the age of the SL user - I wonder who are the oldest ?

tingelater

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 477 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I always thought to never grow up entirely as well, and as long as I worked with children as a teacher, that worked pretty good. Never a dull moment and always in for the unexpected.
But since I'm unemployed/retired I notice that I get more and more and old grumpy fart.
That's life I guess.

Edited by Sid Nagy
  • Like 3
  • Haha 2

8 minutes ago, Sid Nagy said:

But since I'm unemployed/retired I notice that I get more and more and old grumpy fart.
That's life I guess.

It's life, but it's not mandatory :)   It's all in a person's demeanour. If you act old, or act like a grumpy old fart, then that's what you'll be, and that's what people will perceive you to be. Being young at heart causes people to perceive a person as younger than they are - imo, of course. But you're not like a grumpy old fart - not the person who we all see in the forum, anyway. A liking for 'Allo 'Allo characters doesn't make a person 'old' lol.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Sid Nagy said:

Interesting.  I've had the opposite experience. I remember being tense and short-tempered when I was middle-aged, but retirement has mellowed me. I expect that I will someday get to the point that my mother did in her late 80s, when her standard comeback to disappointment was, "It ain't my ship.  Let 'er sink."  I understand what she meant, but I'm not there yet. Still, my relaxed mind has been learning to say, "It'll be OK.  Take a deep breath and chill out."  It's good advice.  I smile more than I used to.

And thank you, Phil. You're the first person here admitting to an age older than mine.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, Phil Deakins said:

It's life, but it's not mandatory :)   It's all in a person's demeanour. If you act old, or act like a grumpy old fart, then that's what you'll be, and that's what people will perceive you to be. Being young at heart causes people to perceive a person as younger than they are - imo, of course. But you're not like a grumpy old fart - not the person who we all see in the forum, anyway. A liking for 'Allo 'Allo characters doesn't make a person 'old' lol.

Yep! Attitude is Everything!

• Like 1

Occasionally, if someone is pissing me off online, I'll mention being a millennial just to see if they take the bait. I've done it on here and elsewhere. They have absolutely snarfed the bait every. Single. Time. I think it's literally irresistible. 

I think people are now finally starting to work out how old the millennials actually are and the "feckless, lazy, stupid, entitled yoof of today bringing about the collapse of society" mantle has passed to Gen Z, who frankly hid behind us for much too long. 

But we're still being blamed for all the avocados.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Amina Sopwith said:

I think people are now finally starting to work out how old the millennials actually are and the "feckless, lazy, stupid, entitled yoof of today bringing about the collapse of society" mantle has passed to Gen Z, who frankly hid behind us for much too long. 

We weren't hiding, you're all just too damn tall. 

Edited by Caeruleiae
  • Like 1
  • Haha 4

I just turned 57 and I have been in SL since 01/08/2019. I made an account because I read an article that SL was not dead :-). I wanted to write about SL and stay a couple of weeks. Well, now I am still here. I was here way earlier, in the beginning, 2003, but it couldn't fascinate me for long then, unlike now.

Edited by archangel969
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, Amina Sopwith said:

It's all the avocados.

That's why we can't have nice things, you wasted all the avocados, I knew it!

It's okay though, eventually we'll get the blame for breaking the earth, I'm sure. 

Edited by Caeruleiae

54 minutes ago, Sam1 Bellisserian said:

I think a lot of older people are who use the forums. The numbers might be quite different if asked this question in-world.

Most (but not all) of my friends in world are as old as me or older.  But ymmv.  Could be the blues community are just a bunch of old f***s.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Caeruleiae said:

That's why we can't have nice things, you wasted all the avocados, I knew it!

It's okay though, eventually we'll get the blame for breaking the earth, I'm sure. 

*hands in pocket whistling innocently*

(Apparently people forgot about the generation who poked a hole in the ozone layer. But I ain't mad.)

Edited by Eddy Vortex
  • Haha 2

5 hours ago, archangel969 said:

I was here way earlier, in the beginning, 2003, but it couldn't fascinate me for long then, unlike now.

Now and then friends of mine IRL would show me this cool new thing they had found called Second Life, and then show me how they could stare at lady avatars all day without being seen, and I'd say oh, how nice for you, you found a sex game, and I'd go back to making my internet paper dolls. Or they'd show me the house they were building and I'd think ah, it's a building game, and go back to chatting on forums. Or they'd tell me how much money they were making selling virtual land or making virtual fashions (I actually found a RL friend's children's outlet inworld, and recognized it from the ad snaps he'd shown me without saying where he sold his fashions), and I'd say oh cool, people pay you for things they can only use in VR, and I'd go back to playing my roleplaying games.

This went on for about ten years, my few brushes with SL being limited in scope, and naturally strongly influenced by whatever aspect they were focused on and felt like showing me. When yet another RL friend several years ago asked me to join this thing she was on so she could talk to me and hang out online, I said okay fine, and she took me shopping so I could play dress-up, and showed me her Collinwood Manor house she was building on the RP sim she lived on, and I finally got to have the avatar that no other platform ever had the tools or the freedom to allow me to make, and I was pretty much instantly hooked.

All that time I'd had no idea that SL was the thing I had been looking for since I first found the internet. But on the advice of Iron Maiden, I've finally managed not to kick myself over all of those wasted years. Still wish I'd joined ten years earlier, though.

Edited by PheebyKatz
  • Like 6

40 minutes ago, Mother Mystic said:

hi. i'm here to change your mind lol

Being younger and knowing about forums doesn't make me wrong. It makes you an exceptional person.

So hah~! XP

XD

Edited by PheebyKatz
  • Thanks 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 477 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.