The third greatest idea I've had - The Reward Button

Bree Giffen

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 621 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

11 minutes ago, Rat Luv said:

Sounds good to me! Maybe LL could add a feature so we all have floating tip jars above our avatar heads, and people can directly click on them to pay. And also include a crypto option 💰 LL could raise money for this by selling adverts against the tip jar. So if you tipped my floating jar 10L it would say in local "Thanks for tipping Rat Luv 10L! KITKAT Chunky Caramel is out now! 🍫 🤩 The KITKAT Chunky you know and love, but with an extra layer of indulgence!"

I'd reward YOU even just because you so dern cute.

Idea: What about, along with the floating tip jar, a "L$ Balance" showing how much L$ they have.  Because how dare they ask for L$ when they are already rich! * falls off soapbox awkwardly *

Edited by Love Zhaoying
  • Like 1

It takes some effort to donate anonymously in RL. I don't see why SL should be any different. I don't think an anonymous gifting system would be gamed to launder money, because LL knows the identities of both parties of any financial transaction, for logical and legal reasons.

I can see such a system being gamed for griefing, however. Having L$ fall from the skies can make people uncomfortable. Last holiday season, many of us, me included, were gifted things or L$ by an anonymous forum moose.Those gifts were accompanied by innocuous/humorous notes. Still (understandably), some people were uncomfortable. Imagine the angst one could cause by dropping L$1 on random people, with no explanation, or even a nefarious one. I can see the abuse reports piling up in LL's inbox.

If I understood @Alwin Alcott correctly, any anonymous payment button would have to be matched by a "Refuse anonymous gifts" checkbox somewhere. I agree. I'd check mine.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, Madelaine McMasters said:

It takes some effort to donate anonymously in RL. I don't see why SL should be any different. I don't think an anonymous gifting system would be gamed to launder money, because LL knows the identities of both parties of any financial transaction, for logical and legal reasons.

I can see such a system being gamed for griefing, however. Having L$ fall from the skies can make people uncomfortable. Last holiday season, many of us, me included, were gifted things or L$ by an anonymous forum moose.Those gifts were accompanied by innocuous/humorous notes. Still (understandably), some people were uncomfortable. Imagine the angst one could cause by dropping L$1 on random people, with no explanation, or even a nefarious one. I can see the abuse reports piling up in LL's inbox.

If I understood @Alwin Alcott correctly, any anonymous payment button would have to be matched by a "Refuse anonymous gifts" checkbox somewhere. I agree. I'd check mine.

I somehow missed the whole "anonymous" part of the original idea.

As usual, I am low-comprehension.  I read, I promise that I read!

This would be kind of hilarious, I can envision mobs of bots following players around and sending them compliments.  Dozens or more private messages popping up every few seconds by bots telling you how you are wonderful in some way or another.  If you make the mistake of rewarding one, then you instantly are listed as potential income for someone, and pestered repeatedly by compliments.

I would feel like the pied piper riding my bike through mainland, with a dozen bots following me, throwing kind comments, that is until some other person happened to wander past me and they defected to them.  I would of course, get my all loving bots back though!  Those compliments all belong to me!  

Edited by Istelathis
  • Like 3
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Love Zhaoying said:

You didn't miss it. Bree never mentioned anonymous gifting. I sorta inferred it because we already have a super simple way to do it explicitly.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Madelaine McMasters said:

You didn't miss it. Bree never mentioned anonymous gifting. I sorta inferred it because we already have a super simple way to do it explicitly.

I just have the urge to give you a virtual hug and another thanks for some reason. Forgive me please ... or set me on fire (tee hee). 

12 hours ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

...unmerited largesse from people who are just being generous for no reason at all can make your day.

I remember being given L$200 by someone I met entirely randomly in my first week or so here. It was totally gratuitous and it helped sell me on the platform.

The hair worn by my little devil is the first purchase I ever made in SL, in April of 2008, two days after joining. The money for the hair was gifted to me by a stranger, who took me under her wing briefly. Though that person left SL a dozen years ago, her kindness and generosity sold me on SL, too. I have been trying to pay it forward ever since.

12 hours ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

On more than a couple of occasions, I've been whining to Maddy about not being able to choose which colour dress or whatever to get, and she'll just throw me L$1000 or so with instructions to just buy the God damned fatpack already and shut up about it.

I have only three decorations in my 35 LI skybox. Two of them were gifts from Scylla, who listens well enough to know that the cheap (to her) trinkets she drops will have great value to me. She also knows that if my skybox is filled with her treasured gifts, I can't rez things that will set her on fire, drown her in quicksand, or spin her around until she vomits. She's in this for herself, people.

13 hours ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

Sometimes I'll happen across a nice garment that I think will look lovely on one of my fashion-challenged men friends,  and I'll just buy it for him. (We go dancing weekly so, yes, I have an ulterior motive.)

Rhonda used to just occasionally buy things for random people. She once bought me a lovely top I'd commented on in the picture threads.

Humans have a long history of gifting as a means of establishing and maintaining connection. Anonymity can hamper that.

13 hours ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

I far prefer random acts of kindness over programmed ones. 

Yep, it's hard to surprise with the expected.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Madelaine McMasters said:
12 minutes ago, Love Zhaoying said:

Yeah, based on my earlier reading of the thread, and participation, I think you inferred it all by your lonesome! ❤️ 

I still could have missed it, because dum lyon.

14 hours ago, Bree Giffen said:

What if LL added a "Reward Button" right on the main screen where you could reward someone with a few linden dollars if they said or did something you like in SL? It would work somewhat like reddit gold or... that's the only one I can think of. 

It's like a tip jar but it's a part of the SL client and it's a part of SL social interaction. An easy way to impulsively send money to someone. How awesome/bad could this be?

Forgive me if you can for not reading through this entire thread. I think for some people this would be a lovely idea, like for those people on other social media sites where they sign up for Patreon or Superchat or Kofi. 

I personally would opt out of it. I have never been a fan of buskers. It just feels like another form of begging to me. 

That's my tuppence-worth.

I find it a shame that more and more people seem to need constant validation these days really. Having a gift system might just feed that sense of entitlement too, so I am just not a fan. 

What has touched me personally though to the very soul has been the genuine gestures made towards me over the years which have been totally unexpected.  

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Rolig Loon said:

From a technical perspective, there are loads of ways to do it.  Most of them would take more work than simply right clicking on the person and choosing "Pay". The big disadvantage of any of the methods, including clicking and choosing "Pay", is that they aren't anonymous.  Receiving a gift from a stranger can feel kind of creepy. ( ETA: Sometimes even getting one from a friend. ) It raises potential questions like, "What does he expect in return?" or "Do I really look like a charity case?"  On the other hand, getting an anonymous gift is like finding a quarter on the sidewalk.  You don't have to feel obligated to anyone. You just smile and feel a little lucky, and part of you thinks, "Gee, I ought to come here more often."

I'm just remembering that thing Linden Lab do around Valentine's Day where you can send gifts to other people from their Isle of View - I think (think) they are received anonymously, so there is a way to do it, but I have more than a touch of brain fog today so cannot quite be sure.

3 minutes ago, Marigold Devin said:

I'm just remembering that thing Linden Lab do around Valentine's Day where you can send gifts to other people from their Isle of View - I think (think) they are received anonymously, so there is a way to do it, but I have more than a touch of brain fog today so cannot quite be sure.

I think that's fine. The context for the exchange is well defined and only those who wish to participate actually do.

• Thanks 1

47 minutes ago, Rat Luv said:

Sounds good to me! Maybe LL could add a feature so we all have floating tip jars above our avatar heads, and people can directly click on them to pay. And also include a crypto option 💰 LL could raise money for this by selling adverts against the tip jar. So if you tipped my floating jar 10L it would say in local "Thanks for tipping Rat Luv 10L! KITKAT Chunky Caramel is out now! 🍫 🤩 The KITKAT Chunky you know and love, but with an extra layer of indulgence!"

Just wanted to let you know that's the funniest thing I've read all day (if not all week).

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Love Zhaoying said:

I still could have missed it, because dum lyon.

You did miss it.  I brought it up way back on the first page.  In order for a system like this to work, it would at least have to be anonymous. That would relieve much of the suspicion and feelings of guilt/obligation that come from getting a gift out of the blue. I still don't like the idea of a formal "click this button and give an unexpected gift" idea, for many of the reasons that others have explained.  Still, anonymity would be a necessary first step if you wanted an idea like this to work at all. 

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Madelaine McMasters said:
6 minutes ago, Marigold Devin said:

I think that's fine. The context for the exchange is well defined and only those who wish to participate actually do.

And, if memory serves me right, every year there are people who post here in the forums because they received a Valentine gift from someone named "Cupid Linden" -- obviously a griefer who is trying to phish them into some sort of creepy act.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

3 minutes ago, Rolig Loon said:

You did miss it.  I brought it up way back on the first page.  In order for a system like this to work, it would at least have to be anonymous. That would relieve much of the suspicion and feelings of guilt/obligation that come from getting a gift out of the blue. I still don't like the idea of a formal "click this button and give an unexpected gift" idea, for many of the reasons that others have explained.  Still, anonymity would be a necessary first step if you wanted an idea like this to work at all. 

Thanks. It would be interesting to see if the OP and most others agree that anonymity is the way to go.

Personally, I don't have an opinion yet since I didn't think about it.

1 minute ago, Rolig Loon said:

And, if memory serves me right, every year there are people who post here in the forums because they received a Valentine gift from someone named "Cupid Linden" -- obviously a griefer who is trying to phish them into some sort of creepy act.

I bet there's a "Creepy Linden"! (More than one, actually.)

5 minutes ago, Nalates Urriah said:

Tell me more about these creepy acts...  I mean this is SL, what qualifies for a creepy act?

Stalking you all and trying to innocently run across you somewhere on the grid?

Seeing @Love Zhaoying once on the grid and surreptitiously snapping like 8 pics of them?

Slippping into a newbie avatar and "coincidentally" running into @Madelaine McMasters on a sim and being cute and begging for money as I hand her a match?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 621 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.