Features no one uses or knows about

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 89 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

5 hours ago, Arduenn Schwartzman said:

"Mouse camming" using the Control, Alt, and Shift keys in combination with your mouse. A surprising amount of people in SL have never even heard of this.

It happens quite frequently that people stream via Discord to show me what's going on on their end when I'm helping them out with stuff, and observing people have that little camera control HUD open and clicking away to navigate SL is painful to watch, particularly when it's their avi I'm helping them with and they got no fine control whatsoever to zoom in to the relevant body part they're adjusting.

• Like 3

14 hours ago, Love Zhaoying said:

An alternative is "Mouse Caning". Ouch! Poor mouse.

Now I have mental images of really bad fakes of that. Ugh, lol.

As for camming, I actually still use the little control floater thingy, I admit it. I'm really good with it, so it's not like it slows me down any.

I just keep putting off learning all the keyboard shortcuts.

Using the mouse  that way sounds pretty neato though, so I'm going to try it. The camming, not the caning thing.

Edited by PheebyKatz

13 hours ago, Luna Bliss said:

One interesting feature is crashing into your keyboard with an elbow and a kitty butt you're trying to grab -- it can log you right off SL.

I thought everyone used that feature, though.

• Haha 1

On 1/31/2024 at 3:59 PM, SarahKB7 Koskinen said:

Ahern was one of SL's earliest Welcome Hub style sims (known at the time as a Welcome Area), set up by the Lindens in 2003. It's located just to the west of SL's most oldest sim regions.

One of Ahern's corners was used in conjunction with three other neighbouring sim corners (Morris, Bonifacio, Dore) as an open mic high capacity chat arena, until voice was turned off there a couple of years ago to prevent arguments, trolling, griefing and other offences.

To the west of Ahern is Dore, which features the impressive Yamato building with a walkthrough Welcome Hub style tutorial. (To the west of Dore over the bridge is a group of sims that form the Nova Albion community. There is a long straight road with a tram line. This road is called Route 66 and goes west all the way through Bay City to the very western edge of the mainland.)

To the east of Ahern is Lusk and the Luskwood community. Lusk also has the Americana Arch memorial.

(Americana were a group of early builders who in August and September of 2003 were very influential in their goal of achieving free rezzing for all in SL without a mandatory weekly LL taxation (people used to pack away their rezzed prims the day before the weekly Tax Day calculation to avoid the tax fee!). Without Americana, we might all still have weekly "prim taxes" to pay!  Americana achieved their goal by withdrawing their impressive and attractive builds that Linden Lab liked to highlight as destinations to promote SL. Americana's actions were kind of a mutinous against SL taxation, a tactic which worked. Linden Labs conceded defeat and land parcels were invented as a way to fund SL instead.)

Ahern's southern neighbour Morris has public sandboxes and some historic relics from SL's earliest days. (To the south of Morris is Oak Grove, which features SL's oldest cowboy town, which has been restored by it's original builders and Moles. (Further south is Balance, the Vehicle Testing Sandbox, where one may build or test drive a vehicle.) To the east of Morris is Rizal, which has a small amusement park with a lake.)

That whole west part of Sansara continent is a treasure trove of SL history and is a place I'm very fond of.

Agree.

On 2/2/2024 at 3:54 AM, Love Zhaoying said:

Maybe it's a Bot Exhibition?

Or a Secret Garden group..

Family Safe Nude Planter. Look it up, it has a traffic of 14,873 in Search.

Just don't go if you aren't looking for "a good time".

Oh, and when do we get that barf emote?

Edited by PheebyKatz
  • Haha 1

On 2/2/2024 at 7:26 AM, Arduenn Schwartzman said:

"Mouse camming" using the Control, Alt, and Shift keys in combination with your mouse. A surprising amount of people in SL have never even heard of this.

f_SLcameraconm_43a804a.jpg.447df400e8f53a7f9254c484c0afb5ff.jpg

• Like 5
  • Thanks 3

4 hours ago, Charlemagne Allen said:

Thanks. This was interesting.

Also, showing invisible prims used to let you click people's bits from across the sim. It's hilarious.

This is why I used to wear underwear that tattled on people in Local Chat. You've never seen someone poof so fast!

2 minutes ago, Love Zhaoying said:

I did it so much in my first 10 years or so, that I kept trying to do it on normal websites!

I get the same weird effect when I'm going between Blender and Firestorm. Years of this, and it still gets me every time.

• Like 2

The feeling whe you see second life youtubers who still turn around very slowly with the movement keys instead of left mouse gamer precision ... or when they walk up to someone to see them better instead of ctrl alt cam zoom.

Edited by Midnoot
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Midnoot said:

The feeling whe you see second life youtubers who still turn around very slowly with the movement keys

Hey, I paid for my turn left and turn right animations, I'm getting the most out them I can! ;)

Linked to that, my "not so secret but secret to some" tip is, customise your animations. Personally, my preference is the integrated "AO tool" of the Firestorm viewer.

Buy a complete animation overrider that you really like and that contains many animations, rez and open it to get a folder with the single animations in your inventory. Use Firestorms integrated AO and have fun, creating your separate custom AOs, for laggy events, for shopping, for dates, for evenings at your dancing plays, for exploration trips, for different roleplay personas, ...

You can also modify AOs for use in the SL viewer, using different notecards, but I'm finding the integrated Firestorm one less clunky, easier, and faster to use.

Exact instructions and tips on where to get good animations, including specifics like "not as much movement like a whole kindergarten group in one person for my 50+ avatar, for heaven's sake!", can be found by searching the avatar forum section. 

___

I was surprised to find the Notes tab under the "hidden features", I've been using them since forever, and extensively, but probably many will say that about "custom" AOs, too.

And about anything else. 😅

• Like 1

1 hour ago, InnerCity Elf said:

Hey, I paid for my turn left and turn right animations, I'm getting the most out them I can! ;)

Linked to that, my "not so secret but secret to some" tip is, customise your animations. Personally, my preference is the integrated "AO tool" of the Firestorm viewer.

Buy a complete animation overrider that you really like and that contains many animations, rez and open it to get a folder with the single animations in your inventory. Use Firestorms integrated AO and have fun, creating your separate custom AOs, for laggy events, for shopping, for dates, for evenings at your dancing plays, for exploration trips, for different roleplay personas, ...

You can also modify AOs for use in the SL viewer, using different notecards, but I'm finding the integrated Firestorm one less clunky, easier, and faster to use.

Exact instructions and tips on where to get good animations, including specifics like "not as much movement like a whole kindergarten group in one person for my 50+ avatar, for heaven's sake!", can be found by searching the avatar forum section. 

___

I was surprised to find the Notes tab under the "hidden features", I've been using them since forever, and extensively, but probably many will say that about "custom" AOs, too.

And about anything else. 😅

The Firestorm AO has been it for me since they came out with it. Being able to switch animation sets that fast is awesome. And yeah, drag and drop. Easy. Saves across clean installs, even.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, PheebyKatz said:

The Firestorm AO has been it for me since they came out with it. Being able to switch animation sets that fast is awesome. And yeah, drag and drop. Easy. Saves across clean installs, even.

Truth. AO is reason alone to use Firestorm, weird how it isn't in all viewers.

I just buy little packs of animations that I like and periodically change my AO set, saves on an attachment too

• Like 2

9 hours ago, PheebyKatz said:

Same as @AmeliaJ08. I won't use any other viewer now. Love the FS AO feature. Change AO from a normal walking one to a dance only AO? Two seconds, pull down menu, done. NO HUD, no muss, no fuss.

Edited by Katherine Heartsong
  • Like 2

going into photo tools, then cam tab and sliding smoothing all the way to the right...then roll your mouse wheel 

I used to have a hud someone made that did same thing but sl ate it... lost forever loved that thing..it was calls 320 hud.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 89 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.