SL hours per day?

Neverthe

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 613 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I wonder what is the average number of hours people use SL for each day. 

For me, when I am really into building and sorting out projects in here, the most was 8 hours straight, the average is for three or so hours so far.   I have heard of so many people sitting up till 4am and so on.  Is this common practice?   A good few people work in SL too, so I imagine this adds the hours up.

What drives you in here the most, has it ever been too much, or not enough?

Love to hear what drives people the most in SL.

• Like 4

The last couple of weeks I'm inworld on an average of maybe 10 minutes a day.
Because I have a total lack of inspiration to create something at the moment.

I spend a lot of time here and on Virtualverse every day, that is more or less SL related.
When I combine inworld and onforums, then I spend several hours a day on SL.

When inspiration returns, I will spend several hours a day inworld again, no doubt about that.
Socializing in SL is not really my thing.

Edited by Sid Nagy
  • Like 7

Myself, after a year and a half? Probably 2 hours a day when I can engage enough. It's not as much fun right now, juggling between my RL day gig and having to look after three elderly folks.

That said, I currently spend more time in the Open Sim hypergrids. I may end up creating my first virtual home over there. 

• Like 5

54 minutes ago, Neverthe said:

I have heard of so many people sitting up till 4am and so on.  Is this common practice?   

There was one time I was with American and Brazilian friends and thought it was around 2am, then realised the birds were singing and it was bright outside and that I had stayed up until 8am :S I think that time was around 14 hours online, including Skyping with them the evening before :/ 

Building makes time whizz by...I would sometimes realise it was midnight and it felt like I'd only just started, an hour ago...at 7pm! Also, most club hosting jobs I had started at 2pm SLT, which is 10pm UK time, so sets would end at midnight, and then someone would want to TP you somewhere...I often thought "OK, I will stay on for another half hour..." and then it was suddenly 2.30am 🥺 Looking back, it's a bit nuts...but it didn't seem so uncommon at the time?

• Like 7

I used to be online almost every evening from the time I got off work until I went to bed and almost all day & evening on the weekends. 

These days, I don't even log in every day and many times when I do, I'll only be online for 30 minutes or less.

As for the forums, that is a different story -- I'm always logged in, though cannot always pay much attention during the work day.

• Like 6

Lately I'm inworld for only a few hours/ day, because I don't want to heat up my laptop too much. 

There have been times when I was inworld for over 12 hours in a day. I try to log off by around midnight, when the MM boards I've slapped give out their prizes.

What drives or obsesses me in SL changes. I used to get really into collecting Twisted Hunt, shopping event or Xmas gifts. I can be super focused on decorating my homes or landscaping my land. I can get into making themed notecards of LMs. Lately I've been watching the new Bellisseria regions being built, though now that we have the water passage to Satori, this is less interesting to me.

Edited by Persephone Emerald
  • Like 4

8 hours ago, Coffee Pancake said:

If you look at the avatar birthday email LL send out, it's plan the vast majority of users have very short session lengths and don't go many places .. then there's those of us online all day everyday, even if we're not active in SL for all of it.

my alt got this one today ( i'm rarely inworld) ( i don't see the amount of hours logged in)
However it's lots more than the average resident, i'm no traveler at all.

41d5841b202a2f2151be61542bdebb52.png

Edited by Alwin Alcott
  • Like 3

My inworld hours vary between 12 and 0. Since I mostly work from home during week days and I have laptop(for work) and PC I tend to stay online during the day and chat with friends as means for distraction and wind off whenever my daily work activities become stressful. For me it's surprisingly good way to relax and take those "coffee breaks" like I would do whenever I'm in the office.

• Like 6

9 hours ago, Alwin Alcott said:

my alt got this one today ( i'm rarely inworld) ( i don't see the amount of hours logged in)
However it's lots more than the average resident, i'm no traveler at all.

41d5841b202a2f2151be61542bdebb52.png

I'm currently driving support bananas cos of this email.

Clarity for Alwin.  An alt got the same email that I didn't recognise the name of, so I've driving support nuts trying to recover long forgotten accounts.

Edited by bob Iwashi
  • Like 3
  • Confused 1

I log in daily sometimes I have some customer or blog related IMs that I answer ... And then lately I just basically wander off instantly...rare sometimes I feel inspired enough to blog or decorate our parcels a little but lately I am just not that interested in SL... luckily I gave up having in world friends a long while ago XD all the friends I have on my list are RL people and RL family so they know that I am not there lol and the rest? Honestly I don't really care anymore as harsh as it sounds, I was really invested back in like 2007 12 active hours on weekends but we were all a bunch of RL friends studying in RL together and having fun in SL we all grew up and just use SL occasionally any more. And I love it like that I love being a loner and doing my stuff at my own pace and not feeling guilty anymore for not answering IMs, deleting my whole friend list was the best move ever and only keeping RL people XD so long blahblah for short answer ...it boils down to like 10 to 20 active minutes on active days the rest I am completely AFK or not online at all x3 I should stop the AFKing before my cat starts dating people online with my avatar lmao

• Like 3

23 hours ago, Sid Nagy said:

The last couple of weeks I'm inworld on an average of maybe 10 minutes a day.
Because I have a total lack of inspiration to create something at the moment.

I spend a lot of time here and on Virtualverse every day, that is more or less SL related.
When I combine inworld and onforums, then I spend several hours a day on SL.

When inspiration returns, I will spend several hours a day inworld again, no doubt about that.
Socializing in SL is not really my thing.

I think im the same, seeking that "aah!" moment, that idea that I want to try out.   

• Like 3

I spend my evenings from 6-7pm logged in, might only get 3 hours active time inworld where I don't have to do RL stuff or I don't doze off and suddenly it's past 2am. I seem to manage to always find something to keep me amused whether that's exploring, pottering around my Linden home tweaking décor, shopping or doing things in a sandbox 

• Like 5

14 hours ago, Claireschen Hesten said:

I spend my evenings from 6-7pm logged in, might only get 3 hours active time inworld where I don't have to do RL stuff or I don't doze off and suddenly it's past 2am. I seem to manage to always find something to keep me amused whether that's exploring, pottering around my Linden home tweaking décor, shopping or doing things in a sandbox 

This is a key thing, the idea of pottering around, tweaking things and making little improvements is rather like looking after a bonsai tree in once sense.  Thank you for your comments on this post Chaireschen. 

• Like 3

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 613 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.