24 minutes ago, Krystina Ferraris said:

Hope that wasn’t me, I thought elders spanking elders was quite funny… didn’t mean it in a bad way!

Don't mind her childish grumpyness .. she's probably older than us and just beggin' for a spankin' ... ;)

Edited by TDD123
  • Haha 1

On 10/12/2021 at 5:34 PM, Coffee Pancake said:

Everything smells weird.

Coffee helps. The powdered stuff. Spread generously on a big plate and place said plate (or plates) around the wet floor parts, replace daily.

Even if you might hate the smell of coffee, it's way, way better than the stench of dirty water.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Krystina Ferraris said:

Hope that wasn’t me, I thought elders spanking elders was quite funny… didn’t mean it in a bad way!

Nope. Wasn't you. 

I meant that part to be amusing but what I was originally referring to wasn't even in this thread. People just assumed it was. 🤭

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Coby Foden said:

Did not work well? Or what?

It works for certain values of work.

Yes it will control smart devices, turn the lights on and off, check traffic to work, play an audio book across though multiple rooms of the house etc etc.

Will it understand you .. maybe. Will it try to randomly play you music tracks rather than turn the AC on, sure!

It attempts to learn your voice over time and progressively gets worse. It's natural language capabilities are none existent. The voice recognition favors impatient or exasperated tones, implying the speech recognition model has been polluted by people getting annoyed at it.

The AI isn't, it's a couple of hundred nested if statements reacting to key words at best.

It's just useful enough to save it from being disassembled for parts. But only just.

• Like 3

Update on a previous peeve.

The rooster that never shut up has been gone for about 2 months now. Park rules say no roosters as well as it being against the law within city limits.

The dog that never shut up has now been gone for one week. Park requires approval on all breeds over 25 pounds, including mixed. They didn't get approval for the dog. They had several visits from the police about the dog. Animal control was notified of the conditions the dog was living in. Backyard is full of chunks of tree trunk from the tree they cut down, so termites. The dog was skin and bones and kept getting out of the yard. It would bark and whine non stop when chained so they put it in a small cage under the back porch and left it in that cage for days without letting it out. The dog whined and barked the whole time and they rarely bothered to do anything about it until I was screaming at them to shut the dog up. It was in the cage for at least 3 days straight without being let out that I know of, then the dog and cage were gone.

Peace has returned to the neighborhood (not quiet, neighborhoods are never truly quiet) but the animals are the ones that pay the highest cost.

Today's Peeve: If you don't have the time to train and care for an animal, don't keep one.

Edited by Silent Mistwalker
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, Silent Mistwalker said:

Update on a previous peeve.

The rooster that never shut up has been gone for about 2 months now. Park rules say no roosters as well as it being against the law within city limits.

The dog that never shut up has now been gone for one week. Park requires approval on all breeds over 25 pounds, including mixed. They didn't get approval for the dog. They had several visits from the police about the dog. Animal control was notified of the conditions the dog was living in. Backyard is full of chunks of tree trunk from the tree they cut down, so termites. The dog was skin and bones and kept getting out of the yard. It would bark and whine non stop when chained so they put it in a small cage under the back porch and left it in that cage for days without letting it out. The dog whined and barked the whole time and they rarely bothered to do anything about it until I was screaming at them to shut the dog up. It was in the cage for at least 3 days straight without being let out that I know of, then the dog and cage were gone.

Peace has returned to the neighborhood (not quiet, neighborhoods are never truly quiet) but the animals are the ones that pay the highest cost.

Today's Peeve: If you don't have the time to train and care for an animal, don't keep one.

Humans truly don’t deserve to be part of the animal kingdom 😢

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Krystina Ferraris said:

Humans truly don’t deserve to be part of the animal kingdom 😢

My yard, when I've had one, no matter how big or small, has always been a safe haven for critters both wild and domestic. Somehow, they know this. This fall, we have 2 rabbits that come visiting for dinner (they mow my grass) every evening and a 3rd one I've seen only once, along with the usual locals.

• Like 3

17 minutes ago, Silent Mistwalker said:

My yard, when I've had one, no matter how big or small, has always been a safe haven for critters both wild and domestic. Somehow, they know this. This fall, we have 2 rabbits that come visiting for dinner (they mow my grass) every evening and a 3rd one I've seen only once, along with the usual locals.

They do know, they sense there’s safety in your place.  I remember when you talked about those chickens and roosters a while back. I didn’t know about the dog, that’s disgraceful but some people are like that… as you said, animals always pay the ultimate price.
I love rabbits and there are many wild ones in my fields (hares too). I do however also have a few families of foxes.. that keeps nature well balanced 🦊

• Like 2

People who make extremely rude comments under the guise of being 'helpful'.  Rude is rude,  especially from certain people who seem to just pop in now and then to give their version of help.  Which generally, isn't all that helpful nor accurate.

• Like 4

56 minutes ago, Rowan Amore said:

People who make extremely rude comments under the guise of being 'helpful'.

And then they claim they're "just being honest".

"You're developing a beer gut. Hey, I'm just being honest!"

"Your new dye job looks stupid. Hey, I'm just being honest!"

"Your dress and socks don't match. Hey, I'm just being honest!"

Edited by PermaRuthed
  • Like 4
  • Sad 1

Today's pet peeve .. Recipes that call for half a cup of diced onion. What the Hell kind of measurement for a solid ingredient is that?!

In the ancient past when I was studying to become a baker, one of the first things we were taught was that proper recipes always denote measurements by weight, regardless of what the ingredient is; that way, it's always consistent (and then we were promptly taught that flour to liquid ratios aren't consistent because flour as a product is inconsistent depending on a variety of factors ranging from when it was sown to what the weather was like to where it was grown and what the soil composition was like to when it was harvested and how it was milled and how it has been stored - which is why you don't dunk all the flour in at once, but hold some back and then see how the dough mixes, and if you've put all of it in and the dough is too wet, add a little bit more).

An onion isn't a consistent unit of measurement, there are onions that are ~100 grams and there are onions that are ~450 grams (and that's just the averages, the world record for an onion is 8,500 grams - not that you're likely to run into that in the average grocery store, but that's equal to 85 average small onions!).

A cup, whilst consistent, is a measure of volume, and when you dice onion the amount of onion you fit in that space is a matter of how finely you chop it and whether you compress it - or how much of that volume is just air. Which means that, in practice, it's an inconsistent measurement. 

Okay, so, what does it matter, 50 grams of onion too much or too little? Not a whole Hell of a lot, usually, but it is considered as one of the fundamental doctrines of modern cookery that in order to ensure the quality of your food, you must control the consistency of what you are making. 

Then there's of course the whole thing with onions being about as consistent in their flavour as flour is in its ability to bind water, which is why we taste things as we cook, and why we want to look and feel the produce when buying it to make sure that it's up to snuff.

Still, a cup of onion makes about as much sense as three billionths of a light-second of nutmeg

.. .. Which would be roughly a decimetre of nutmeg, and does that make any damned sense, huh?! A decimetre of whole nuts or a metre of single file nutmeg grinds - and if so, how finely did you grind it?

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

9 minutes ago, Orwar said:

What the Hell kind of measurement for a solid ingredient is that?!

My grandmother's basic pie crust recipe begins with the advice to "start with a piece of butter about twice the size of a walnut, add sifted flour, a pinch of salt, and a tablespoon or so of water, being sure not to get it too sticky."  Somehow, her pie crusts always turned out just right.  I guess it helps if the cook knows what she's doing and can adjust.  

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Rolig Loon said:

I guess it helps if the cook knows what she's doing and can adjust.

I hardly ever actually measure anything whilst cooking, I'm just mad about the concept!

• Like 1