Creators dropping Belleza Freya support in their droves. It's making shopping more and more frustrating! Seemed to happen when Kupra came out - which is weird, its hardly a like for like swap. 

Edited by Kat Kassner
typo
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Kat Kassner said:

Creators dropping Belleza Freya support in their droves. It's making shopping more and more frustrating! Seemed to happen when Kupra came out - which is weird, its hardly a like for like swap. 

It’s been gradually happening for a while. A couple creators here and there over time really adds up. The last couple of years have been a merry go round as far as bodies go. Creators dropped Freya, picked up Kupra, dropped Kupra and picked up Ebody. Who knows what’s next?

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Janet Voxel said:

It’s been gradually happening for a while. A couple creators here and there over time really adds up. The last couple of years have been a merry go round as far as bodies go. Creators dropped Freya, picked up Kupra, dropped Kupra and picked up Ebody. Who knows what’s next?

Yeh, you'd think making for most of them would be the way to go - more income - but I guess that's super time consuming. I'm sticking with my Freya as long as I can.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Kat Kassner said:

Yeh, you'd think making for most of them would be the way to go - more income - but I guess that's super time consuming. I'm sticking with my Freya as long as I can.

This is where I was about 2 years ago with Slink Physique. It's all but impossible to find outfits for it now.

It's a sort of unplanned but very convenient and lucrative system of obsolescence built into SL's economic system.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

2 minutes ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

This is where I was about 2 years ago with Slink Physique. It's all but impossible to find outfits for it now.

It's a sort of unplanned but very convenient and lucrative system of obsolescence built into SL's economic system.

People have wondered why Maitreya stuck with just the one body. I think they're just starting to figure out she knew wtf she was doing.

• Like 7

5 minutes ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

Everything has a shelf life it would seem. 

This makes me resent creators in Second Life though. 

I still have some fantastic tools created by someone which still work well. They used to update for free as needed, yet were never very expensive, and I would not have minded having to purchase new ones.

Whereas another creator who created an all-in-one multi-purpose HUD charged a lot for the original HUD and there were no free updates. That was a useful tool, because of being all-in-one, but is now totally obsolete.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Silent Mistwalker said:

People have wondered why Maitreya stuck with just the one body. I think they're just starting to figure out she knew wtf she was doing.

Well, certainly whatever she's done, it's worked. In fairness, though, while there is still only the one body, there are now two add-ons. Petite is not hugely popular, but it is well-supported.

What I meant by "unplanned" obsolescence was actually the spill-over effect for other creators. Were, for instance, I to exchange my current Genus head for a LeLutka EvoX, I'd be looking at having to do some pretty extensive and expensive shopping -- for new skins, hair bases, and scores of new makeup sets. On the one hand, I am sure that clothing creators groan inwardly whenever a new body becomes popular -- but it must also represent a pretty tempting opportunity. Switching over from Frey to Kupra (or whatever) is going to mean having to buy a lot of new, more up-to-date (and probably more pricey) clothing.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

Well, certainly whatever she's done, it's worked. In fairness, though, while there is still only the one body, there are now two add-ons. Petite is not hugely popular, but it is well-supported.

What I meant by "unplanned" obsolescence was actually the spill-over effect for other creators. Were, for instance, I to exchange my current Genus head for a LeLutka EvoX, I'd be looking at having to do some pretty extensive and expensive shopping -- for new skins, hair bases, and scores of new makeup sets. On the one hand, I am sure that clothing creators groan inwardly whenever a new body becomes popular -- but it must also represent a pretty tempting opportunity. Switching over from Frey to Kupra (or whatever) is going to mean having to buy a lot of new, more up-to-date (and probably more pricey) clothing.

I know what you meant. 😝

That was one major reason I went with Maitreya. Another being I know how long she has been in SL and have watched her work evolve over the years. I've always loved her work, just couldn't afford to buy more than boots or shoes on rare occasion. 

At one point, if I had had the money, I would have bought every pair of boots and shoes she created. Or nearly every pair.  🤭

Edited by Silent Mistwalker
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Silent Mistwalker said:

That was one major reason I went with Maitreya. Another being I know how long she has been in SL and have watched her work evolve over the years. I've always loved her work, just couldn't afford to buy more than boots or shoes on rare occasion. 

At one point, if I had had the money, I would have bought every pair of boots and shoes she created. Or nearly every pair.  🤭

I currently wear 3 1/2 different bodies, using shapes that make them all look more or less the same, at least with clothes on (which is 99.9% of the time): Slink, Legacy Perky, Maitreya, and Maitreya Petite. Which I use depends mostly on what I am wearing -- inevitably, of course, because Maitreya is so well-supported by creators, I wear it (or Petite) most.

I'll admit that Maitreya is not my favourite, aesthetically speaking, but I'll give her points for having produced a very usable and intuitively controlled body. And I'll give her MAJOR points for packaging Petite as an add-on, rather than issuing it as a whole new (and pricey) body.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Kat Kassner said:

I'm sticking with my Freya as long as I can.

I think a lot of people actually have stuck with Freya and a lot of people actually don't change bodies as much as it seems. The problem is the snowball effect of polls and word of mouth. It shows the importance of keeping your consumers feeling supported.

The same thing is happening to Genus right now.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

I currently wear 3 1/2 different bodies, using shapes that make them all look more or less the same, at least with clothes on (which is 99.9% of the time): Slink, Legacy Perky, Maitreya, and Maitreya Petite. Which I use depends mostly on what I am wearing -- inevitably, of course, because Maitreya is so well-supported by creators, I wear it (or Petite) most.

I'll admit that Maitreya is not my favourite, aesthetically speaking, but I'll give her points for having produced a very usable and intuitively controlled body. And I'll give her MAJOR points for packaging Petite as an add-on, rather than issuing it as a whole new (and pricey) body.

The only other body I use (on my alts) is the Ebody. And not the one that is updateable. One body per account. I can't afford more.

• Like 1

On 3/4/2022 at 10:57 PM, Scylla Rhiadra said:

Were, for instance, I to exchange my current Genus head for a LeLutka EvoX, I'd be looking at having to do some pretty extensive and expensive shopping

I have both the Genus Strong head (free) and the LeLutka EvoX Kaya (also free), plus a lot of skins and makeup that were obtained either free or on sale (mostly). I spent several days setting up nicely proportioned avatars with them, with pleasing and similar (to me, anyway) facial features.

I have to say that I prefer the LeLutka head. The interface is MUCH more intuitive and easy to use. It takes up a lot less screen and script real estate too, since there is only one HUD.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Lindal Kidd said:

I have both the Genus Strong head (free) and the LeLutka EvoX Kaya (also free), plus a lot of skins and makeup that were obtained either free or on sale (mostly). I spent several days setting up nicely proportioned avatars with them, with pleasing and similar (to me, anyway) facial features.

I have to say that I prefer the LeLutka head. The interface is MUCH more intuitive and easy to use. It takes up a lot less screen and script real estate too, since there is only one HUD.

Someone else mentioned the Genus Strong head was still free but when I went to get a copy, it was wanting 3300L$. Off to go find the free  LeLutka EvoX.

Ps-The Kaya is no longer free either.

Edited by Arielle Popstar

14 minutes ago, Arielle Popstar said:

Someone else mentioned the Genus Strong head was still free but when I went to get a copy, it was wanting 3300L$. Off to go find the free  LeLutka EvoX.

I don't believe Lel has a free head available at the moment. That's odd about Genus though. I'll go take a peek and update this post in a few mins.

Edit: Okay the head at Genus is still free and available. When you rez in, look up and to the right. It's the poster with the #StayHome hashtag on it.

Edited by Ayashe Ninetails
Adding infos
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Lindal Kidd said:

I have both of those too, as well as the Genus Baby Face, which was given free to owners of the Classic. And yes, one of the things I look for during weekend sales are cheap makeup sets for my Kaya, which I use not as my main head, but as an "extra" in photos. It certainly is possible to put together a high-end look quite cheaply . . . if one has the time and patience to look and/or wait for sales and special giveaways.

I think that the LeLutka EvoX heads are quantifiably superior to anything else available now, for all sorts of reasons (although, again, I wish they weren't using a proprietary texture map, which means essentially owning TWO sets of everything if you're using more than one make of head). But in my case, I'm very happy with my current "look" using the Genus Classic, and really don't want to change over. Like most Genus users, I'm waiting for Genus to finally produce the needed update that fixes some of the known and well-documented problems with the head and HUDs. It'll happen . . . eventually. In the meantime, I can manage.

Not really a peeve but a concern...

I'm wondering what our Russian residents will do now that Paypal has suspended service as well as Visa and Mastercard.  I'm not disagreeing with the move nor want to start a political argument but, through no fault of their own, those residents may lose land and such in SL also. 

• Like 3

This is tough, Rowan. To the extent that SL provides a window into the truth of Russia's invasion of Ukraine, I want Russian residents to have access to it. But, as with our discussions of other political topics here, it's possible SL is preaching to the choir. Sad as it would be to lose those allied voices, if sanctions encourage them to voice their objections in RL rather than hide here, that's a good thing.

Losing access to SL hardly compares to losing access to RL, which is happening to countless Ukrainians at the moment.

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, Madelaine McMasters said:

This is tough, Rowan. To the extent that SL provides a window into the truth of Russia's invasion of Ukraine, I want Russian residents to have access to it. But, as with our discussions of other political topics here, it's possible SL is preaching to the choir. Sad as it would be to lose those allied voices, if sanctions encourage them to voice their objections in RL rather than hide here, that's a good thing.

Losing access to SL hardly compares to losing access to RL, which is happening to countless Ukrainians at the moment.

I completely agree that it's not a comparison although voicing their concerns with their government may get them 15 years in jail. 

It just makes me angry. 

• Like 5

8 minutes ago, Rowan Amore said:

I completely agree that it's not a comparison although voicing their concerns with their government may get them 15 years in jail. 

It just makes me angry. 

There's a tipping point beyond which imprisoning citizens simply isn't possible. Economic sanctions are intended to push the population to that tipping point.

• Like 2