SL refuses to acknowledge the problem

Nosathro

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 581 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I see only white clouds and grey figures.  I have contacted SL Support 3 times about this and only I get is thank you letters.  THEY HAVE AND WILL NOT DO ANYTHING ABOUT THIS.  I WILL SOON GET ANOTHER LETTER STATING THAT SINCE THEY HAVE NOT HEARD FROM THE CLOSED THE TICKETS  THIS IS HOW SL OPERATES

You don't say what viewer you are using, which would help tremendously.  Gray figures are usually attributed to a low complexity setting, and in that case you need to up the complexity of avatars around you.  You will find that setting in your preferences.

• Like 3

In general, LL can't do anything about problems on your end.  If they get a pile of tickets from people who are all seeing only white clouds and gray figures, they'll start worrying.  When it's one ticket about a problem that is almost always either in the user's hardware or his Preference settings, there's not much they can do except close the ticket.

You could have a bad graphics card or an unreliable Internet connection, as Rowan suggests, but those things are impossible to diagnose from a distance.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Nosathro said:

I see only white clouds and grey figures.  I have contacted SL Support 3 times about this and only I get is thank you letters.  THEY HAVE AND WILL NOT DO ANYTHING ABOUT THIS.  I WILL SOON GET ANOTHER LETTER STATING THAT SINCE THEY HAVE NOT HEARD FROM THE CLOSED THE TICKETS  THIS IS HOW SL OPERATES

This is almost always a problem on the user's end, so there isn't anything that LL can do.   Most of the time it is because your network sucks or you computer sucks.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, Nosathro said:

You might get better help from random strangers than you would on the SL forums or Support.

A number of things to try.

1. Go to the preferences menu and "advanced" and "clear cache" and relog. This is like unplugging and plugging in your computer (which you can also try.

2. Get the advanced menu in me/preferences and go to the Developer menu and then "Avatar" and try dumping textures, etc. Click on everything. Try selecting the default system avatar and see how that looks.

3. users/your name/app data/second life/user settings
Then delete the XML file called "User Settings".
Nothing bad will happen. This forces the program to re-make that file.

4. Go to VRChat. Oh, wait, that's another game.

Also try dumping down all your graphics settings in me/preferences/graphics, uncheck everything like "Advanced Lighting Menu" and "Anti-aliasing" and see if that improves things.

Edited by Prokofy Neva
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, Nosathro said:

If your support ticket is as vague as your grievance here, no wonder they can't offer you any practical help.

• Like 2

I think  if it's a white cloud, it's a different viewer than FS, since FS is usually an orange cloud..

Try going to the help menu at the top of your viewer, then down to " about" and wait for that to open, then copy that information and post it in here.. It can give a lot of good information to where you may get more answers to what's going on..

Edited by Ceka Cianci
  • Like 3

White clouds and grey textures? Sounds like what I experience if I get dropped at an SL hub when my region is not available for some reason.

If the issue is too many high complexity avatars around, try logging into Pooley or Northsky Channel and see if your avatar and surroundings rez.

Reducing draw distance and the number of non-impostors on the graphics setting can also help.

Good luck!

• Like 1

Orange (or white, or green, but probably not black or octarine) clouds are fixed by doing a Character Test (putting on a classic avatar before putting your old outfit back on, basically). This makes sure you have the few basic parts required to render an avatar, without which, it will simply refuse to do so.

Grey figures are fixed by right clicking on them, and choosing your viewer's equivalent of Display/Render - Render Fully. Possibly have to click "More" a time or two to find it. I avoid this by setting Avatar Imposters in the Graphics Preferences to all but 4 and turning complexity up. It helps a lot, because people a distance from you will still look like themselves, just as sort of a "sprite" instead of a fully-rendered avatar.

Problems with SL support are solved by being in SL long enough to know what they can or can't do, and will or won't do. They care, but they get very busy sometimes. Someone has to watch over the grid full of weirdoes we have going on in there and make sure I'm not nobody is blowing anything up.

Edited by PheebyKatz
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Someone complained to me about grey and half-loaded (blurry) textures once.

I advised them: relog at another, potentially less laggy location, check internet connection, etc, etc. Just wait it out for a little. It happens to anyone at any moment, with any object at some point. The textures in question had been rezzing fine for anyone else for over 5 years.

So they answered back in a rather upset manner: I should not insult their intelligence by 'blaming their computer'. According to them, the product was faulty and they demanded their money back.

People need to learn that some problems in SL can't be blamed on, nor solved by SL or by an SL creator. They both depend on a smoothly-running global network infrastructure to transmit their data. And that infrastructure happens to be the internet, which is vulnerable to all kinds of stuff, including Russian submarines cutting trans-Atlantic internet cables.

• Like 5
  • Haha 2

5 minutes ago, Arduenn Schwartzman said:

Someone complained to me about grey and half-loaded (blurry) textures once.

I advised them: relog at another, potentially less laggy location, check internet connection, etc, etc. Just wait it out for a little. It happens to anyone at any moment, with any object at some point. The textures in question had been rezzing fine for anyone else for over 5 years.

So they answered back in a rather upset manner: I should not insult their intelligence by 'blaming their computer'. According to them, the product was faulty and they demanded their money back.

People need to learn that some problems in SL can't be blamed on, nor solved by SL or by an SL creator. They both depend on a smoothly-running global network infrastructure to transmit their data. And that infrastructure happens to be the internet, which is vulnerable to all kinds of stuff, including Russian submarines cutting trans-Atlantic internet cables.

ha yes, seen that too, but this is pretty common with games too..always blame the game first, its easier, imagine else you have to trouble shoot, oh my.

• Like 1

Just now, Rowan Amore said:

Well, it IS the Halloween season so perhaps the white clouds (ghosts) and grey figures (aliens) were intended?

I was in my white cloud avatar earlier yesterday, hanging with a fellow ghost.  I occasionally put on this rezzing avatar cloud/ghost for the fun of it, wouldn't it be crazy  if the OP was at an event and this was one of the costumes people were using?

Snapshot_266.thumb.png.461abc867f54aac6653868e5fc0a284a.png

Okay, the fellow ghost was a prop, but it was good company :D 

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

On 10/27/2022 at 6:14 PM, Nosathro said:

There are two reasons why this might happen.

1. Your hardware is insufficient. Buy better hardware.

2. Your internet service is insufficient. Pay your internet service provider for an upgrade. Also if you're on wireless, buy an ethernet cable and plug in to your router instead.

Linden Lab is not able to assist with either of these issues.

• Like 2

On 10/27/2022 at 11:14 AM, Nosathro said:

30 minutes ago, Nosathro said:

New computer  internet service has not done any of this before

As someone else has already stated, start the viewer -- you don't even need to log in -- click Help and then About.  Copy all of that info and paste it here.  We will then be able to provide more suggestions based on your specific details.  

Your view of the world is almost surely due to one or more of the below:
1) Your graphics settings in the viewer
2) Your internet service -- just because it is good enough for everything else, does not mean it is good enough for SL, even if you can play other games.
3) Your computer graphics are not adequate for SL -- just because the computer is new, does not mean that it definitely has SL adequate graphics, even if it can play other games.

• Like 2

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 581 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.