"People that play Near You" search option In Second life

Fear Reaper

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 207 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Second Life is a GREAT virtual reality game. It's a combination of a great time sink and a great way to meet new people ALL around the world.

It's no secret that a lot of people who play Second Life try to find their significant other, and Second Life makes bank off land and adult marketing. So expanding the idea of virtual dating wouldn't be a bad idea. However, one of the most common problems everyone faces is distance. For example, for most people in the United States, it would probably be more interesting to chat with someone 20 to 40 miles from you. Rather than talking to some troll in Europe. ((I mean the game has survived for 15+ years with this mindset too!))

However, this game has been out for 15+ years, and instead of continuing to meet ONLY people all around the world. Wouldn't it be interesting if there was an option to see who plays Second Life near you? Dating apps like Kippo already have this feature with no negative impact and I was wondering could second life add it.

Basically, Second Life could just put in an option for players who WISH to share their state & city. ((THIS DOES NOT MEAN GIVING OUT YOUR FULL ADDRESS;  It would basically be like other dating apps)) then just add a search option for people who play 20-50 miles from you.

Anyway, this is just food for thought...

• Haha 1
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, Stitch Kealoha said:

Second Life is a GREAT virtual reality game. It's a combination of a great time sink and a great way to meet new people ALL around the world.

It's no secret that a lot of people who play Second Life try to find their significant other, and Second Life makes bank off land and adult marketing. So expanding the idea of virtual dating wouldn't be a bad idea. However, one of the most common problems everyone faces is distance. For example, for most people in the United States, it would probably be more interesting to chat with someone 20 to 40 miles from you. Rather than talking to some troll in Europe. ((I mean the game has survived for 15+ years with this mindset too!))

However, this game has been out for 15+ years, and instead of continuing to meet ONLY people all around the world. Wouldn't it be interesting if there was an option to see who plays Second Life near you? Dating apps like Kippo already have this feature with no negative impact and I was wondering could second life add it.

Basically, Second Life could just put in an option for players who WISH to share their state & city. ((THIS DOES NOT MEAN GIVING OUT YOUR FULL ADDRESS;  It would basically be like other dating apps)) then just add a search option for people who play 20-50 miles from you.

Anyway, this is just food for thought...

I get the appeal of this, I do really. But, as UnilWay has suggested above, this isn't really well suited to SL. If you want to meet someone in RL, use an RL dating app.

I can almost see this becoming a bit like voice: "Why won't you add your location? What are you hiding?"

It's also potentially a bit hazardous.

Edited by Scylla Rhiadra
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 10

1 hour ago, UnilWay SpiritWeaver said:

This is probably the least desirable outcome for a LOT of SLers.

The last thing most of us want is for SL to merge itself into RL.

If I want that, there are apps for it.

Well, you could always just be the guy who keeps real-life information hidden.

However, you're right about other apps. Kippo and Snapchat already have this where you can customize your own avatar and then set up your dating profile. Kippo will ask about interests, BIO, Age, and a lot of other personal information. However, what are the drawbacks to Kippo and Snapchat?  The avatars and homes just suck compared to Second Life.

Kippo avatar - https://gyazo.com/ded961e5df0cca3025c1d16af22dedbe

Kippo Homes - https://gyazo.com/e069da9f2007a2f3e4c922da85ef189f

KippoVERSE - https://gyazo.com/188caab525d668577612f5839dcbb84a

Kippo Dating - https://gyazo.com/60a7e963b21d4b768321ba9d05ba1dae

SnapChat's avatar -https://gyazo.com/5576b2b1be71a66e83ceb70b91ed81d8

SnapChat Dating - https://gyazo.com/ae06dcb09a95a09d3d09e5456e9a3ca2

Second Life could easily dominate the competition with their avatars and Linden homes being more viable, and with a mobile viewer for Second Life on the way. Expanding Second Life toward a dating app along with their virtual world would increase revenue. In addition, Second Life has PLENTY of adult content already. They're tons of players looking for more than just a one-night fling with pose-balls.

Edited by Stitch Kealoha
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Krystina Ferraris said:

Ask the developers of Thundr to add an optional “location” feature.

http://maps.secondlife.com/secondlife/Gurshi/122/116/84

I just went to check this out, It's a start. but honestly, I think Location, Age, hobbies, interests, fetishes, multiple profile pictures, and matching could just be ALL more beneficial in Second Life profiles, Other games have this already why not Second Life 1st Life Profiles?

Just another idea for the Second Life premium "Unlimited matches near you" option. Whereas Free Accounts like most dating apps you get to view only 30  match profiles daily with the search near you.

Edited by Stitch Kealoha
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Incorporating such features into the Second Life client itself would be a huge shift in how it is perceived by businesses.

Educational and non-profits who use Second Life would rightly be concerned that negative coverage from a 3D dating app could impact upon their ventures.

It would open a whole new can of worms in terms of privacy across various legal territories.

Hard no.

• Like 12

1 hour ago, Stitch Kealoha said:

I think Location, Age, hobbies, interests, fetishes, multiple profile pictures, and matching could just be ALL more beneficial in Second Life profiles.

you'r totally free to ad that info in your profile, it's meant to give info... so.. 
i'd say, try it and come back in this thread to tell us the outcome ; how many from you neighbourhood / city / region did you meet? And the success-story of course.

For me it would be useless info, i'm not looking for something rl nor close by, inworld is close enough.

Edited by Alwin Alcott
  • Like 6

4 hours ago, Stitch Kealoha said:

For example, for most people in the United States, it would probably be more interesting to chat with someone 20 to 40 miles from you. Rather than talking to some troll in Europe.

So the good people live in the USA and the trolls in Europe.....
Yeah right, so far for a serious discussion.
Tsssk.

• Like 12
  • Haha 5

1 hour ago, Alwin Alcott said:

you'r totally free to ad that info in your profile, it's meant to give info... so.. 
i'd say, try it and come back in this thread to tell us the outcome ; how many from you neighbourhood / city / region did you meet? And the success-story of course.

For me it would be useless info, i'm not looking for something rl nor close by, inworld is close enough.

Many players already do this not just including myself. We also make picks to advertise our hobbies such as video games and anime/shows we've watched. Second Life has a large community of players in the whole relationship thing. You can literally see it everywhere here. - http://maps.secondlife.com/secondlife/Exhale Dance Club/131/95/570

In addition, the reason why I got the Hawaiian last name Kealoha is because I'm stationed in Hawaii for two more years. It's pretty difficult to meet other SL players just in my time zone.

Edited by Quartz Mole
  • Like 2

I mean the game has survived for 15+ years

20+.

For example, for most people in the United States, it would probably be more interesting to chat with someone 20 to 40 miles from you

For a lot of Americans, 20 miles away is "drinks n the same Roadhouse bar at the edge of town". No need for an online system at all.

Rather than talking to some troll in Europe.

Nice...

The "Nice" people live in the US, and "evil foreigners" live elsewhere. Good way to make friends.

Wouldn't it be interesting if there was an option to see who plays Second Life near you?

No, not really.

Dating apps like Kippo already have this feature with no negative impact

SL is NOT a "dating app".

and I was wondering could second life add it.

Oh HELL NO.

17 minutes ago, Stitch Kealoha said:

You know I'm sure Europeans are saying the same thing to us FAT Americans.

No Comment.

• Like 7
  • Haha 3

Rather than an opportunity to find an RL partner, I see SL as a way to temporarily escape from RL.  One of the best things about it is that it is a way of talking to people all over the world, not just those who live near you.  I would be a bit concerned if SL were to develop in the way suggested.  I am married in RL but single in SL and I'm not looking for any sort of RL relationship out of SL at all.  I like to keep my SL and my RL separate.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

Sounds like something Thundr (for example) could integrate along with a search function but... I don't think LL would want something like that, opens up all sorts of new liabilities and I suspect any third party developer like Thundr might think twice because of this too.

As you can see there is quite a lot of pushback against turning SL into a social network or dating service, it wouldn't have to be mandatory but I think people are concerned about how such features might have wider reaching consequences. That said LL don't seem particularly keen to meddle with SL much at all, the course has been pretty straight for its entire 20 year history as far as I can see so probably nothing to worry about.

Edited by AmeliaJ08
  • Like 3

6 hours ago, Stitch Kealoha said:

Wouldn't it be interesting if there was an option to see who plays Second Life near you?

Not really..

6 hours ago, Stitch Kealoha said:

Dating apps like Kippo already have this feature with no negative impact and I was wondering could second life add it.

..some dating apps had this features for many years now. And some people are victimized using this feature (violence, SWATting, etc.) And Second Life is not a dating app.

IF Second Life were to get such a feature, it would obviously have to be "opt-in".

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

I get the appeal of this, I do really. But, as UnilWay has suggested above, this isn't really well suited to SL. If you want to meet someone in RL, use an RL dating app.

I can almost see this becoming a bit like voice: "Why won't you add your location? What are you hiding?"

It's also potentially a bit hazardous.

Plus, using anything like RL location opens up the whole can of worms on RL gender, etc.

• Like 4

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 207 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.