the age of the SL user - I wonder who are the oldest ?

tingelater

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 541 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

On 11/7/2022 at 6:11 PM, Love Zhaoying said:

I would not be surprised if there are centenarians in SL, but they're probably not English speakers, and probably not on the Forums.

Had to look up the therm centenarians  -  but yea that was what i was wondering.

My soon-to-be-90 friend is not in this forum either - nor the +80 or the hand full of Danes i know of who are 70+, 60+ and 50+ like me  .... but I weren't trying to  hang anyone out for their  RL age ... just made me wonder, if there were anyone  WE  (us who use the forum) know of for sure are 90+ ... My friend who turns 90 this weekend, He joined SL at a very mature age, so he will most likely be a candidate to be a centenarian if his health keeps in his favor .

And a comment to a lot of the other "detours" of this topic  -  YAY keep living our  "INNER" ages and not our birth certificate!! I for one LOVES that my avi does not looses her breath or strain a muscle while dancing or  "stuff"   *laughing*

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

On 11/13/2022 at 7:39 PM, Jaylinbridges said:

There are more of us over 80 than most of you kids realize, but we don't admit it.  Age discrimination and stereotypes rule in RL and SL.

In 1961 I took a grad level math course in machine language programming from a Physics professor (there was no such thing as  Computer Science, and the electrical engineering dept was still teaching vacuum tubes and analog computers.)  The ML exams were all about solving simple problems with ones and zeros , long strings of them, and if they crashed the mainframe test system, you failed.  Been in technology since I built my first crystal radio set at age 9, from a public library book published in 1935. Not much is new for me in technology,  just refinements built on past research.  

And I thought I was old here building my first PC in 1992. For me the generation gap is arrows vs WASD. Can do the latter, but it's like driving in the UK, gotta rewire  big time for it :)

• Thanks 1

39 minutes ago, HeathcliffMontague said:

And I thought I was old here building my first PC in 1992. For me the generation gap is arrows vs WASD. Can do the latter, but it's like driving in the UK, gotta rewire  big time for it :)

486DX-2 66Mhz.. or you bought one of those cheap Cyrix procs?

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

I'm 33 years old and been popping in and out of SL for the past 14 years or so, though my account it only 7 years old.

I still remember at the time when I first started playing when I was 18ish, most my friends where 20 to 30 years older then me. 
Though since getting back into SL recently, I have yet to be very social in game so can't say if the same is true yet :P

Been to distracted making my avatars as shiny as possible to even think about being social in a social game PX  

• Like 3

On 11/11/2022 at 4:42 PM, Phil Deakins said:

Quick digression here, but, imo, it's important for those of us who are in later life. Write your life story, with details of how it was back then for you. When you're gone, nobody can ask you about it.

I learned that after my mother died, and I suddenly wanted to know how her father being killed in a mining disaster affected her, but it was too late to ask, and there was nobody else from that generation to ask.

I've done it at the request of a daughter, and I add to it as I remember interesting bits. I'm not planning on leaving yet for a while, but it's all there for when I do :)

<end of digression>

Agreed!!

I started interviewing my mum a few years ago. I got some great stories recorded (video).  Wish i had gotten thru all my questions.  She's still alive, but she's remembering less and less detail of the old stories... it's fading.  sighs. 

We all should write our stories.  Even though some family (stupidly, in my opinion) destroy letters and diaries after people die 'to prevent embarrassment' it is short sighted in my opinion.  Those are actually historical documents, at the very least for families, sometimes, they are actually useful about a time period after enough time passes - even beyond the family.  No matter how embarrassing, in the future when someone's long dead, they will often be interesting insights. 

• Like 1

On 11/15/2022 at 8:08 AM, Phil Deakins said:

Absolutely never too early to start writing it down.

It's not just letting the children know how we lived, and what we did. It's for the grandchildren, and beyond, too.

When I was a boy, only one person in the community had a TV, and I was forced to watch the king's funeral and the queen's coronation on it, along with a room full of neighbours. Bored silly lol. My father had died, so I got a free set of clothes and boots every year. That's part of how I lived that my children would never have imagined and, imo, it's interesting for them. It's the sort of thing I would like to know about my parents.

It's brilliant that your father is writing it all down for you :D

It is never too EARLY.  My partner of 5 years died when we were both in our early 30s. I wish i had more from him now, 30 years on. Even though life went on and has been good, I still miss him. I'm glad I have some of his writing, but I wish he'd written down more of his life experiences... I am lucky I have a letter from him b/c we had to be apart for a couple months once (we phoned each other every day)... i treasure that ONE letter.  It was before email. Maybe the letter would not exist. Maybe we'd have had many emails? 

Anyway...  don't think you're too young to die.  Especially if you have children, leave them something of you.  Write about your life. Write to them.

Write to your partner, if you have one. It will mean a lot.

Edited by DeepBlueJoy
  • Like 3

On 11/21/2022 at 5:29 PM, HeathcliffMontague said:

Nah, just at the brink of DX2, got that later. 33 MHz all the way....

I began years ago with one of those desk eating, OG IBM PCs with the 8086 Intel CPUs and ultra floppy 5 inch disks! No wonder I still run terminal apps in Linux, my preferred desktop/laptop OS these days.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

22 and I made my account at around 18. As a Y2K baby virtual games have dominated my childhood. From Stardolls, to Habbo Hotel, to Zwinky’s, to IMVU. SL was the natural next step lol. 

I noticed that a lot of women who enjoy Sims also come onto second life—at least that’s my circle. I’ve met plenty of young adults on this game, but most people I’ve run into are at least 15 years my senior. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 11/21/2022 at 12:24 PM, HeathcliffMontague said:

I'm left-handed so I had to learn to be ambidextrous. 😋

• Like 1

68 YO and joined SL in 2010.  Just getting back here after a few years absence, I've been spending most of my virtual time in VRchat as a 3D artist and avatar creator.  Way back when I was real active in SL I was not that good with 3D modeling now I'm up to speed with that I'm looking to dive back in and create some avatars for SL.  So, age isn't slowing my down (yet).

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
On 11/6/2022 at 8:48 AM, PheebyKatz said:

Anyone any younger doesn't know forums exist. They've never heard of them, lol. So, how's it feel to be part of the hip, older crowd?

GABBA GABBA, ONE OF US, ONE OF US~

its probably  just because i grew up on the internet because I'm a 1999 kid and i remember forums on deviantart, newgrounds and other old sites. so i like checking in on the sl forums a lot, its great way to find info.

Edited by Devilgrey
typo bc i suck at typing

i joined sl in 2020 when i was 21 because a friend on discord had a account. it's strange i took so long tho, bc ive know about sl since elementary school. if i remember correctly id see ads for it online and maybe on tv (i could be mistaking the tv ads with another thing).

online avatar games have always been my thing. i played tinierme, roblox, and several other ones that no longer exist. it just took me forever to finally join sl. wish i would've joined sooner, but rather now than never UwU

• Like 2

On 11/10/2022 at 2:53 AM, Silent Mistwalker said:

Yep. Now we know we had it backwards when we were young. Once you hit 30, then you realize it's the ones under 30 that can't be trusted! 😁

Yes, absolutely, under 30 are children. They still believe they are immortal.

I am 51 boy, but in RL you would never say that. Strangers think I am 10-15 younger. I am not normal. The most funny reaction: after I said my age the mom of my friend made herself the sign of the cross (she blessed herself) 🤣

• Like 1

On 11/13/2022 at 7:33 PM, Elora Lunasea said:

I remember one person (who I'm still in touch with out of world) celebrated her 18th birthday with us in those early years and we all had a lot of laughs over how much she didn't know that we all took for granted as being common knowledge. But age really does not matter in SL at all. It's always seemed of so little importance. I have friends of all ages here and in my RL. 

Not sure if are referring to the same person, but regardless: I just realized she, along with a man I knew when he was 18, are now almost 40. Wait. How many years has it been. *pulls out a calculator* Yep, I can't count. Okay, they are "only" 34-ish now.

I'm so old I took typing in High School; wrote papers & resumes on the home typewriter, and the television was black & white (the "other" tv).  We also had a Apple IIe at the time, but it was just easier to do certain things on the typewriter. So, the above was deceptive. I'm "only" approaching 47.

• Like 1

On 11/14/2022 at 8:36 AM, Katherine Heartsong said:

This is a great idea, btw. My late father in law never fully explained his exploits in WW2 to me (even though I'm a keen WW2 history buff) and I failed to ask some critical questions, though he was understandably reluctant to talk about certain parts of the war. The records of his medal of heroism are now lost, and no one to turn to for the full details. My own father (86) signed in MLB back in the late 50s and I am getting him to write all his experiences down, and he's gone at it full tilt, thankfully. Writing down his life story with gusto. But never too early to start writing down memories.

One of my grandfather's rose through the ranks to become a General. Fought in WWII, the Korean War, was in the area but I don't think he was involved with the Vietnam war. 

One of my assignments when I was in school was to interview someone (I forget exact language used), and I thought (turns out wrongly) that my brother had interviewed my grandfather for a similar assignment. So I interviewed my grandmother to get a view of what it was like on the home front, and being a high ranking member of the red cross during WWII. 

Wish I had more information about my grandparents (all of them). Lost the chance. And, apparently, there's nothing about any of my grandparents on the internet.  

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 541 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.