the age of the SL user - I wonder who are the oldest ?

tingelater

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 479 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

On 11/16/2022 at 4:25 AM, Phil Deakins said:

Remembering watching the king's funeral (1952) live on TV must make me feel older than what you feel with computers :D.

One of my earliest tv watching memories inolved being home from school, ill, and watching the Challenger explode live on tv. 

Wait. That happened in 1986. For some reason I thought that was 1983.  hmm. Well, early memory, but I'd been alive before that so I must have earlier tv memories. 

I recently mentioned I remember listening to the last Leafs Stanley Cup winning game on the radio with my dad and grandfather (on my grandfather's farm) and the person I was talking to said, in all seriousness, "The Leafs have won a Stanley Cup?".

Then again, had one university student once say to me, "What's D-Day?" so nothing really surprises me at my age anymore.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Katherine Heartsong said:

Then again, had one university student once say to me, "What's D-Day?" so nothing really surprises me at my age anymore.

It doesn't take long for the collective memory to get muddied or vanish altogether.  In the 1980s, I had college students who couldn't tell me what continent the Mekong River is on, barely a decade after the Viet Nam war ended. I knew people -- my own classmates in the 50s and 60s -- who died there or came back forever changed, but the next generation had no idea where they had fought.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Rolig Loon said:

In the 1980s, I had college students who couldn't tell me what continent the Mekong River is on, barely a decade after the Viet Nam war ended. I knew people -- my own classmates in the 50s and 60s -- who died there or came back forever changed, but the next generation had no idea where they had fought.

In my case - born in 1966 - I never heard of the "Mekong" River BUT:

..In my neighborhood, there are lots of Vietnamese restaurants, and one is "Me Kong".  So, I learned what the "Mekong River" was about 20 years ago because of that restaurant.

5 minutes ago, Rolig Loon said:

It doesn't take long for the collective memory to get muddied or vanish altogether.  In the 1980s, I had college students who couldn't tell me what continent the Mekong River is on, barely a decade after the Viet Nam war ended. I knew people -- my own classmates in the 50s and 60s -- who died there or came back forever changed, but the next generation had no idea where they had fought.

It'd have to get into the collective memory first.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

I was reading the latest posts in this thread and something occurred to me. It's fully 16 years since I joined SL. In 2 years time, I will have been here since before some users were born. I never thought of it that way before. In fact, I'm sure I was here before some of the current users were born.

5 hours ago, Phil Deakins said:

I was reading the latest posts in this thread and something occurred to me. It's fully 16 years since I joined SL. In 2 years time, I will have been here since before some users were born. I never thought of it that way before. In fact, I'm sure I was here before some of the current users were born.

Ummm, no.  I will not be thinking "I've been in world longer than you've been alive."  That just goes too far.  Just forget that you thought that thought, Phil.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 479 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.