Features no one uses or knows about

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 88 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

12 minutes ago, Charlemagne Allen said:

You can make notes on people's profiles on basically anything.

You can go into the developer menu and export your shape to an XML file and then reimport it.

Ahern still is a thing.

What other features can you think of?

I'm sorry but all of those things are fairly common knowledge and are used quite frequently by many as are all the features. Some are used more frequently and by more people, others not so much but all are used at some point. 

So don't be surprised if this is the only response the thread gets. As long as I have been in SL, I can't think of any feature that doesn't get used.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Charlemagne Allen said:

You can go into the developer menu and export your shape to an XML file and then reimport it.

Ahern still is a thing.

What other features can you think of?

I didn't know about your #2 or #3.

One thing many don't know about (though I'm sure plenty of people, especially builders, do) is that if you hit Control-Alt-T at the same time you can see transparent items and maybe even find that thing that went missing.

Oh, and you do the same to get rid of the red (someone messaged me about that after I instructed them to activate 'highlight transparency' and they got tired of the red look...lol...

Edited by Luna Bliss
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Lots.of.little.things in Firestorm that I love and use all the time.  Typing gth(go to.height) and a height will take you up there.  Don't forget to fly first.   Once.there, rezplat typed into.local will rez a.platform.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 3

1 hour ago, Charlemagne Allen said:

Those notes are stored with your account on LL's server, many think they are stored only on your computer like chat logs.

My own: You can change any calling card into one for someone else by putting their UUID in the asset description field.

• Thanks 2

Ahern was one of SL's earliest Welcome Hub style sims (known at the time as a Welcome Area), set up by the Lindens in 2003. It's located just to the west of SL's most oldest sim regions.

One of Ahern's corners was used in conjunction with three other neighbouring sim corners (Morris, Bonifacio, Dore) as an open mic high capacity chat arena, until voice was turned off there a couple of years ago to prevent arguments, trolling, griefing and other offences.

To the west of Ahern is Dore, which features the impressive Yamato building with a walkthrough Welcome Hub style tutorial. (To the west of Dore over the bridge is a group of sims that form the Nova Albion community. There is a long straight road with a tram line. This road is called Route 66 and goes west all the way through Bay City to the very western edge of the mainland.)

To the east of Ahern is Lusk and the Luskwood community. Lusk also has the Americana Arch memorial.

(Americana were a group of early builders who in August and September of 2003 were very influential in their goal of achieving free rezzing for all in SL without a mandatory weekly LL taxation (people used to pack away their rezzed prims the day before the weekly Tax Day calculation to avoid the tax fee!). Without Americana, we might all still have weekly "prim taxes" to pay!  Americana achieved their goal by withdrawing their impressive and attractive builds that Linden Lab liked to highlight as destinations to promote SL. Americana's actions were kind of a mutinous against SL taxation, a tactic which worked. Linden Labs conceded defeat and land parcels were invented as a way to fund SL instead.)

Ahern's southern neighbour Morris has public sandboxes and some historic relics from SL's earliest days. (To the south of Morris is Oak Grove, which features SL's oldest cowboy town, which has been restored by it's original builders and Moles. (Further south is Balance, the Vehicle Testing Sandbox, where one may build or test drive a vehicle.) To the east of Morris is Rizal, which has a small amusement park with a lake.)

That whole west part of Sansara continent is a treasure trove of SL history and is a place I'm very fond of.

Edited by SarahKB7 Koskinen
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 8

8 minutes ago, Janet Voxel said:

So nobody’s going to tell me what Ahern is, huh?

I didn't think you were serious at first.

Ahern is a old set of four welcome hub regions on old mainland collectively referred to as Ahern, though only one of them has that name, which meet at the corners.  They are an infamous hangout spot and have seen a lot traffic over the years though they are much quieter now.  It was infamous back in the day for griefers and people who like to talk crap a lot.  The former have largely gone but there are still some of the latter.  To be fair there were not that long ago a bunch of older accounts that were really pleasant and fun to chat with.

https://maps.secondlife.com/?q=ahern&s=Places

Edited by Gabriele Graves
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2

3 hours ago, Silent Mistwalker said:

I'm sorry but all of those things are fairly common knowledge and are used quite frequently by many as are all the features. Some are used more frequently and by more people, others not so much but all are used at some point. 

So don't be surprised if this is the only response the thread gets. As long as I have been in SL, I can't think of any feature that doesn't get used.

Don't assume everybody, I've been here 5 years and had no idea about the XML thing and had never heard of Ahern. May people who have been here 10+ years would know, but not all of SL does.

One to add to the feature list, most avid builders are probably aware of this already , but you can type numbers in to the build window and add a - or + to add subtract, there is a copy/paste button to for rotation, position, size to copy between objects. Found out about those during one class at Builder's Brewery, went nearly two years without knowing anything about them.

Edited by MissSweetViolet
Spelling corrections.
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 2

3 hours ago, Luna Bliss said:

I didn't know about your #2 or #3.

One thing many don't know about (though I'm sure plenty of people, especially builders, do) is that if you hit Control-Alt-T at the same time you can see transparent items and maybe even find that thing that went missing.

Oh, and you do the same to get rid of the red (someone messaged me about that after I instructed them to activate 'highlight transparency' and they got tired of the red look...lol...

A surprising number of people don't know about Area Search, very useful (as well as ctrl-alt-T) for finding things you lose.

You can sort the Area Search list by range, owner etc to find things. Also extremely useful when shopping if you know some of the name of the item you're looking for, can zoom straight to it from Area Search list.

Edited by AmeliaJ08
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, SarahKB7 Koskinen said:

Ahern was one of SL's earliest Welcome Hub style sims, set up by the Lindens in 2003. It's located just to the west of SL's most oldest sim regions.

One of Ahern's corners was used in conjunction with three other neighbouring sim corners (Morris, Bonifacio, Dore) as an open mic high capacity chat arena, until voice was turned off there a couple of years ago to prevent arguments, trolling, griefing and other offences.

To the west of Ahern is Dore, which features the impressive Yamato building with a walkthrough Welcome Hub style tutorial.

To the east of Ahern is Lusk and the Luskwood community.

Ahern's southern neighbour Morris has public sandboxes and some historic relics from SL's earliest days. To the south of Morris is Oak Grove, which features SL's oldest cowboy town. To the east of Morris is Rizal, which has a small amusement park with a lake.

That whole west part of Sansara continent is a treasure trove of SL history and is a place I'm very fond of.

Thank you, I'm a big fan of exploring the historical regions and taking in the lore hehe. I'm going to visit :)

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, MissSweetViolet said:

Don't assume everybody,

I didn't. Never even used the word everybody. Never said one word about people or any person just FEATURES. I said "fairly common" not "common"; there is a difference.

None of the things people are listing are features NO ONE USES like the thread title says. My response was that SOMEONE uses them at SOME POINT, therefore they all get used. Especially the ones the residents convinced LL to add which have been a ton of things in 20 years.

image.png.e54d18eb3978e2d213f3476aea9bf7ac.png

Edited by Silent Mistwalker
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1

4 hours ago, Charlemagne Allen said:

Ahern still is a thing.

It's a shell of it's former glory. When LL removed voice chat from the most popular infohubs, they gutted a huge portion of what made SL into SL. Goodbye activity. Every time I go to Ahern now, it's like 4 guys, discussing philosophy.

Edited by Midnoot
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Gabriele Graves said:

I didn't think you were serious at first.

Ahern is a old set of four welcome hub regions on old mainland collectively referred to as Ahern, though only one of them has that name, which meet at the corners.  They are an infamous hangout spot and have seen a lot traffic over the years though they are much quieter now.  It was infamous back in the day for griefers and people who like to talk crap a lot.  The former have largely gone but there are still some of the latter.  To be fair there were not that long ago a bunch of older accounts that were really pleasant and fun to chat with.

https://maps.secondlife.com/?q=ahern&s=Places

The best thing about Ahern is, it's near Luna!!!

I met all my old besties (mostly gone now) at Luna, from Ahern, Dore, etc. And the trolley!!!1!!

(IMHO)

• Like 3

Just now, Midnoot said:

It's a shell of it's former glory. When LL removed voice chat from the most popular infohubs, they gutted a huge portion of what made SL into SL. Goodbye activity. Every time I go to Ahern now, it's like 4 guys, discussing philosophy.

You should try to teach them "The Philosopher's Song".

13 minutes ago, Silent Mistwalker said:

I didn't. Never even used the word everybody. Never said one word about people or any person just FEATURES. I said "fairly common" not "common"; there is a difference.

None of the things people are listing are features NO ONE USES like the thread title says. My response was that SOMEONE uses them at SOME POINT, therefore they all get used. Especially the ones the residents convinced LL to add which have been a ton of things in 20 years.

image.png.e54d18eb3978e2d213f3476aea9bf7ac.png

Your right, I apologize. That's my fault for misinterpreting. Reading back again, you didn't really imply that. I'm sorry.

Edited by MissSweetViolet
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Don't anyone ever feel bad for not knowing it all, because I think it's like mathematics. I doubt any one person anywhere knows everything about SL. It's just too much to cram and retain.

It took me 8 years to realize I didn't have to sit there and keep typing numbers into the rotations slots in the editor. You can just hit CTRL and grab a wheel and rotate the dern thing.

It hurts to sit now, from kicking myself so hard.

Edited by PheebyKatz
  • Like 4
  • Haha 1

19 minutes ago, Love Zhaoying said:

The best thing about Ahern is, it's near Luna!!!

I met all my old besties (mostly gone now) at Luna, from Ahern, Dore, etc. And the trolley!!!1!!

(IMHO)

The old Luna shopping mall thing is still there too.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 88 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.