Features no one uses or knows about

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 88 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Just now, Modulated said:

The old Luna shopping mall thing is still there too.

Yep, Luna Oaks Galleria. I go there once upon a time to hang out at the trolley.

It was relatively recently (maybe 10 years) that I discovered the Eagle's nest behind the mall.

It was even more recently (maybe 6 years) that I discovered a fairly creepy asylum not far from Luna.  (I swear it was on public land, that is part of what surprised me. I always wonder if it was always there and I didn't know about it.)

Me and Luna go back 17 years now!

• Like 2

I don’t know that NO one knows, but I did not know for many, many years that typing rezplat in local births a big flat prim for you, where ever you happen to be. Which made finding out about the aforementioned gth2000 or 3000 etc very exciting, as now I didn’t have to rez on the ground & then edit on the ground.  Because prior to gth I held my flight feather tight & flew up up up, and up and up, took a breather, then flew some more hoping to find the prim I shot into the sky.  This was also of course before I realized I could just use the world map to TP to 2,000m up.   Never assume everybody knows any one thing.   I’m sure there’s things in SL I’m still taking the long road on, even after 15 years.=)

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Guess he should have said features some people don't know about because one long time creator was unaware of the gth and rezplat feature after being in SL over 15 yrs.  

She was like OMG, I never knew!

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, Midnoot said:

It's a shell of it's former glory. When LL removed voice chat from the most popular infohubs, they gutted a huge portion of what made SL into SL. Goodbye activity. Every time I go to Ahern now, it's like 4 guys, discussing philosophy.

That's what really happened. Philosophers showed up. Once you've got 4 philosophers in one region, best to just hang it up.

Neo-neo-Platonic Sophists are the worst. I give them a wide berth.

Edited by PheebyKatz
  • Haha 3

29 minutes ago, Pixie Kobichenko said:

I don’t know that NO one knows, but I did not know for many, many years that typing rezplat in local births a big flat prim for you, where ever you happen to be. Which made finding out about the aforementioned gth2000 or 3000 etc very exciting, as now I didn’t have to rez on the ground & then edit on the ground.  Because prior to gth I held my flight feather tight & flew up up up, and up and up, took a breather, then flew some more hoping to find the prim I shot into the sky.  This was also of course before I realized I could just use the world map to TP to 2,000m up.   Never assume everybody knows any one thing.   I’m sure there’s things in SL I’m still taking the long road on, even after 15 years.=)

I always sort of just sit on the prim, and then type in the height I want it to go to, then settle for the height it parks me at, and then scoot it down a few meters so I have room to rezz stuff on it without it going straight to my Lost & Found. When I unsit, I hit Home so I fly, or quickly double-click the prim so I TP onto it, and don't fall. It's a long way down, and there's a lot of stuff to hit on the way, lol.

But yeah, I'm totally using this now that I know about it, too.

Edited by PheebyKatz
  • Like 2

@Modulated, @Love Zhaoying

Luna wasn't always a shopping mall and didn't always used to be where it is now.  Back in 2003, Luna and a sister sim called Coney both used to be parts of a theme park called Linden World. Both Luna and Coney were named after well known theme parks in the US.

Linden World theme park had rides and attractions built by the earliest SL residents, the most famous ride being a dark ride (or "Ghost Train" as they're called in England) by Sinatra Cartier called the Spook House.  You might have seen advertisements for the Spook House on advertising billboards in the oldest parts of the Sansara continent. The Spook House can still be visited if you search for Sinatra Cartiers profile picks.

As weeks and months went on, the crowds going to Linden World decreased and it was decided to combine the theme park into one sim and use one of the two sims as a Linden shopping mall.  Luna was chosen to become this mall and was moved slightly south to it's present day position and became part of what was called Luna Oaks shopping mall.

Eventually, the Linden World theme park was closed and the remaining sim Coney was deleted from the map leaving a void. But in March 2004, a new city was built over the top of where Linden World theme park once was. That city was named Nova Albion.

Nova Albion's Grignano sim sits exactly where Luna originally used to be and Miramare stands where Coney once was.  If you walk Route 66 east over the roadbridge into Dore and Ahern, you will find traces of the old Linden World theme park, dozens of tall decorative stone pillars used to line the roadside into the themepark there and a couple of the pillars still survive and remain upright there today.

LindenWorld_2003_10_14_2.png.7d0ef320903dc57793df0852f08e58bb.png

^ Linden World theme park entrance as seen from the road in Dore in the Autumn of 2003. Over the bridge were Luna (left) and Coney (right). The diamond shaped thing floating in the air is a Telehub, which predates landmarks and direct teleporting!

Dore.thumb.png.ebb1c36e676d5c6e84d3c86aa4959f2c.png

^ Same location in Dore, on 1st February 2024. Luna was moved away, replaced by Grignano (left) in March 2004. Coney was deleted and replaced by Miramare (right) also in March 2004.  Grigano and Miramare form parts of the Nova Albion city which sits where Linden World theme park used to be. 

DoreTowers.thumb.png.cb807e0bee4cfb1e1f6aa70a115347e8.png

^ Still in Dore, looking east up to Ahern. Two surviving towers are all that remains of Linden World theme park.

Edited by SarahKB7 Koskinen
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 6

43 minutes ago, SarahKB7 Koskinen said:

Luna wasn't always a shopping mall and didn't always used to be where it is now.

Cool, thanks for the info.

I have seen the Luna "Galleria Mall" change over the years. (The covered "gallery" parts of the mall at either end changed a lot, in particular.)

Sorry, I did not mean to imply it had "always" been a mall, just so long as I have been in Second Life (2007, thought I started before that but no - just turned 17).

43 minutes ago, SarahKB7 Koskinen said:

f you walk Route 66 east over the roadbridge into Dore and Ahern, you will find traces of the old Linden World theme park, dozens of tall decorative stone pillars used to line the roadside into the themepark there and a couple of the pillars still survive and remain upright there today. 

I have quite honestly tried to stay away from the busy parts of Dore and Ahern (whichever one used to be full of annoying gesturbating n00bs), and preferred the relative calm of Luna. According to posts above, Ahern at least is quiet. My memory is now that my cadre of friends said they were "born" in Dore, so perhaps I was too and forgot (having immediately walked to Luna).

Edited by Love Zhaoying

1 hour ago, Rowan Amore said:

Guess he should have said features some people don't know about because one long time creator was unaware of the gth and rezplat feature after being in SL over 15 yrs.  

She was like OMG, I never knew!

So far as I know, "gth" and "rezplat" are Firestorm features (and perhaps other TPV's), but not Official Viewer features..?

For this reason, even though I remember learning "rezplat" - I've spent so very little time using anything but the Official Viewer that I forgot it exists.

This whole, "Nobody knew [something a majority of people know]" thing reminds me of someone..if only I could think of who..someone in Real Life..

Oh, well. It will come to me.

7 hours ago, Janet Voxel said:

Wait…what’s Ahern?

What it's not is a "feature no one uses or knows about", it's just some old forgotten clump of fossil LL content. It's not unique, or special, there are loads of places almost no one uses or knows about, many of them much nicer than Ahern.

Go visit Ahab's Haunt instead.

• Like 3

8 hours ago, MissSweetViolet said:

Don't assume everybody, I've been here 5 years and had no idea about the XML thing and had never heard of Ahern. May people who have been here 10+ years would know, but not all of SL does.

One to add to the feature list, most avid builders are probably aware of this already , but you can type numbers in to the build window and add a - or + to add subtract, there is a copy/paste button to for rotation, position, size to copy between objects. Found out about those during one class at Builder's Brewery, went nearly two years without knowing anything about them.

I’m 16.5 yr and I didn’t know of it or if I did I forgot. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Midnoot said:

It's a shell of it's former glory. When LL removed voice chat from the most popular infohubs, they gutted a huge portion of what made SL into SL. Goodbye activity. Every time I go to Ahern now, it's like 4 guys, discussing philosophy.

I have never been there before so I just paid a visit, was just one person around lurking in the foliage

ahern_001.png

• Haha 5

10 minutes ago, Rat Luv said:

Have you tried it? Rez it...stand well back...and turn it physical 🤩

That's like having a carton of spoiled sour cream pushed into your face by your spouse and having them ask "Does this smell off to you?" Not something I really want to do (but I am curious now about his magic flamingo thingy).

Edited by Katherine Heartsong

3 hours ago, Katherine Heartsong said:

That's like having a carton of spoiled sour cream pushed into your face by your spouse and having them ask "Does this smell off to you?" Not something I really want to do (but I am curious now about his magic flamingo thingy).

9a753fbd02cb3788dea0d95c6ea9348c.gif

• Haha 2

There is one regular "resident" of Ahern who for years, never stands on the ground there and always hovers above it.  And no, I don't know why.

Did you also know Ahern, Dore, Bonifacio and Morris still have identical twins on the Beta "Aditi" grid? There, the four sims exist as their own "island" surrounded by a void of missing sim regions.

Edited by SarahKB7 Koskinen
  • Like 2

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 88 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.