the age of the SL user - I wonder who are the oldest ?

tingelater

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 493 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

8 minutes ago, Istelathis said:

My first video game console as a child was an Atari 2600, and my high school used Apple IIe computers.

Nothing will make you feel quite as old as remembering all the computers you have left behind over the years.  My first was an Apple IIe also. I bought it in the early 80s (82?) when my daughter was still in diapers. I've gone through a garbage pile of IBM, Dell, Gateway, and Acer machines since then and have upgraded the homebuilt desktop I use today continually since 2007. The technology has always seemed shiny and fast at the time, but was old and obsolete overnight. As I look back, two things have kept me from becoming old and obsolete too.  First, there's SL, which has kept me learning new LSL coding tricks since 2007. And then there's my daughter, who is now a senior manager in cybersecurity for a large company. I race to keep up a conversation with her these days.  I don't have time to get old.

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Istelathis said:

My first video game console as a child was an Atari 2600, and my high school used Apple IIe computers.   I'll leave it at that, and pretend I am still in my 20s 🙃  From an entirely mental perspective, I feel like I am still a teenager at times, I still like to watch cartoons, I feel awkward around people, I love video games, get excited by marvel movies, although my mannerisms around people have matured. 

But, I will never let father time get me!

My first console was a Sears Pong clone. My high school had Apple 2+/2c. 

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, Love Zhaoying said:

My first console was a Sears Pong clone. My high school had Apple 2+/2c. 

I had a used TRS-80. I got it because my dad bought a new one, the one that didn't leave silver paint scrapings everywhere if you wore punk rock bracelets. I was so jealous of that. Mine left silver paint scrapings everywhere.

My sister had the Atari, but I had hundreds of games on floppy disks, so I didn't care. I remember scoffing at the idea that anyone would ever pay 50 bucks for a single game cartridge. But they sure did. And for like, Asteroid-quality stuff. XD

I'm just grateful I got the model that didn't come with a built-in desk/pedestal thing. That thing looked so awkward, I'd have been embarrassed to show anyone. It wasn't a desktop, it was a freakin' desk! It probably woundn't have even fit in a car for transport. XD

Edited by PheebyKatz
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

36 minutes ago, Love Zhaoying said:

My high school had Apple 2+/2c. 

My high school was behind the times, I remember seeing Apple 2e computers in elementary school and they stuck with them into the next decade.  As it would so happen, the year after I graduated they finally updated all of their computers to Macintosh and some of them were even connected to the Internet.  I don't think my school took computers very seriously, we mostly used them for word processing, or printing out long banners for events.  Those printers were loud and slow, but I can't help but feel a sense of nostalgia whenever I hear one on retro videos.  Better still is when people use them as instruments.

I have an apple 2c in my closet, I bought it a few years ago from a thrift store for $20 USD.  I don't have a power adaptor to turn it on though, I am just holding on to it as older computers are sought after now and as they grow older, their value becomes ridiculous.  I also have an Amiga 1200 I purchased new in the 90s 🥰 It was old technology even back then, and a downgrade from my PC, but so many people swore by them and I wanted to have one while they were still around.  I like to pull it out of my closet every now and then, boot it up, and play a few games on it.  I even had it connected to the Internet, which was pretty fun.

Edited by Istelathis
  • Like 2

26 minutes ago, PheebyKatz said:

I had a used TRS-80. I got it because my dad bought a new one, the one that didn't leave silver paint scrapings everywhere if you wore punk rock bracelets. I was so jealous of that. Mine left silver paint scrapings everywhere.

My sister had the Atari, but I had hundreds of games on floppy disks, so I didn't care. I remember scoffing at the idea that anyone would ever pay 50 bucks for a single game cartridge. But they sure did. And for like, Asteroid-quality stuff. XD

I'm just grateful I got the model that didn't come with a built-in desk/pedestal thing. That thing looked so awkward, I'd have been embarrassed to show anyone. It wasn't a desktop, it was a freakin' desk! It probably woundn't have even fit in a car for transport. XD

Even though I "learned" on some special computers at my dad's office starting about 1977, I didn't get my first computer until 1984. A Commodore 64. By that time, I had programmed the Apple ]['s at school for a few years.

• Like 2

Close enough to 60 to see it coming wayyy faster than I want.

First computer used/touched a massive Wang punchcard system in high school. Owned TRS-80 Model 4, Franklin Apple II clone, then Apple products since a Mac Plus, and also gaming now on a decent PC gaming rig.

Edited by Katherine Heartsong
  • Like 5

Sorry.   I truly didn't intend to derail the thread with my own musings about long-gone computers.  The bottom line in my post is that despite the fact that computers seem to age and head for the grave almost as soon as I unpack them, I am pleased that I don't.  The calendar says that my chronological age keeps climbing but -- knock on wood -- I don't seem to be old yet.  At least not old enough to alarm anyone.  May you be so lucky.

95dc8fd22546f838d201a7134920f7f1.jpg

• Like 5

34 minutes ago, Kylie Jaxxon said:

geez, my HS only had typewriters!!  Now I realize just how old I am, lol

Ditto - and our typing class had a mix of electric and hand typewriters.  The electric ones were new enough that they felt we needed to learn on the manual ones also.

• Like 2

Most of the people I run into in sl are older than me, the ones that say how old they are anyway. Some it seems a little more obvious if you have conversations with them about some rl topics, because they would have to be over a certain age to have done, said, heard or whatever it is we're talking about. Others, it's not really as obvious. In either case I don't personally care, if anything I can learn a lot from people who have seen and done more than me in their lifetimes, no matter their age. I do have a couple friends I made in here who are in their 80s. They're pretty cool people, I Like listening to the things they have to say too. It'll sound weird but it's kind of like having grandparents I don't in rl and they don't mind that. Most people I run into seem to be 45/50 and up. 

I don't often tell people how old I am because they rarely take me seriously after that and letting an arbitrary number like age dictate whether they want to be nice to me or friends seems stupid. I don't give them that chance too often. I get a lot of that whole you're young you can't possibly know this that or the other from people. I also get the creepy people who think I need to be taken under their wing,  and it's not usually a pg wing, or a wanted one in any way. Most people under 35 I run into are arrogant jerks, they're not helping the rest of us any in sl. 

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Katherine Heartsong said:

...touched a massive Wang...

Remember when you could just say the name of a computer and everyone laughed like it was a dirty joke?

If you do, congratulations, you're part of the hip, older crowd. XD

Here's an age-tell for ya, I remember how delighted the librarians were that I took an interest in mastering the Dewey Decimal System, and taught myself how to find any book in the library in a matter of moments. As a reward for this accomplishment, they allowed me to use the card catalog to help other people find books.

And if I was really good, guess what the reward was? I got to sit for hours in the library, making punch cards by hand.

I... really kinda miss all that... I guess you had to be there.

Edited by PheebyKatz
  • Like 4

On 11/5/2022 at 5:26 PM, tingelater said:

Hello i happen to know a few Secondlife users whom in RealLife are quite mature aged, and I wonder if there are more and if it is known who is the eldest user amongst us.

That said, I am WELL aware that some people PRETEND to be a certain age that they aren't really according to their RL birth certificate ....

I know of two - whom i know for a fact are well over 80 years in Real Life. the eldest one turns 90 quite soon.

That made me think if there are anyone older than 90 RL?

The oldest person I know in SL is in her late 70s.

I'm 52 (but don't say that too loudly, my brain hasn't noticed yet). Inworld since 2006.

Edited by Maitimo
  • Like 7

Wow! I am amazed that so many people are admitting to advanced years. I'll do the same. A month from now, I'll be 78 - and proud of it! :D

I've always looked a bit younger than I was, even in my 20s. Later I used to knock 10 years off when asked my age and nobody ever questioned it. I did that until I reached 60 when suddenly I was proud of being 60, and I haven't made out that I was any younger than I am since then.

I came here in 2006 when I was 62. I left for a couple of years, but COVID came along and I came back because of it. In SL, I'm very open about the real me but I've never stated my RL age because it hasn't come up - until this thread.

Edited by Phil Deakins
  • Like 17
  • Thanks 1

51 minutes ago, Phil Deakins said:

Wow! I am amazed that so many people are admitting to advanced years. I'll do the same. A month from now, I'll be 78 - and proud of it! :D

Holy freakin' crap! No way! I had no idea, I thought you were like a 30-something!

See, I keep telling people, age is just a number in SL. Maybe playing inworld helps keep people young. I know it keeps me feeling that way, and I'm sure others here can tell I'm about as mature as a grade-schooler when I'm online. XD

Maybe we all just have this place in common because we're the same kind of people. People who refuse to let reality cast its evil illusions on us full time, and escape to the freedom of imaginative play and creative thinking and problem-solving.

If what I'm seeing here is any indication, I can expect to last at least another 30 or 40 years. Thanks guys, it really makes my day to see so many immortal and indomitable souls refusing to buy into the popular myth of decline via the passing of calendar units.

And I'm not just messing around and having a laugh, when I'm inworld, or even just here, I barely even notice the constant pain and fatigue I normally feel in RL. Maybe play is the best medicine. I know (non-passively) internetting certainly is medicinal; it keeps the mind active, and keeps you learning, and learning certainly helps one to maintain a youthful-er mindset. and mindset often affects overall health, as well.

Anyway, I'm rambling now. 2 pots of coffee and no sleep for two days, go me. Couldn't do that when I was a teenager and still feel this energetic. Maybe I'll get up and do some housework after this.

*flops out on the keyboard and snores through spit bubbles*

Edited by PheebyKatz
  • Like 7

13 minutes ago, Da5id Weatherwax said:

Growing old is mandatory.

Growing UP is optional.

I fully intend to continue to age disgracefully :)

When I was in my 40s, someone described me as being like Peter Pan - not growing up lol. Like you, I have no intention of fully growing up either :)

Edited by Phil Deakins
  • Like 4

15 minutes ago, Phil Deakins said:

When I was in my 40s, someone described me as being like Peter Pan - not growing up lol. Like you, I have no intention of fully growing up either :)

I'll just mention here that I resemble that remark, but then everyone already knows that. XD

*skips off to play kick-the-can in the Twilight Zone again*

• Like 3

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 493 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.