2 minutes ago, Marigold Devin said:

Double pet peeve:

When I get a text message telling me I missed an appointment that I neither booked nor agreed to, and then get a snotty-toned lecture about why these appointments are so important to keep and how much money is wasted every year through missed appointments.

I didn't book a bl**dy appointment!

Did they censor bloody or did you?  😄

• Haha 2

14 minutes ago, Marigold Devin said:

Triple pet peeve:

When I tread in cat poo while toiling in my brother's garden.

(We don't have a cat!)

This is a major peeve of mine.  We have always had cats.  Indoor cats and our town has a leash law that says ALL pets must be leashed outside.  You're technically not allowed to let your cat wander alone.  It's common in densely populated communities.  People are constantly complaining about people not picking up dog doo but when I mention the cat poo left in my garden, I get all kinds of backlash.  

Edited by Rowan Amore
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, Rowan Amore said:

This is a major peeve of mine.  We have always had cats.  Indoor cats and our town has a leash law that says ALL pets must be leashed outside.  You're technically not allowed to let your cat wander alone.  It's common in densely populated communities.  People are constantly complaining about people not picking up dog doors but when I mention the cat poo left in my garden, I get all kinds of backlash.  

I absolutely adore cats, but when they don't bury their poo (and sometimes when they do) it's something of a hazard and really if I wanted to be cleaning up cat poo, I'd get a cat or two.

12 minutes ago, Rowan Amore said:

This is a major peeve of mine.  We have always had cats.  Indoor cats and our town has a leash law that says ALL pets must be leashed outside.  You're technically not allowed to let your cat wander alone.  It's common in densely populated communities.  People are constantly complaining about people not picking up dog doo but when I mention the cat poo left in my garden, I get all kinds of backlash.  

Cats are still allowed to roam freely where I live - and thus poop wherever they please.  It is a common complaint in these parts.  Though, given that we have foxes, coyotes, owls, hawks, & eagles all around here, I'm amazed that anyone lets their cat outside.  

Just now, LittleMe Jewell said:

Cats are still allowed to roam freely where I live - and thus poop wherever they please.  It is a common complaint in these parts.  Though, given that we have foxes, coyotes, owls, hawks, & eagles all around here, I'm amazed that anyone lets their cat outside.  

People.don't want to deal with litter boxes?  People are also under the impression that cats NEED to go outside.  They do not.  

The consensus among veterinarians and organizations such as the American Veterinary Medical Association (AVMA) is to keep cats confined, whether indoors or outdoors. Outdoor enclosures or leash walking for cats that are comfortable with it can keep them stimulated and safe while protecting humans, wildlife, and the environment.

17 minutes ago, Rowan Amore said:

They just hate closed doors is all.

Guess they didn't get the memo from the veterinarians and their associations about how much they love being confined because the cats I had in past, enjoyed being on the other side of those closed doors, even if it meant scratching them up if they couldn't open them.

15 minutes ago, Arielle Popstar said:

Guess they didn't get the memo from the veterinarians and their associations about how much they love being confined because the cats I had in past, enjoyed being on the other side of those closed doors, even if it meant scratching them up if they couldn't open them.

NJs4sdh.gif

• Like 4
  • Sad 1

25 minutes ago, Arielle Popstar said:

The don't like closed doors.  Ones that go.outside are usually the only ones closed regularly in my house.  They will stick a paw under the bathroom door while I'm in there.  

My cats have never been outdoors.  They will peek their noses close when I open the door but run off.  They will, however, push any inside door open if it's not closed completely.  If a cat HAS been allowed outside unattended in the past, they will often want to go back out.  If they've never been out, that's generally not the case.

I took one cat out once on a harness and leash.  He flattened himself to the ground and refused to move.  He was fine with the halter/leash indoors but I guess the outdoors was too BIG?  

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Rowan Amore said:

I took one cat out once on a harness and leash.  He flattened himself to the ground and refused to move.  He was fine with the halter/leash indoors but I guess the outdoors was too BIG?  

And to me that sounds like agoraphobia. I stopped keeping pets once the laws became very restrictive about allowing them any freedom. To me it is unnatural to train an animal to fear their natural habitat. It is a pet peeve because I did enjoy having pets, both cats and dogs.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

One of my kitties slipped out the back door when my husband went out and didn't get the door pushed to.  Not sure what he did out there, but I don't think he wandered far.  A few hours later we heard him squalling and after wandering all over the house trying to find him, we found him plastered to one of the back window screens, looking scared as hell, sort of like this (let me in!!!):

image.thumb.png.cb8b315047479221c94f57948eb6380c.png

The other kitty got out through a window while we were fixing screens one day.  She immediately was afraid of every noise out there and ran to hide under out wood stack.  She was so scared of outdoors, we had to bribe her with tuna to get her to even come out from under the wood so that we could get her back inside.

Edited by LittleMe Jewell
  • Like 3

Many, many years ago, I did have some indoor/outdoor cats.  Hell, they were even declawed, as that was back in the day where everyone declawed house cats.  One of them could still scamper up trees and bring down birds.  We didn't have as many predators around us back then though.  As much as I hate litter boxes, I still wouldn't allow a cat outdoors around here.

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, Rowan Amore said:

My cats have never been outdoors.  They will peek their noses close when I open the door but run off.  They will, however, push any inside door open if it's not closed completely.  If a cat HAS been allowed outside unattended in the past, they will often want to go back out.  If they've never been out, that's generally not the case.

I've always had cats that came and went as they pleased, often dozens and dozens of time a day much to my chagrin, introducing them to the outdoors was always a huge worry, but they never ran away.

Our rescue floof came from the outside and was skin and bones starving. I opened "her" window to pass some tools out and she exploded, she is terrified of ever going outside ever again.

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, Arielle Popstar said:

And to me that sounds like agoraphobia. I stopped keeping pets once the laws became very restrictive about allowing them any freedom. To me it is unnatural to train an animal to fear their natural habitat. It is a pet peeve because I did enjoy having pets, both cats and dogs.

No one trained them to fear anything.  Sorry, your response is rather comical to me.  

• Like 3

My mom would put her cat out in a wire pen so that she could enjoy the outdoors a bit.  It was a large pen that didn't have a bottom -- so the kitty could roll in the grass.  She had a towel covering one end, so the kitty could have shade, and put a huge rock on top of that end to keep the thing weighted down.  Her cat loved laying outside in that pen - sometime dozing in the sun, sometimes watching the birds and squirrels.  I've considered getting one to see if my cats would like a bit of outdoor time.  

ETA:  And my peeve today is that I have a sinus headache that just will not go away.

Edited by LittleMe Jewell
  • Sad 1

Another: Your housekeeper bring a new person to help out and that person probably never been around a computer. She was cleaning our home radio studio and somehow got to the reformat screen on the thing.  I happened to walk in there and saw that. Lucky I was able to exit that menu and save the day.

• Sad 2

Indoor cats seem a rare thing where I live. Just pedigree cats are kept indoors (because they get stolen and sold on or made into fur things :/ ). There are three cats that mainly take it in turns to visit my brother's garden, and recently we've had a few different ones popping in. One just sits and watches the birds all day, never gives chase, is lazy and fat and fluffy, and totally aloof, does not answer to anything (but is someone's very loved pet, he is so obviously well-fed). Bramble is a tabby who thinks our garden is her own personal pantry. I put cat food at the side of the house for the hedgehogs, but of course she thinks it's for her, and will still go after the mice - and sometimes catch them - usually leaving the tail end on the driveway or taking one or two "gifts" back to her owners (which they totally blame me for!). The ginger cat - Bruno - is 19 years old, can't catch anything any more, but he still likes to wander. And all of them are let out at nights. 

• Like 2

My only peeve today is the fact that I ran out of ice for my Bailey's.

Also, my cats are not street/woods savvy.  Two of the 5 cats are special needs.  All of them would waltz up to a coyote or a car and try to make friends.  The outside is fun to look at, but they could not be outside safely.

I should build a catio...

• Like 2

46 minutes ago, Cinnamon Mistwood said:

My only peeve today is the fact that I ran out of ice for my Bailey's.

Also, my cats are not street/woods savvy.  Two of the 5 cats are special needs.  All of them would waltz up to a coyote or a car and try to make friends.  The outside is fun to look at, but they could not be outside safely.

I should build a catio...

I've run out of Baileys for my ice o.O 

I really fancy advocaat

• Haha 2

39 minutes ago, Arielle Popstar said:

Maybe "institutionalizing" them would be a better descriptor?

They're pets not children ffs.  But then, I didn't let my son wander the neighborhood unattended either.  Was that cruel as well?  In a densely populated community, it's being a good neighbor to not inflict YOUR pet on others.  We have skunks, raccoons, opossums and coyotes.  No one has contol over those.  Would it be more humane to allow your pet cat to tussle with them?  

I wonder about you sometimes.

• Like 5