why having or beeing an alt is consider bad?

26 minutes ago, Gabriel Isodo said:

I don't understand why on second life beeing an alt is something considered bad. We can have 2 3 or 10 accounts

They get a bad reputation because some people use them for malicious or deceitful purposes, such as trolling or stalking, cheating on a partner, or attempting to approach someone who blocked you by using a different avatar. But alts are not bad in and of themselves, I believe most people just use them for fun, or to explore SL from a different perspective, or to take a break from inworld responsibilities (such as owning a store)

Because of the group of people who use alts to harm others or to sneak around, people look at them with suspicion. Especially if they don't know who that alt belongs to.

Either way, people can do whatever they want as long as they don't violate the TOS (which obviously allows alts)

So to answer your question:

26 minutes ago, Gabriel Isodo said:

What is the problem?

There is no problem. Have fun. And if someone judges you for it, that's their problem, not yours.

Edited by Clem Marques
  • Like 16

It's not having an alt that is the issue when you read the forums here, it's what a large % of users with alts do with them.

Yes, there are many who are just using alts to do things like having an extra body or two in your photo scene. For exploring multiple things in SL. For roleplaying, etc. I have a male alt for example for extra land ownership and his L$ allowance, but he's in world about 15 seconds a week to transfer L to me. However ...

There are a decent % (perhaps even a small majority?) who use them for less-than-noble purposes. Spying on friends or partners. Cheating on partners. Those are probably the most common two. Griefing other SL residents. Hiding the darker things they want to get up to in SL. Concealing themselves from their loved ones and friends instead of just telling their friends in SL they are busy (a lot of people use their friends list like a dog whistle .. hey, so-and-so's online I'm gonna hang!! when maybe you just are building or want to be left alone for a night).

I'd think most would be easy to spot if they opened their mouths in IMs ... hard to change a repeatedly misspelled word you always get wrong, using ellipsis like I do with a space on either side, cases of your letters, etc. I'm sure many can, I couldn't.

It's like lying about my RL gender living as Kat in SL. Why would I? But I know many female avatars try, like many use alts.

PS. Sniped by @Clem Marques by mere seconds. :) As he said, no problem, have fun. But if you lie to me about it if I ask, then it's actually not my issue, it's all yours.

------

Also a quick follow up, isn't there an actual limit to the number of accounts one person can have?

Edited by Katherine Heartsong
  • Like 9
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, Katherine Heartsong said:

Yes, there are many who are just using alts to do things like having an extra body or two in your photo scene. For exploring multiple things in SL. For roleplaying, etc. I have a male alt for example for extra land ownership and his L$ allowance, but he's in world about 15 seconds a week to transfer L to me. However ...

------

Also a quick follow up, isn't there an actual limit to the number of accounts one person can have?

See, I do it just the opposite.  I have an alt for testing permissions and related activities when creating items to put up for sale, but  I also use my alt as a bank: I park my lindens on the alt and withdraw some every time I want to go shopping -- it helps curb some of the impulse buying habits I have.

---

You can have 5 free alts.

Official Alt Policy

• Like 10

3 minutes ago, Rowan Amore said:

That policy, AFAIK, hasn't been enforced since I started in 2009.

Perhaps not.  And be that as it may, it's still the officially published policy and is subject to enforcement should Linden Lab choose to do so.

• Like 9

What's with all this prejudice against alts? It's not like a anyone chooses to be an alt. We can't help if we were born after someone's main account was born. It's not like we choose to be 2nd class citizens of Second Life. Do you think we enjoy being treated like nothing more than a bank account our primary can ignore for months or years and then even decide to kill us, not because we did anything wrong, but just because they're bored with us. We usually have to live off old freebie skin and clothes, while you primaries get all the fun and lindens. Maybe you think being LGBTQ is hard? Try being an alt for a while, and see how you like it.

I don't even have my own room in Persephone's house anymore. ☹️ I have to share a room with a dog. 

• Like 4
  • Haha 18
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 2

2 hours ago, Gabriel Isodo said:

I don't understand why on second life beeing an alt is something considered bad. We can have 2 3 or 10 accounts. What is the problem?

6 minutes ago, Alycia Blaylock said:

What's with all this prejudice against alts? It's not like a anyone chooses to be an alt. We can't help if we were born after someone's main account was born. It's not like we choose to be 2nd class citizens of Second Life. Do you think we enjoy being treated like nothing more than a bank account our primary can ignore for months or years and then even decide to kill us, not because we did anything wrong, but just because they're bored with us. We usually have to live off old freebie skin and clothes, while you primaries get all the fun and lindens. Maybe you think being LGBTQ is hard? Try being an alt for a while, and see how you like it.

I don't even have my own room in Persephone's house anymore. ☹️ I have to share a room with a dog. 

Has anyone mentioned bots yet? These are the alts I most feel sorry for. When they no longer are being used they just all get piled up in a corner somewhere to gather dust. All those lovely imaginative names going to waste. I could just cry.

• Like 5
  • Haha 2

4 minutes ago, Tasha Ezarael said:

Woof!

You make a very good point, Tasha!

I don't think there's anything wrong with having one or more alts.  They seem to get a bad name because they're often used for avoiding people on friends lists or stalking an ex-partner.  Bad, very bad!

Some alts have less troublesome purposes like being a model for a main's fashion brand or holding cash for a main's sim.  An alt might even exist because the user wants to have a separate account for a different gender or species.  Another common reason to have an alt is for roleplay.

So... no, I don't think there's anything wrong with alts.  They have a lot of great uses!  Just ignore the folks that have a problem with alts.  It's their problem!

• Like 6

2 hours ago, Katherine Heartsong said:

I'd think most would be easy to spot if they opened their mouths in IMs ... hard to change a repeatedly misspelled word you always get wrong, using ellipsis like I do with a space on either side, cases of your letters, etc. I'm sure many can, I couldn't.

I created my alt Laskya in 2013 because I wanted to return after a 2 year hiatus, but with a bit of a fresh start. Nothing nefarious, and I didn't care that much if I got outed . . . which was a good thing, because I posted maybe 20 posts here before I was detected. And yeah, it was my writing style, which I didn't bother trying to conceal, that betrayed me.

That said, I am utterly clueless about detecting alts. Really and truly, I'm awful at it. People here will sometimes allude darkly to such and such an alt, and I'll have no idea what they're talking about.

• Like 11

3 hours ago, Gabriel Isodo said:

I don't understand why on second life beeing an alt is something considered bad. We can have 2 3 or 10 accounts. What is the problem?

They are a big pain in the butt..  They take all your money, they never get a job and when you're not looking or logged out they're throwin big huge parties at your place and don't clean up after themselves..

That's just some of the stuff I know  from dealing with my alts. I know they've done worse.

• Haha 12

One thing I'm curious about...has anyone ever been on an alt, and then run into somebody they knew on their main...but that person was acting out of character or showing another side of themselves? 😲

• Like 5