"People that play Near You" search option In Second life

Fear Reaper

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 208 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

17 hours ago, Stitch Kealoha said:

1: It's no secret that a lot of people who play Second Life try to find their significant other, and Second Life makes bank off land and adult marketing.

2: For example, for most people in the United States, it would probably be more interesting to chat with someone 20 to 40 miles from you. Rather than talking to some troll in Europe. ((I mean the game has survived for 15+ years with this mindset too!))

3: Basically, Second Life could just put in an option for players who WISH to share their state & city. ((THIS DOES NOT MEAN GIVING OUT YOUR FULL ADDRESS;  It would basically be like other dating apps)) then just add a search option for people who play 20-50 miles from you.

1: No, a lot of people come on for socialization or to be horny, I've met very few people seeking a genuine relationship in real life.

2: This is so rude I don't even hardly know what to say except that as an American I love meeting people from other countries and this mindset of yours makes me ashamed to share a country with you.

3: Or just use a freaking dating app, That's what their there for. You basically want to have all the fun stuff of SL then meet that person, can't wait to see the look on your face if it ever happens and that girl you've agreed to meet turns out to be a guy. >.>

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

My first reaction was "Hell, no" but then I thought if other people want to use SL to meet people in RL, okay? Their SL, their imagination.

@Love Zhaoyingmentioned that the mobile SL could make a difference in the number of people who want to meet others in RL. I can see that as a possibility.

The problem would be if entitled people would twist this to mean that SL is a RL date service, and start to harass people who do not opt in. But that is what "mute" is for. I already mute those who start digging for RL information. The question "Why don't you have RL pictures and location in your profile" would be an instant way of knowing who to mute.

It would not affect me in any way, unless Linden Lab made RL location mandatory. I can not see that coming.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

5 hours ago, Marianne Little said:

My first reaction was "Hell, no" but then I thought if other people want to use SL to meet people in RL, okay? Their SL, their imagination.

@Love Zhaoyingmentioned that the mobile SL could make a difference in the number of people who want to meet others in RL. I can see that as a possibility.

The problem would be if entitled people would twist this to mean that SL is a RL date service, and start to harass people who do not opt in. But that is what "mute" is for. I already mute those who start digging for RL information. The question "Why don't you have RL pictures and location in your profile" would be an instant way of knowing who to mute.

It would not affect me in any way, unless Linden Lab made RL location mandatory. I can not see that coming.

It'll be just as bad as Kik messenger random chat where you get "22 f USA California you age location" but the location shows different

Edited by belindacarson

16 hours ago, Stitch Kealoha said:

Yeah, absolutely it would have to be an "opt-in". Because then it would be actually invading players' privacy if it wasn't, And others stated a few are married in real life, and would just like to keep the game "second-life".

Opt-in won't stop over-entitled jerk from adding this drek to the list of annoying demand they make of total strangers who happen to have a female avatar.

"Why don't your profile have an RL picture, what are you hiding?"

"Why don't your profile have a link to your FarceBork page with your RL nude selfies, what are you hiding?"

"Why don't you use voice-spam in SL, what are you hiding?

"Why don't you have your Skype Address/Email/Phone No. on your profile, what are you hiding?"

"Why don't you give your RL town, street, and house number in your profile, what are you hiding?"

This may come as a surprise to you but:

1. SL is NOT a "game".

2. SL is NOT a "dating app"

3. Most SecondLifers are NOT here to seek RL dates.

And your assumption that the Official MobileLife Fail-Viewer, when/if it's released some time NEXT year, will result in  "Vast untapped new market of juvenile dating app using jerks who will spend vast amounts of money in SL" is also somewhat spurious.

Experience suggest that most "SL is an RL dating app" types spend almost nothing in SL

They don't splash out on expensive avatar and homes, to have pixel sex, because they intend to meet up in RL for RL sex.

You see these people , almost always guy, showing up in Noob Island Issue Fail-atars, asking "ASL? Voice? Cam? Skype? Nude selfies by Email?", almost always no payment info on file, under a week old.

Your whole plan to "improve Second Dating" is a steaming pile of manure, that will cause nothing but harm to SecondLife.

Edited by Zalificent Corvinus
  • Like 4

To put a different spin on things

I personally requested the ability to share our timezones on our profile, so that other people could see what time it is for you.

Not with the intent of RL dating but rather simply for running events and knowing when it's a reasonable hour to IM people at a glance. Also helps organizing events if you know when everyone is awake.

----

With that said, I want to say that I don't like OP's attitude

On 10/2/2023 at 6:01 AM, Stitch Kealoha said:

For example, for most people in the United States, it would probably be more interesting to chat with someone 20 to 40 miles from you. Rather than talking to some troll in Europe.

Seriously, imagine being labelled a 'troll' for simply being in the wrong country. OP seems to think everybody should play SL like a dating simulator like them, which rubs me the wrong way. SL is many different things to many different people. Just because we're not what you want us to be doesn't make us a 'troll'.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Extrude Ragu said:

I personally requested the ability to share our timezones on our profile, so that other people could see what time it is for you.

Not with the intent of RL dating but rather simply for running events and knowing when it's a reasonable hour to IM people at a glance. Also helps organizing events if you know when everyone is awake.

In my RL company, we recently started using a Microsoft Outlook feature to let people know someone "may be more likely to respond during their 'working hours'. " I believe this includes sending the Timezone info (unless it is part of people's "away messages").

So, since this is a "RL thing", I definitely agree it sounds reasonable and useful for SL also.

I suppose though, that showing someone's Timezone in their profile should "probably" be optional - to accommodate those who would prefer not to share such information.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Alwin Alcott said:

how about typing SLT + 1-12/- 1-12  in your profile .. no messing with the code needed.

The advantage of having it as a drop down is that the viewer can simply display you the actual time for the other person, rather than you having to do the maths in your head. You might say that this isn't that much work, but If you're like me and manage a large community, it takes a lot of time figuring out that information for a large group of users.

Another advantage is that users generally don't think to share that information to begin with - Sharing your timezone is not a concept most people are aware of, especially not tech savvy users who are less than used to the concept they are talking to people around the world, or have never had to run a big even themselves. Having an (optional) drop down is a small visual reminder that such information might be helpful to give.

• Like 2

Just now, Extrude Ragu said:

The advantage of having it as a drop down is that the viewer can simply display you the actual time for the other person, rather than you having to do the maths in your head.

How would that work?

You would have to manually select an "SLT+/-" time from a dropdown in the viewer? (Versus leaving it blank for MYOB)

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Love Zhaoying said:

How would that work?

You would have to manually select an "SLT+/-" time from a dropdown in the viewer? (Versus leaving it blank for MYOB)

Yes I'm imagining a drop down with common city names / timezone offsets, the user would select their timezone from the dropdown.

When you visit that persons profile, the RL time that it is for that user would be displayed, meaning that at a glance you can see what time it is for them without having to figure it out yourself because the viewer has done the work for you.

• Like 2

Just now, Extrude Ragu said:

When you visit that persons profile, the RL time that it is for that user would be displayed, meaning that at a glance you can see what time it is for them without having to figure it out yourself because the viewer has done the work for you.

Just to spell it out here, I assume you mean the RL time "relative to YOUR RL time" would be displayed.

3 minutes ago, Love Zhaoying said:

Just to spell it out here, I assume you mean the RL time "relative to YOUR RL time" would be displayed.

The actual RL time for that user.

For example, an Australian might select "Sydney (UTC + 10)" from the list.

If you then visited their profile the viewer would show you "11:27pm" as that is the current time in Sydney, Australia.

Edited by Extrude Ragu
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

It may not help you much in working out where they were geographically though as in most cases there are quite a lot of countries sharing the same time zone.  For instance, when it's 9.45am in Chicago, it's also 9.45am in Winnipeg, Bogota, Lima and Kingston, among others.

Edited by Helen Zenovka
Typo
  • Like 2

57 minutes ago, Extrude Ragu said:

The advantage of having it as a drop down is that the viewer can simply display you the actual time for the other person, ...

and you want to meet up at club xxx at 2 AM SLT .. you know what follows i think?.... what time is that?
The most logic one is using the difference per player refered to SLT( and there's no single update of viewer or code needed, simply type it in your profile .., it will also prevent confusement for the several different dates people go to DST.
The more you want to add, the more change something will break at any following update, or even this addition could ruin several other settings. Because also a opt in or out has to be added. 

Nobody has to know what time i live. If i'm online, i am online, if not, i'm not. And what times that usual is is nobody's business. (because it will also of course, be something the bots go fishing for.)

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, Love Zhaoying said:

I agree with @Extrude Ragu's suggestion, it is very helpful to know other's timezones relative to yours. Their actual location, not so much useful.

Not THAT useful.

Shift workers for example. Yes somebody might LIVE in SLT+8, but their shift rota means they log into SL on SLT+3, for example, and most of their friends are in the Eastern US.

Do they put the timezone where they live, or the effective timezone that they wake up, work, and relax to.

Doing this might make sense for employees of a multi-national company, but for other SL residents, just because their timezone says they should be awake, doesn't mean they will be logged in or even paying attention. They might be watching TV, or out shopping for groceries, or anything.

In SL, people read your IM's when they read them. They log in when they log in, 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Alwin Alcott said:

and you want to meet up at club xxx at 2 AM SLT .. you know what follows i think?.... what time is that?
The most logic one is using the difference per player refered to SLT( and there's no single update of viewer or code needed, simply type it in your profile .., it will also prevent confusement for the several different dates people go to DST.
The more you want to add, the more change something will break at any following update, or even this addition could ruin several other settings. Because also a opt in or out has to be added. 

Nobody has to know what time i live. If i'm online, i am online, if not, i'm not. And what times that usual is is nobody's business. (because it will also of course, be something the bots go fishing for.)

Yeah, talking about SLT+/- is always awful.

It's much easier to just use GMT+/-, because that's how people talk about time in "Real Life".  In relation to where they are, not some arbitrary time where LL happens to be headquartered!

20 minutes ago, Love Zhaoying said:

Yeah, talking about SLT+/- is always awful.

It's much easier to just use GMT+/-, because that's how people talk about time in "Real Life".  In relation to where they are, not some arbitrary time where LL happens to be headquartered!

but as the viewers, and all LL announcements use the same time announcement, our gmt is SLT(PDT)

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, Alwin Alcott said:

but as the viewers, and all LL announcements use the same time announcement, our gmt is SLT(PDT)

Right! So, just as everyone has to do a calculation in RL for GMT +/-, they have to do the same thing for SLT(PDT).

That's not so bad, if you compare PDT to GMT. 

But I think my point was, when you lookup time zones anywhere (on the web, in your computer's clock settings, etc.) the offset is always from GMT.  So again - my point is, if SL were to use GMT instead of SLT/PDT, no additional calculations are needed.  The GMT offset calculation is "standard".

For random people I meet day to day and chat with, I have no need whatsoever to know what time zone they're in.  I can often figure it out if they say they're about to have dinner and such.  Unless it's someone I've chosen to add to my friend list, at which point I already know the time zone, what does it matter?

I also read profiles when I meet someone.  At the least, the 2nd and 1st life tabs.  The info is often right there.  Maybe requiring people to at least read a dang profile before IMing would be more helpful.  🤔🤣

Edited by Rowan Amore
  • Like 5

A viewpoint from one who organizes group events…

In the sailing community, we have many events that repeat on a weekly basis and event times tend to get fixed at a certain SLT. Participants attend the events having times that work for them. Organizers are not usually concerned with the time zones of individuals. Rather, they might be thinking about countries or geographical regions.

• Like 1

On 10/2/2023 at 1:01 PM, Stitch Kealoha said:

It's no secret that a lot of people who play Second Life try to find their significant other,

actually, in over 15 years I've not met one single person who was looking for this. It really depends on where you hang out and what you do. As others have said, if you wanna date people and find a RL partner, put that in your profile. 

• Thanks 4

5 hours ago, Zalificent Corvinus said:

Opt-in won't stop over-entitled jerk from adding this drek to the list of annoying demand they make of total strangers who happen to have a female avatar.

"Why don't your profile have an RL picture, what are you hiding?"

"Why don't your profile have a link to your FarceBork page with your RL nude selfies, what are you hiding?"

"Why don't you use voice-spam in SL, what are you hiding?

"Why don't you have your Skype Address/Email/Phone No. on your profile, what are you hiding?"

"Why don't you give your RL town, street, and house number in your profile, what are you hiding?"

This may come as a surprise to you but:

1. SL is NOT a "game".

2. SL is NOT a "dating app"

3. Most SecondLifers are NOT here to seek RL dates.

And your assumption that the Official MobileLife Fail-Viewer, when/if it's released some time NEXT year, will result in  "Vast untapped new market of juvenile dating app using jerks who will spend vast amounts of money in SL" is also somewhat spurious.

Experience suggest that most "SL is an RL dating app" types spend almost nothing in SL

They don't splash out on expensive avatar and homes, to have pixel sex, because they intend to meet up in RL for RL sex.

You see these people , almost always guy, showing up in Noob Island Issue Fail-atars, asking "ASL? Voice? Cam? Skype? Nude selfies by Email?", almost always no payment info on file, under a week old.

Your whole plan to "improve Second Dating" is a steaming pile of manure, that will cause nothing but harm to SecondLife.

No one would get to ask me that more than once before they are muted. Click, jerk-b-gone.

Would I want to hear more question after question, when I have no interest in them? Is that a person to have on my friends list? I am not offended that some random person ask if I have something to hide. They are literally nothing to me.

It is not different from the nagging about voice. Or the annoying ASL? that was common in 2008. Or begging for money. If I teleport in some store and get an IM asking for money, I don't bother to discuss or reply. I do not bother to ask why, berate them, or call them pathetic. Mute.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 208 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.