Peeve (and probably unpopular opinion)    Music without words.

Do people actually sit around in their homes or in their cars listening to music without words?  For fun?  

What is the point of music if you can sing along, scream, grunt, yodel, yell, whisper, warble, croon or chant?

I don't mind wordless music as background to a movie or when something else is going on at the same time, but just sitting around listening to sounds made by instruments isn't much fun.   I need a story.  I need words.  I need to participate in the music.

• Like 3

8 hours ago, Cinnamon Mistwood said:

What is the point of music if you can sing along, scream, grunt, yodel, yell, whisper, warble, croon or chant?

I assume you mean "can't" or "cannot" here, since the main subject of your post seems to be, preferring music WITH words. I wasn't aware grunting or yodeling used words, unless you meant "yodeling and/or grunting along with the words"?
There are some interesting songs with vocalizations but no words. Two examples: "Hocus Pocus", by Focus (with yodeling), and "Several Species of Small Furry Animals Gathered Together in a Cave and Grooving With a Pict" by Pink Floyd (with various mumbles and grunts I think, in addition to words). 
Then there's the newer "Mumble Rap" genre..I found a good example of that, but the intro is fairly offensive so I left it out: "No Words" by Hopsin.

*edit* Found the Mumble Rap song I was looking for, "Chacarron" by El Chombo.

Edited by Love Zhaoying
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

17 hours ago, Cinnamon Mistwood said:

Do people actually sit around in their homes or in their cars listening to music without words?  For fun?  

I don't mind wordless music as background to a movie or when something else is going on at the same time, but just sitting around listening to sounds made by instruments isn't much fun.   I need a story.  I need words.  I need to participate in the music.

Different music fits different moods and purposes. Calming (even boring) music with no words is perfect for lowering anxiety and helping me fall asleep. When I'm feeling stressed out nearly anything can irritate me, including music with words. If I'm reading the forum or something else, I also don't want lyrics interfering with my thoughts.

Edited by Persephone Emerald
spelling correction
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Cinnamon Mistwood said:

Um, yes.  A lot of the time.  Examples in this topic.

Edited by Garnet Psaltery
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

I got one for you guys, and it is in two parts:

Part 1: people who show up on a sim built for maximum exploration enjoyment, and do nothing except try to find every avatar associated with a dot, jumping in the air and on rooftops, just trying to find and bother anyone they can, because they don't know how to cam around and IM people to say hello instead. It looks foolish and annoys other users.

Part 2: knowing that if I teach them how to cam around and IM people to say hello, they will do that to everyone instead, and be even more annoying to other users.

Edited by PheebyKatz
  • Like 2
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, Cinnamon Mistwood said:

It depends what mood you're in! I like to listen to dark ambient when I'm reading, as I find vocals too distracting. And I think 'The Disintegration Loops' by William Basinski is one of the most amazing things I've ever heard (I know I always say that xD) which always makes me cry, with no vocals at all...

And this gives me an excuse to mention Felt for the 100th time 🤪 one of the things I loved about them was how they'd have a vocal song and then an instrumental on all the early albums...but fair enough if it peeves you! 👍

• Like 2

You're mistaking music and songs as the same thing.

A song is a short poem or a set of lyrical words set to music that are meant to be sung.

Music is a wordless melody without lyrics or singers. Sometimes called an instrumental.

Edited by SarahKB7 Koskinen
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Rat Luv said:

but fair enough if it peeves you! 👍

I think, if they don't like songs without words and ever have a wedding, they should distribute lyrics to be sung with "The Wedding March" such as:

Here comes the Bride,

All dressed in white!

How'd she choose a groom who's so

Short, fat, and wide?

Here comes the Bride,

All dressed in white!

Looks to me she'll always have

6 kids at her side!

etc.

• Haha 3

2 minutes ago, Love Zhaoying said:

I think, if they don't like songs without words and ever have a wedding, they should distribute lyrics to be sung with "The Wedding March" such as:

Here comes the Bride,

All dressed in white!

How'd she choose a groom who's so

Short, fat, and wide?

Here comes the Bride,

All dressed in white!

Looks to me she'll always have

6 kids at her side!

etc.

:o:o

Somebody did that with a UK sport TV show theme...

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

9 hours ago, Silent Mistwalker said:

Never offer a Scot anything that isn't single malt!

Most Scots I know aren't that bothered with single malt whisky, and in reality it is an entirely pointless, idealistic concept used to make pretentious people cough up more dough for the stuff.

My father and I attended a beer & whisky festival once where my father happened to be in an extra-Besserwisser kind of mood. He'd just been put in the background as I was chatting up a mead brewer and trying my way through their stock, whilst my father was kind of sipping on a mead and didn't understand any of what was being said, so when we were done (to the relief of the ever-growing queue behind us) he pointed at a booth across the floor by a whisky brand that are a favourite of us both. We sauntered over and I started sampling away, and this time my father decided to be the chatty one. The Scotsman behind the counter was really nice and chatty as well, but he looked a little perplexed when my father claimed that 'a whisky should be kept on the tongue for one second, for each year it had been aged', to which he replied 'nae, aa've 'erd tha' before but it ain't nothin' aa'll recommend, see whisky's jus' like anythin' else an' people appreciate tha' different flavours their oo'n way - so if ye're likin' t'ae keep tha' whisky in yer moo'th for eighteen seconds that's good on ya, but if ye need tha' much spit t'ae release tha' flavours, sounds t'er me like ya probably jus' haven' put enough water in it before havin' a sip'. 

My father then tried to make light of people who drink 'real whisky' with ice and how that surely was a faux pas (in a rather obvious attempt to change topic), to which the response was a little something like 'again, however people want'ae be enjoyin' their whisky is their business, personally aa'm quite fond of havin' a smooth whisky on tha' rocks as an alternative t'ae a gin 'n tonic on a warm day out'. 

That's when my father made the grave mistake of saying that's fine, as long as it isn't with a single malt because that's too fine, and that only blended whisky was suited to be served with ice. Turns out the man we'd been talking to wasn't the master distiller of the distillery as we'd thought, as we'd read in the little pamphlet he would be in the booth - but the distillery's master blender, who obviously was very proud of what he was doing; blending whisky is as much of an art as distilling the stuff is, if not more so because their job is to take whisky from several different batches (and even distilleries, when we talk 'blended') to produce a consistent product that should always be the same, and that to a level of precision that any whisky expert in the world should be able to name exactly which one it is in a blind test, whether it was bottled in 1980 or 2020. Furthermore, 'single malt' whisky doesn't mean that it isn't blended - unless it's single cask, it almost certainly is: the difference between what people refer to as 'blended' and 'single malt' is that 'blended' can use whisky produced in various different distilleries, whilst a single malt is blended only from casks from a single distillery, but can still contain a variety of differently aged and distilled whiskies to produce a drink of the same level of consistency as a 'blended' whisky does.

If you do a batch of whisky and fill 100 casks, 10 years later you've got 100 different whiskies with their own characteristics depending on a huge variety of factors down to details such as how old the oak tree was when it was cut and whether it grew somewhere humid or somewhere drier, and unlike American whiskey laws which require a fresh barrel every time (which had nothing to do with the whiskey, but was a measure to protect the coopers' trade), Scottish whisky barrels can be used several times and have their characteristics changed from time to time, with age and how much tannins are absorbed by the spirits. It takes some very fine taste buds and knowledge of the individual flavours of a whisky to then take those 100 casks and mix them together in such a way that when you or I go to the pub and order an Ardbeg (which is single malt), we immediately go 'yeah, that's an Ardbeg'. 

In many ways, single malt whisky is like Cuban cigars. Yeah, there are a lot of them that are really up there in terms of quality, but it's not an assurance of quality in any way, shape, or form. I've had good and bad single malt whiskies, and I've had good and bad Cubans, and the best cigar I ever had happened to be Dominican (although you never really can go wrong with a nice Romeo y Julieta, or Cohiba - I used to smoke their cigarillos a lot!).

.. .. /rant? And uh, pet peeve: Besserwissers?

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

5 hours ago, Cinnamon Mistwood said:

I love this peeve, it's so specific, perfectly mundane, and utterly harmless that I laughed as I read through it.

And as a person who loves music with tales and stories, but ALSO listens to things that closely resemble a brick in a tumble dryer on high, I really can't explain the appeal of the latter.

Sometimes I just like industrial rhythmic grime.

Sometimes it's beautiful instrumentals.

But I kind of bring my own story to them, so the result is sorta the same as listening to a ballad.

Most of the times it's just tone-setting because I'm a sucker for that. If I'm drawing something horror-esque, I put on corresponding music, etc.

The vibes, to me, are usually more important than lyrical substance concerning music choice.

Edited by cariboustag
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 2

2 hours ago, Orwar said:

if ye're likin' t'ae keep tha' whisky in yer moo'th for eighteen seconds that's good on ya, but if ye need tha' much spit t'ae release tha' flavours, sounds t'er me like ya probably jus' haven' put enough water in it before havin' a sip'. 

Reminds me of when I trying wine of different ages, and the wine expert at the store said that "old dry wine is for dusty old men" because I admitted that I didn't care for the drier older varieties. (Not sure what I was referring to, probably some white wines.)

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Cinnamon Mistwood said:

All the time. I have always had a hard time listening to songs because I can't make out the words easily. I've never been able to understand why, but sung words often sound like mush to me or I miss key words so they just don't make sense. I couldn't tell you the lyrics to most songs.  Sung words are enough of an annoyance that I usually turn them off and find something instrumental to listen to.  Interestingly, choral music doesn't bother me, probably because I don't expect to unweave what's going on in the separate voices.  I just listen to the music and ignore the words.

• Like 6

7 hours ago, Cinnamon Mistwood said:

Meeeeee! Every single day!

A long time ago, I used to write creatively (short stories, novels, etc.) to music. It helped if the music had no vocals or, if it did, they were sung in another language, as they would typically distract me away from the flow of my own words. You know - the ole type what you hear thing. 😂 As writing was quite a meditative process for me, too much singing would kind of pull me out of the zone, unless it was something like Lisa Gerrard or Natacha Atlas. Their voices had the direct opposite effect and I had no trouble writing to their songs, even if sung in English. 

Now, on a daily basis, much of the music I listen to is not sung in English, so I don't really miss not having lyrics to sing along with during the times I opt for instrumentals. I have plenty of vocal music in English, too, but I'm all over the place (quite literally) in my Spotify playlists. One minute it's English, the next it's Arabic, then German, then Greek, then Turkish - sometimes within the same playlist (rap, for instance). I have no idea what's going on there, lyrically, but I know I like it!

Also, sometimes these days, I get pretty bad anxiety at times (probably because I stopped writing...but that's a whole other peeve), and my preferred and trusted way of calming the nerves is via Dubstep and what I call "Chillstep" (UK minimal dubstep, not Skrillex - I will strangle anyone who suggests him to me 🤣). Blasting music with slow, repetitive drum patterns and rhythmic bass (deep, deeeeeeep, deeeeeeeeeeeeeep dirty bass) does wonders for calming my overall body tension and eases me into a comfy, cozy puddle. At times, it's the only way to relax myself enough to unclench my jaw. Don't ask, I don't know. I could fall right asleep to the stuff in broad daylight.

In case anyone is wondering how on Earth dubstep is relaxing, this is the style I mean: 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3

I have instrumental music playing when I read every single day.  There's always some other noise going on in the house so putting on headphones and some instrumental music while reading is perfect as it drowns out background noise but there are no words to distract from my reading.

• Like 7

6 minutes ago, Love Zhaoying said:

Some of my favorite "Classic" Rock (Guitar-oriented Rock) songs are Instrumentals.  I'll post those eventually over on the "Whatchoo listnin' too" thread.

Definitely not rock, but your post also reminded me of flamenco and hybrid flamenco-lounge music (you said guitar-oriented, so there!). That's also kind of nice to relax to at times.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, Love Zhaoying said:

I have the same issue, with "R&B" music especially.

Yup. That and rap music. Rap makes absolutely zero sense to my brain. It's not only a wild jumble but it's so fast that my brain doesn't have time to unravel it.  With R&B, I can sometimes just try to zone out and listen to the melody.  With rap, I just walk away. It's not the music; it's me.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

33 minutes ago, Rolig Loon said:

All the time. I have always had a hard time listening to songs because I can't make out the words easily. I've never been able to understand why, but sung words often sound like mush to me or I miss key words so they just don't make sense. I couldn't tell you the lyrics to most songs.  Sung words are enough of an annoyance that I usually turn them off and find something instrumental to listen to.  Interestingly, choral music doesn't bother me, probably because I don't expect to unweave what's going on in the separate voices.  I just listen to the music and ignore the words.

More evidence we're sisters, Rolig.

In college, one of my professors studied "speech intelligibility in the presence of noise". I was his favorite guinea pig because even a little noise renders me voice impaired. Music is often noise when I'm trying to understand lyrics. There are singers who enunciate clearly and recording engineers who know how to keep the vocals clear, so there are songs I understand and enjoy. The rest are just fodder for misunderstanding, which I also enjoy.

Though I don't keep score, I'll estimate that about half the time I inquire about or search for a restroom, I hear John Fogerty's voice.

Edited by Madelaine McMasters
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1