The third greatest idea I've had - The Reward Button

Bree Giffen

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 621 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

1 minute ago, Love Zhaoying said:

That's interesting, as my first thought was, "people who steal L$ will use this to distribute their funds", like when people get suspicious L$ transfers that turn out to be stolen. A new abuse mechanism / sink for stolen L$.

Seems like a cumbersome way to launder money not that we should give them ideas.

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Bree Giffen said:

It's like a tip jar but it's a part of the SL client and it's a part of SL social interaction. An easy way to impulsively send money to someone. How awesome/bad could this be?

no need to script anything. Just send your monies to me and I will re-distribute to forumites according to entertainment value, for a small handling fee. 😇

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 5

58 minutes ago, Prokofy Neva said:

What were the first two?

I love this idea and because it involves payment, presumably out of a resident's own store of Lindens, it is less likely to be gamed.

I wish in fact it was on all social media. You can add a PayPal to a blog but then it's somewhat cumbersome. The social media platform that puts a virtual currency into its offerings and enables such tipping and then the ability to cash out -- Tilia could do this -- will win. 

The first would be The Nexus and the second would be to make premium avatars have the ability to be 30% larger than everyone else. 

Yeah, this third greatest idea follows the idea of the gig economy where no one has real 9 to 5 jobs and simply earn tips from being appreciated for something. Like when people ask for patrons on Patreon or ask for donations or paid tips on Youtube. Or would you rather just pay your large subscription fee for cable tv and get served up corporate entertainment. Maybe you'd have to target the rewardee by centering them on your screen. The amount would be something small and a fixed amount that people could easily hand out without it being too much of a burden or they could set their default reward mount. Just another thought experiment. Feel free to agree or disagree.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Bree Giffen said:

The first would be The Nexus and the second would be to make premium avatars have the ability to be 30% larger than everyone else. 

Brilliant! I wish you'd post your ideas more often! It's a lot more interesting than so many of the threads lately.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

29 minutes ago, Bree Giffen said:

Yeah, this third greatest idea follows the idea of the gig economy where no one has real 9 to 5 jobs and simply earn tips from being appreciated for something. Like when people ask for patrons on Patreon or ask for donations or paid tips on Youtube. Or would you rather just pay your large subscription fee for cable tv and get served up corporate entertainment. Maybe you'd have to target the rewardee by centering them on your screen. The amount would be something small and a fixed amount that people could easily hand out without it being too much of a burden or they could set their default reward mount. Just another thought experiment. Feel free to agree or disagree.

I don't know what The Nexus is. Is that some kind of sci-fi thing? I don't have a TV. As for the avatars, can't you just big them up on the old slider thing, or buy those giant avatars they have? It seems like not a thing to waste on asking the Lindens.

Meanwhile, the tip idea is perfect, and gives Tillia something to do, and we never give them things to do.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Love Zhaoying said:

Question, @Bree Giffen- can avatars give each other reward points? I see a use-case where someone can have all their alts give each other points (over and over), thereby elevating all their reward points karmas.

The Lindens won't go for that because we had that in the old days, a reputational point system for building, beauty, etc. and it was gamed. People had point parties or negrated other people to grief them.

With cash, you remove some of that grief factor and game factor. Not all, but still.

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Prokofy Neva said:

The Lindens won't go for that because we had that in the old days, a reputational point system for building, beauty, etc. and it was gamed. People had point parties or negrated other people to grief them.

With cash, you remove some of that grief factor and game factor. Not all, but still.

I had to lookup "negrate", I learned something new early today! 
ETA: *slaps forehead* Duh, I'm sure you mean "give a negative rating", the dictionary meaning is kind of bad.  Still learned!

Edited by Love Zhaoying
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1

4 hours ago, Prokofy Neva said:

I love this idea and because it involves payment, presumably out of a resident's own store of Lindens, it is less likely to be gamed.

Each and every club owner or event organizer will be under pressure to push that button many times every evening to keep their audience happy.
It would come in their expenses lists like camping, sploders, contests do/did.

Plus, I think it is a very American way of telling that you appreciate a person.
Money shouldn't always talk.
There are much more elegant ways of showing affection or appreciation IMHO.

Edited by Sid Nagy
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

I know you're (sort of?) joking, but this in a way is my point.

I don't want people talking to me on the expectation that they will be rewarded for doing so. I would like them to talk to me because they want to talk to me.

I do understand the.point of "rewards," but these can also, unless one is careful, drain the value of "X" activity by ensuring that it's not the value of that activity itself that is the motivation for undertaking it. It becomes instead a mechanical exercise undertaken to achieve another purpose altogether.

I was kidding, but it was because of the first thing that popped into my head.. I can just see the attempt at gaming that..

Because almost every way there is to make money in SL, gets gamed to death.. Drop a dime around here, 20 people will come out the woodwork to get to it, before  you ever hear it hit the ground.

People are already trying to get our money with every game in town. The last thing I need is a bunch of bots coming up to me wearing out motivational or inspiring quotes all damn day..

no thank you.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Bree Giffen said:

An easy way to impulsively send money to someone.

Under some circumstances, like proposed above, it would be convenient to allow a worn object to be set to 'left-click pay'. Right now, that's impossible in SL. I wonder if that was a deliberate choice by the SL devs. It probably was. If it becomes easier for people to pay, it probably also becomes easier for people to be deceived into paying.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Ceka Cianci said:

People are already trying to get our money with every game in town. The last thing I need is a bunch of bots coming up to me wearing out motivational or inspiring quotes all damn day..

Click Me for Reward! But first, please watch this video / ad,

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

8 hours ago, Madelaine McMasters said:

What a load of BS!

You’ve got working me over for donations down to a “fine art”, so my acts of kindness are not the least bit random. They’re programmed by you!

To add insult to injury, I asked you to shut up about it and here you are blathering it all over the forums.

Why oh why do I put up with you?

Don’t say it, don’t you dare say it. Adorability is no damned excuse.

I canz be teh adorables too. Plus I'm subby. (Which no one here believes... :) ) 

/me sticks hand out

13 hours ago, Bree Giffen said:

What if LL added a "Reward Button" right on the main screen where you could reward someone with a few linden dollars if they said or did something you like in SL? It would work somewhat like reddit gold or... that's the only one I can think of. 

It's like a tip jar but it's a part of the SL client and it's a part of SL social interaction. An easy way to impulsively send money to someone. How awesome/bad could this be?

Sounds good to me! Maybe LL could add a feature so we all have floating tip jars above our avatar heads, and people can directly click on them to pay. And also include a crypto option 💰 LL could raise money for this by selling adverts against the tip jar. So if you tipped my floating jar 10L it would say in local "Thanks for tipping Rat Luv 10L! KITKAT Chunky Caramel is out now! 🍫 🤩 The KITKAT Chunky you know and love, but with an extra layer of indulgence!"

• Like 2
  • Haha 5

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 621 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.