661d2eecec7b4ad542.jpg

There are currently 390 available Stilt Homes on Land. I bet some of them are close to drivable roads. 😎 

• Like 2

I live in a (largely) pedestrianised area, and I've seen what even light traffic does to paving slabs. So the idea of allowing vehicles to drive over wooden planks is just weird to me. I am clearly far too hung up on physics and realism and all that stuff.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

On 4/24/2024 at 2:23 PM, UnilWay SpiritWeaver said:

Yeah I find both the policy and the way it was 'secretly implemented' both weird and a little unkind.

Having the policy at all is also weird. Why, what purpose does it serve to have an actively anti-vehicle policy somewhere? Especially somewhere where there is a wide open lane that looks very much like a sort of roadway.

Any modern pedestrian street will have obvious barricades, to keep drunks and bad drivers, etc. off the street. I assume that not including visible barricades was an oversight.

5 hours ago, Love Zhaoying said:

Any modern pedestrian street will have obvious barricades, to keep drunks and bad drivers, etc. off the street. I assume that not including visible barricades was an oversight.

Im not sure that helps. In Sweden (quite recently) a diplomatic car took the rail instead of the road. Quite far too and then just left it. There were loads of signs, believe me… 😏 

(Lag I guess 😁)

IMG_0114.jpeg

Edited by Always Incognito
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

• Moles
On 4/24/2024 at 2:23 PM, UnilWay SpiritWeaver said:

There was no intentional "secret hiding" of anything or an "anti-vehicle policy". When the pier kit was made it needed to be walkable, but being drivable wasn't part of its design scope. So, it was never tried or tested for vehicles. As it turns out the physics are fine for walking but they do not play nice with most vehicles. It wasn't purposefully designed to not be drivable. It just happened to not be and therefore does not function for a purpose it was never meant for. Sometimes things work out in a way that something works just fine for something that was not intended, but this was not one of those times. 

But it is why we put generally place bollards and posts where the boardwalk meets the genuine roads and we don't put rez zones for land vehicles on the boardwalks. 

• Like 7
  • Thanks 7

1 hour ago, elleevelyn said:

ooowahh !! you lawbreaker !!!

defo give you a fake ticket from the Fake Belli Boardwalk Traffic Police Department !! you criminal !!!! 😺

Actually, I was arrested, endured a trial and was sentenced to time in a Bellisseria Community Center (not even one of the good ones). However, I won my case on appeal to the Supreme Lindens by citing the "no gaslighting" clause of the Linden constitution.

• Haha 2

27 minutes ago, diamond Marchant said:

Actually, I was arrested, endured a trial and was sentenced to time in a Bellisseria Community Center (not even one of the good ones). However, I won my case on appeal to the Supreme Lindens by citing the "no gaslighting" clause of the Linden constitution.

I think you've hit upon what Bellisseria really needs for more community engagement - a "People's Court". Imagine folks complaining about their neighbors, bad drivers crashing into their pool, trespassers, nudists, loud music, etc. It could be televised with a live stream on YouTube.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

10 minutes ago, Persephone Emerald said:

I think you've hit upon what Bellisseria really needs for more community engagement - a "People's Court". Imagine folks complaining about their neighbors, bad drivers crashing into their pool, trespassers, nudists, loud music, etc. It could be televised with a live stream on YouTube.

Or, a Q's Court (in ST:TNG, where Q recreates a courtroom after World War III in 2364 and 2370 to put humanity on trial).

Q - Star Trek - John de Lancie (usually) - Character profile - Writeups.org

Edited by Love Zhaoying
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, Persephone Emerald said:

It could be a really fun roleplay.  Unlike the real People's Court, you could sometimes introduce a segment with 'security camera' footage of the actual transgression!

Little known fact: in the heyday of outrage talk shows (like Jerry Springer and Maury Povitch), there were improv actors in LA and NYC who would make a little scratch by putting together a "skit" with a good backstory and fake identities and applying to be on a show.  I knew of some who succeeded in doing their bit and getting paid - they would give friends as references for the show's incredibly loosy goosy production staff to call. They had a lot of fun doing it, and the show got nearly free footage (sometimes including pretty good stage fight footage lol), because of course my acquaintances didn't disclose their SAG memberships!

• Haha 1

What we could have are street cleaning vehicles which can go everywhere, all @diamond Marchant needs then is a rotating brush under the vehicle and a decal saying 'Bellisseria Department of Sanitation' and the residents court of disapproval would reverse their verdict, because who wants food wrappers and excess sand clogging their gutters?