the age of the SL user - I wonder who are the oldest ?

tingelater

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 479 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I joined because I was doing research on the metaverse. I think maybe I'm the youngest regular in the forum at 36 haha

Honestly though, I would rather not know. I prefer to interact with people as they present themselves. It's more fun. Too much RL breaks the fantasy for me. 

squeezes his eyes shut to forget everyone's age 

Edited by Robberinthemuseum
  • Like 12

part of the allure of SL, at least for me, was the absense of discriminatory judgements randomly applied to a physical body and its social interactions. i have this quote from an oldtimer in my Real Life About that i try to live by: Imagine a world, where race, gender, age, religion, health, location, physical characteristics, class distinction, & socio-economic status do not limit you.

welcome to SL.

• Like 12
  • Thanks 2

Just now, Robberinthemuseum said:

I joined because I was doing research on the metaverse. I think maybe I'm the youngest regular in the forum at 36 haha

Honestly though, I would rather not know. I prefer to interact with people as they present themselves. It's more fun. Too much RL breaks the fantasy for me. 

26, been around since 2008 xD not just SL, but like the internet in general. in fact i also had myspace, hi5 and even aol. i was born with internet access in my room practically. lol i created my first email address when i was like 5. lol no idea why but i did. having so much access to the internet may seem unhealthy but in my case it helped me gain a solid grasp of english, opened my world to digital art, photoshop, video editing. i've learned html and so much more. ^^ 

Edited by Mother Mystic
  • Like 7
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, Robberinthemuseum said:

we're here, I just turend 34 in june, now the qustion shuould be who's under 40s, in here? : b

• Like 5

On 11/6/2022 at 2:13 AM, Robberinthemuseum said:

LOL, my disclosed age is actually younger than my character's age, despite her apparent age being 9. So you'll have to pick between knowing she's about 32,000 years old, and having been hoodwinked with everyone else into thinking she's actually a kid. And a bipedal  humanoid organism. From Earth.

But yeah, despite being honest on the forum, I really do wish people inworld would play more and just pretend it's all as it seems. It'd be way more magical/surreal/immersive/fun for them if they did. And for me. I get tired of people "coming out" to me, as if I was somehow being damaged by not knowing what I could probably figure out on my own if I bothered to try. I really don't need to know how you pee or how you vote in order to have a helathy SL.

I feel a major failing in today's mindset is everyone wanting to know the secret to a magic trick, and then being disappointed when the trick doesn't work because they had to know the secret before even seeing the magic. The truth doesn't set you free in the land of make-believe, quite the opposite. It can utterly destroy any hopes of really experiencing the best part of being there. Then it might as well be Facebutt or something.

PROTIP: Nobody is being saved from anything by insisting on dragging reality into our escape from reality. I'm fine with people pretending. It's why I love SL. We can play, like when we were little and nobody had forced us to box up our imaginations and look down on them as somehow inferior. Imagination is what makes us special, and makes life worth living. Even if it's just someone else's imagination being spoon-fed to you on TV, without it, you'd all be so bored you'd find life intolerable. It is no sin to have a magical life full of make-believe, it's a blessing I wish everyone could enjoy.

Without a healthy and vigorous imagination, life on Earth becomes a life sentence on a dull, grey, prison planet, so if you ever feel like you're living on a prison planet, it can only mean one thing. Your imagination needs to get out more.

Edited by PheebyKatz
  • Like 7
  • Thanks 2

I must have been near 40 when i bought my first laptop , i had no use for computers before that . 45 when i found SL and 5 years on wondering if SL contributed to my feeling that at 50 years old theres nothing left to do but grow old and die .

• Sad 5

11 minutes ago, cunomar said:

I must have been near 40 when i bought my first laptop , i had no use for computers before that . 45 when i found SL and 5 years on wondering if SL contributed to my feeling that at 50 years old theres nothing left to do but grow old and die .

Nooo!! There are SO many books to be read!

61 and been here since 2006

• Like 5

13 minutes ago, cunomar said:

I was a late computer and even later internet person too in the grand scheme of things. I was too social RL back then and knew if I got a PC that it would end up a towel holder or get lost under a pile of stuff and gather dust. I was 28 - 29 first pc, and did nothing but hotmail and sims games on it. I did not grasp the World Wide Web at all. I landed here when I was 34 and before that a bit of yahoo. Second Life is the only reason I know how to actually use my computer, use the internet and so on, the software, the ease of use, everything has come from Second Life and wanting to do all that I do and have done. It is an education no one expects.

• Like 9

I notice someone said all a person over 50 has to look forward to is old age and death. I feel that's horrifically unenlightened. Realizing old age and death are inevitable shouldn't cause one to give up on life, they should inspire one to make the most of it.

I've found that if all a person can see is poop, they probably have their head in the wrong place.

I'm over 50 and learn new things every day. My RL would be intolerable to most people I know, and yet, I can be happy, because the world is still full of things I haven't experienced, and I still have time to experience so many of them.

People stop learning too soon, and feeling like you already know everything only makes life look like a pit of despair. I feel sorry for people who can't see the infinity for the vacuum of space.

Also, I'm actually feeling good about the age reveals, and not because so many people here are older than myself. It's given me some perspective, and, actually, a lot more respect for a lot of my fellow forum-goers, seeing how long they've been in SL, when they joined, and at what ages. I don't normally pry very deeply into anyone's profiles on the forums, so getting to see things like the year someone joined is cool, and adds depth to their other posts, contextually.

It's kinda neato, really. Thanks for this thread.

Edited by PheebyKatz
  • Like 9
  • Thanks 2

I'm 35, so basically 3/7ths in the grave already. I spend most of my day shopping for headstones, nice and picturesque burial plots, and smearing my face with serums to try to cling on to some semblance of youth.

Jokes aside what always amused me was how you really can't tell someone's age on SL... most of the time. Without the limitations of the physical body getting in the way, it seems to me like most people retain a kind of youthful enthusiasm and curiosity.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 4

25 minutes ago, Cinos Field said:

I'm 35, so basically 3/7ths in the grave already. I spend most of my day shopping for headstones, nice and picturesque burial plots, and smearing my face with serums to try to cling on to some semblance of youth.

Jokes aside what always amused me was how you really can't tell someone's age on SL... most of the time. Without the limitations of the physical body getting in the way, it seems to me like most people retain a kind of youthful enthusiasm and curiosity.

true, I had a freind, that i really thought that i'm older than him, i thought he might be 27 or 30 years old max, but he turend out to be 51,
that didn't change my view of him one bit which is a positive one, trully age is just a number!

• Like 7

4 hours ago, SarahThe Wanderer said:

we're here, I just turend 34 in june, now the qustion shuould be who's under 40s, in here? : b

Anyone any younger doesn't know forums exist. They've never heard of them, lol. So, how's it feel to be part of the hip, older crowd?

GABBA GABBA, ONE OF US, ONE OF US~

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

I had always thought the average SL members were gorgeous 20 somethings riding the razor edge of technology like "Ready Player One" and that I'd have trouble fitting in at the ripening age of 54 and my tales of "When i was your age i had to put the phone handset on a box and make a call to get internet at a blazing 56 kbps. If i so much as farted vigorously I'd lose my connection!"

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Charalyne Blackwood said:

I had always thought the average SL members were gorgeous 20 somethings riding the razor edge of technology like "Ready Player One" and that I'd have trouble fitting in at the ripening age of 54 and my tales of "When i was your age i had to put the phone handset on a box and make a call to get internet at a blazing 56 kbps. If i so much as farted vigorously I'd lose my connection!"

We were.

• Haha 2

My first video game console as a child was an Atari 2600, and my high school used Apple IIe computers.   I'll leave it at that, and pretend I am still in my 20s 🙃  From an entirely mental perspective, I feel like I am still a teenager at times, I still like to watch cartoons, I feel awkward around people, I love video games, get excited by marvel movies, although my mannerisms around people have matured. 

But, I will never let father time get me!

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, Istelathis said:

My first video game console as a child was an Atari 2600, and my high school used Apple IIe computers.   I'll leave it at that, and pretend I am still in my 20s 🙃  From an entirely mental perspective, I feel like I am still a teenager at times, I still like to watch cartoons, I feel awkward around people, I love video games, get excited by marvel movies, although my mannerisms around people have matured. 

But, I will never let father time get me!

^5

• Like 3

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 479 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.