Let's not have a month-long Halloween

Bree Giffen

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 664 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

This may be too early to talk about this but I'd like to nip it in the bud. I don't think Halloween sales or activities should start at the beginning of October. Last year, by the time Halloween rolled around on the 31st I was burnt out and absolutely didn't care. Maybe a single week would suffice.

Thank you,

Halloween Intelligentsia 💀🦇👾

• Like 1
  • Haha 4
  • Confused 2
  • Sad 1

4 minutes ago, Bree Giffen said:

This may be too early to talk about this but I'd like to nip it in the bud. I don't think Halloween sales or activities should start at the beginning of October. Last year, by the time Halloween rolled around on the 31st I was burnt out and absolutely didn't care. Maybe a single week would suffice.

Thank you,

I think Halloween should all be year long 😍🦇🧛‍♀️ 

• Like 10
  • Thanks 12
  • Haha 2
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, Bree Giffen said:

Thank you,

I'm voting with you on this one, Bree.

I have a friend in RL who lives Halloween so much, her Christmas decorations are festooned with cobwebs and her tree decorated with plastic spiders.

Lovely woman, but . . . no. Just, no.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2
  • Sad 3

I hope LL are stricter on the more gruesome aspects of Halloween this year.  I've been to clubs with long lists of rules like 'no nudity, no bad language, no this, that or the other' only to be faced with rotting corpses hanging from the ceiling. Not nice at all.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
  • Confused 1

7 minutes ago, Conifer Dada said:

I hope LL are stricter on the more gruesome aspects of Halloween this year.  I've been to clubs with long lists of rules like 'no nudity, no bad language, no this, that or the other' only to be faced with rotting corpses hanging from the ceiling. Not nice at all.

That's not really LL's concern though, as all people are entitled to decorate their own land however they wish - I find it unlikely that they'll bother with temporary decor on the basis of it 'depicting death' in a non-adult venue. Heck, there's no shortage of M-rated places that are full of prim corpses all days of the year. 

• Like 10
  • Thanks 2

18 minutes ago, Conifer Dada said:

Halloween being ostensibly a children's holiday and culturally far bigger in the US than the UK, I very much doubt LL will be taking anyone's decorations down. Severed "zombie" limbs with blood and bones to stake out on your lawn is a grocery store basic.

• Like 10

Hallowe'en is traditionally a non-event here in England, because our population is overwhelmingly atheist or agnostic.

But how Hallowe'en is "celebrated" elsewhere in the world is weird. Imagine if you celebrated Christmas Eve, but then completely forgot or ignored the significance of the day after Christmas Eve, the 25th December! Let me explain....

The name Hallowe'en is an old contraction of All Hallows' Evening.

Hallow means "Holy one" (implying someone who is/was Saintly) and the e'en of Hallowe'en is from the Old English contraction of the word "evening" in its context of meaning "the day before".

Hallowe'en (All Hallows' Evening) is just the day before All Hallows' Day, which is the 1st of November.

The 1st of November is an actual Christian day of solemn celebration of all Saints of the Christian religion and is known as All Saints Day, All Hallows' Day or Hallowmas.

The whole ghosts, ghouls, witches, costumes and pumpkins thing really has nothing to do with the true Hallowe'en either. That all originates from the Christian and corporate America reinvention and rebranding of the ancient Celtic-Pagan festival of Samhain, as both a way to persuade non-Christians into their churches, and for businesses to make money out of a completely ficticious and remanufactured "holiday" event.

Edited by SarahKB7 Koskinen
  • Like 3
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

7 minutes ago, SarahKB7 Koskinen said:

Hallowe'en is traditionally a complete non-event here in England, because our population is overwhelmingly atheist or agnostic.

Just my opinion...but I find it weird when people say Halloween isn't celebrated in the UK :S (not just by you...a few people have said it on here)

Maybe it's not as big here as in America, but I can't remember a Halloween where you didn't see bars and shops putting out pumpkin heads and skulls, or people taking their kids trick or treating. I live in a mostly Jewish area, but there are always houses putting 'zombie' crime scene tape around their front doors.

• Like 9

1 minute ago, SarahKB7 Koskinen said:

Hallowe'en is traditionally a complete non-event in England, because our population is overwhelmingly agnostic or atheist.

I think capitalism has well and truly expunged any religious connections to Halloween. 

There has been a deliberate effort to export American Halloween to the UK and it's been broadly successful, it's still not the huge deal it is in the US but that's mainly a generational thing, give it another decade and even in England it will be completely indistinguishable (then you will be ready to import Jesus Ween too!)

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Rat Luv said:

Maybe it's not as big here as in America, but I can't remember a Halloween where you didn't see bars and shops putting out pumpkin heads and skulls, or people taking their kids trick or treating. I live in a mostly Jewish area, but there are always houses putting 'zombie' crime scene tape around their front doors.

There is more sulking and sneering about it from older generations looking down their noses at yet another "fun" American import. For kids, shops, schools .. it's getting close to the US norm. Retail goes just as mad as the US and pumpkins are everywhere .. and no one is eating them

• Like 3

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 664 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.