What would you do differently if LL starts collecting our data to sell or give it to 3rd parties?

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 713 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I'm curious as to what exactly the information they would be able to share with 3rd parties. For me they only have my email (which was created purely for Secondlife) and my billing zip code. So what if any personal information can they share? SL doesn't even have my phone number nor my address.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Finite said:

I'm curious as to what exactly the information they would be able to share with 3rd parties. For me they only have my email (which was created purely for Secondlife) and my billing zip code. So what if any personal information can they share? SL doesn't even have my phone number nor my address.

So you are a Basic member with no payment info on file?  And no alts sharing the same IP that might have PIOF?  You never buy anything in SL then too?

• Like 3

16 minutes ago, Jaylinbridges said:

So you are a Basic member with no payment info on file?  And no alts sharing the same IP that might have PIOF?  You never buy anything in SL then too?

No, I am a premium plus with payment information on file. Payments are processed through Tilia while owned by the same people is governed under a separate TOS as it is a money transmitter.

Look at your account info in Secondlife. It has your email address and the last 4 of whatever credit card you use. Not much more.

Edited by Finite

11 minutes ago, Finite said:

No, I am a premium plus with payment information on file. Payments are processed through Tilia while owned by the same people is governed under a separate TOS as it is a money transmitter.

I don't see how SL can not have your full name, address, email address, and telephone number, and any device ID you use when logged into SL.  This is from the LL new privacy rules, not Tilia:

1. TYPES OF INFORMATION WE COLLECT AND HOW WE COLLECT IT

We collect two types of information – “personal information” and “anonymous information” – which we may use to create a third type of information, “aggregate information”.  

• Personal Information”, also often referred to as “Personal Data”, means information that identifies (whether directly or indirectly) a particular individual, household, or device, such as the individual’s first and last name, postal address, e-mail address, telephone number, username, and/or image.  

Edited by Jaylinbridges
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, Jaylinbridges said:

I don't see how SL cannot have your full name, address, email address, and telephone number, and any device ID you use when logged into SL.  This is from the LL new privacy rules, not Tilia:

1. TYPES OF INFORMATION WE COLLECT AND HOW WE COLLECT IT

We collect two types of information – “personal information” and “anonymous information” – which we may use to create a third type of information, “aggregate information”.  

• Personal Information”, also often referred to as “Personal Data”, means information that identifies (whether directly or indirectly) a particular individual, household, or device, such as the individual’s first and last name, postal address, e-mail address, telephone number, username, and/or image.  

Like I said, look at your account info.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Lyssa Greymoon said:

I’d be quite pleased to get more ads from bone saw vendors.

If I started getting ads for hand grenades and antique cars and graveyard construction materials and awesome shoes, I'd be totally okay with it.

EDIT: Now I just wanna buy really weird stuff, to see what happens. It was inevitable, the MP has me now.

EDIT AGAIN: Sigh...

2022-09-25_23-23.png.fdc678d3daa37c264bedcaf77ff7ceb2.png

Edited by PheebyKatz
  • Like 3

Nothing, I will traumatize whoever or whatever is reviewing my data, be it human or AI, just like I do with the government agent assigned to watching me (yes I know you are still there lmao, enjoying the mental pain?). They will have to see all my weird and explicit avatars in SL that most normal people would probably go wtf at. 

Edited by Chaser Zaks
  • Confused 1

If it gets where I don't trust things, I'll leave, that's all..

That's just how I deal with businesses I can't trust.. Things happen and so does change.. Won't be the first time ,won;t be the last ..

ETA:Also, wouldn't they have to give us a new contract to be clicking yes or not to, if they go changing things around?

Edited by Ceka Cianci
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, Finite said:

Like I said, look at your account info.

you get your full info they stored about you only when you place a GDPR request.
They dó have all your info you gave. It just isn't public out of protection, not even to yourself, and of course not available for anyone at LL ( i hope) but some do. As example, they can ask quite personal questions when you have a support problem.

Edited by Alwin Alcott
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Alwin Alcott said:

you get your full info they stored about you only when you place a GDPR request.
They dó have all your info you gave. It just isn't public out of protection, not even to yourself, and of course not available for anyone at LL ( i hope) but some do. As example, they can ask quite personal questions when you have a support problem.

What info did you give? It only asks for email address and date of birth upon creating an account. They only ask for personal information when you try to purchase lindens which takes you to another website and is handled by Tilia. Not LL. Tilia has all our personal information (and its own TOS). LL as it pertains to this updated TOS has your date of birth (assuming you gave them an accurate one) and email address... and likely your IP address(es).. And I believe ( i could be wrong) even the age verification process is handled by a 3rd party.

Edited by Finite
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, Finite said:

What info did you give? It only asks for email address and date of birth upon creating an account. They only ask for personal information when you try to purchase lindens which takes you to another website and is handled by Tilia. Not LL. Tilia has all our personal information (and its own TOS). LL as it pertains to this updated TOS has your date of birth (assuming you gave them an accurate one) and email address... and likely your IP address(es).. And I believe ( i could be wrong) even the age verification process is handled by a 3rd party.

there is no age verification, the given birthdate and payment information is used for confirmation of that. If no payment info is provided, as we see often in the answers section, the GMA restiction will not be lifted without sending other proof.  So there is already more info. Also ID's have to be provided at several support processes.

• Like 1

As a reminder, I made a GDPR request a couple years back and posted the content on the forum:

https://community.secondlife.com/forums/topic/442840-gdpr-requests/?do=findComment&comment=1994680

Anybody could make a similar request, maybe even on an alt without payment info.

Edited by Wulfie Reanimator
  • Thanks 1

I tired for years to set my mom up on the net for emails, games, she loved to play match games. She refused saying "I don't want my personal information out there" . I laughed and told her you have a social security number, everyone knows where you are, you bank online for pete sake.  She never got that part.

On 9/25/2022 at 5:59 PM, Persephone Emerald said:

What would you do if LL starts using data on what we buy on Marketplace or through inworld vendors?

A week before updating their privacy policy, they buy out the most popular in world vendor service on the grid.

Make of that what you will.

Edited by Paul Hexem
  • Like 3

35 minutes ago, Paul Hexem said:

A week before updating their privacy policy, they buy out the most popular in world vendor service on the grid.

Make of that what you will.

Honestly, I don't anticipate nefarious behavior from LL (or their daughter company Tilia) in the near future. They may be keeping their options open to change their "We won't sell your data" policy, but I wouldn't expect any changes in the next year.  The apparently small (?), barely  noticable changes to their Privacy Policy may be to accommodate their acquisition of Caspertech SL, but this doesn't mean they're planning to sell our data.

24 minutes ago, Silent Mistwalker said:

Not if you don't shop online. 

And pay with cash only. 

I’m not concerned about the data collection. Every single website I visit has been warning about their cookie data collection. I accept cookies all the time and so far the ads I see are completely irrelevant to me so big data is clearly not working. 

40 minutes ago, Silent Mistwalker said:

Not if you don't shop do anything online related to said subjects

If you use Google to research the best brand of dog food then go to another website about dog food, Google knows. Use a website like Expedia to research travel and then go independently to that hotel site to book? Expedia knows (and charges the hotel still, and rates from those travel aggregator sites is is outrageous, sometimes 30% or more of that room rate, at least Google only charges about 5% of the posted rate for the referral). And every thing you do is then cross referenced and combined and analyzed to find patterns. The segmentation they'll put you in will be very precise ... age, every socio-economic demographic you can imagine or they can infer, and obviously dog owner. They may get some of the specifics wrong, but it's enough to segment you precisely enough that the people who buy those segment buckets find it good enough. This issue is that you don't specifically know what they know about you. That's what makes you valuable and wanted as a user.

I'll assume LL would be no exception to this basic rules of understanding their users, just not quite the immense scope and scale and end goal of others (i.e., selling you).

That's why Zero Party Data (ZPD) is becoming so popular with brands. That's data you willingly give them to segment and then anonymise you, and in exchange they give you more personalized experiences tailored to exactly to your needs/wants. The main benefit for you with ZPD models is that know what you've given up ... it's not a scoop everything with cookies and trackers and every other insidious hidden method of knowing everything you do online and making broad assumptions that do narrow down as you spend more time surfing (like you actually own a dog ... cause maybe you're just hitting those dog websites cause you're dog sitting for a few days?)

• Like 1

What would I do differently if LL starts collecting our data to sell or give it to 3rd parties?

Not a blessed thing. If someone out there wants to sell me more pixel shoes...hey, I'm willing to consider it.

My point here is that SL shopping habits, and SL products in general, have zero bearing on the real world. This is why companies like Nike and L'Oreal failed at selling their brands in SL.

• Like 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 713 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.