Virtual Secrets

PekeNL

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 629 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

2 hours ago, Amina Sopwith said:

I can't form an opinion. It's absolutely unreadable. I literally can't parse the text on it. Can only assume they're all beaming in from some very secure location that garbles all the output until you need a Turing machine to make any sense of it.

Hey Amina! Saw you mentioned in the "Wish they'd come back" post!

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

You can't be serious.

What do you miss most? The Post 6 Girl? Or the regular news updates on the exciting trials and misfortunes of Tizzers?

Give me a break.

The news that I myself covered like the economy and inworld politics.

They even had furries as Post 6 Girls. 

I quit the Herald myself because the editors themselves griefed me but basically it was an important institution for this virtual society that is sorely needed.

There is really no free and critical press in or around SL any more and one person on their blog like me can't fill that gap.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

7 minutes ago, Prokofy Neva said:

The news that I myself covered like the economy and inworld politics.

They even had furries as Post 6 Girls. 

I quit the Herald myself because the editors themselves griefed me but basically it was an important institution for this virtual society that is sorely needed.

There is really no free and critical press in or around SL any more and one person on their blog like me can't fill that gap.

Of course they griefed you -- and wrote about it afterwards. They were griefers posing as edgy "hacktivists."

I'll agree that it would be good if there were an independent and intelligently critical source for news and analysis in SL. But if there was ever a time when the Herald had anything much worthwhile to say, it was well before I was engaging with it in 2009 and after.

And it was hardly "independent": it was always about Sklar and his cyberlibertarian ideology.

• Like 3

Here's the list.  What bothered me even more than the comments about the 100s of sex places I go and with a male avatar (since I guess I'm really a man) is that they spelled my name wrong!  But, the other spelling mistakes did make me LOL.

fc50ae3a4a743eaddf14a80c46ec80d7.png.5d6c33d86e72281308af96114c1511ce.png

• Like 1
  • Haha 13

4 minutes ago, Rowan Amore said:

Here's the list.  What bothered me even more than the comments about the 100s of sex places I go and with a male avatar (since I guess I'm really a man) is that they spelled my name wrong!  But, the other spelling mistakes did make me LOL.

There is nothing about this that isn't just bizarrely random. Including the spelling.

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

11 minutes ago, Rowan Amore said:

Oh, I'm kinda sorry I laughed at this, but... yeesh. I know being targeted even by... bad spellers (?) is a pain in the butt, and even though we can laugh, it is still a pain in the butt.

My trolls spelled better and could sling a sentence together. But, this is also such a bizarre list of people that are supposed to be your alts. If those ARE all your alts, my god, you're extremely talented. My trolls would engage in forensic typing and syntax, and wow, no one on that list posts remotely similarly (except maybe good spellers?)

Is this all about the spelling?

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Seicher Rae said:

Oh, I'm kinda sorry I laughed at this, but... yeesh. I know being targeted even by... bad spellers (?) is a pain in the butt, and even though we can laugh, it is still a pain in the butt.

My trolls spelled better and could sling a sentence together. But, this is also such a bizarre list of people that are supposed to be your alts. If those ARE all your alts, my god, you're extremely talented. My trolls would engage in forensic typing and syntax, and wow, no one on that list posts remotely similarly (except maybe good spellers?)

Is this all about the spelling?

Honestly, it didn't bother me in the least.  Amused me, yes.  I've had far worse comments directed at me in the forums by a serial spammer which continued inworld.  Those didn't bother me either.  A few people from here did message me to see if I was ok afterwards which actually made me feel really good.  

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Arielle Popstar said:

I went and searched my name too and couldn't find anything. I'm disappointed and seeing I need to up my game!

Where do you search.. I tried looking and can't tell after the search where to look.. that site is like goofy.. I just see a bunch of memes.. lol

1 hour ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

Of course they griefed you -- and wrote about it afterwards. They were griefers posing as edgy "hacktivists."

I'll agree that it would be good if there were an independent and intelligently critical source for news and analysis in SL. But if there was ever a time when the Herald had anything much worthwhile to say, it was well before I was engaging with it in 2009 and after.

And it was hardly "independent": it was always about Sklar and his cyberlibertarian ideology.

Your memory is very selective.

The Alphaville Herald began with the Sims Online in about 2000 and switched over to Second Life in about 2004 when a group of us migrated from TSO to SL. Urizenus Sklar, a professor of linguistics in RL, was the founder, but there were other editors, including Pixeleen Mistral, who in real life invented Gopher and worked on Croquet, and Mark Wallace, a writer and early journalist of the Metaverse. 

Of course it was independent, and dependent not only on Sklar -- although it's a curious notion of yours that if one publisher decides to sponsor a newspaper, that newspaper now isn't "independent" -- when of course it is, and it is the plurality of such independent media outlets that makes up a free press. Certainly it's independent from the "state," in this case a game company and a virtual world company. It's more than fine. 

The Herald broke many important stories, for example I recall one I wrote that CNET covered which was about Philip calling in the FBI finally to investigate recurring crashes of the entire grid, when SL would be down for days.

If it adapted the persona of a tabloid and covered picaresque figures like BigJohn Slade, that added to its charm. The comments were the main place outside of these forums to discuss the burning issues of SL. Sklar (Peter Ludlow) wrote a whole book about the Herald, which I myself find tendentious, but I appreciate its role.

We have no intelligentsia like that in SL now. None. At one time, these figures, who were tied into a network of professors and journalists outside of SL who covered games and worlds critically, formed a very important body of thinkers. We have nothing like that now. Thinkers like Matthew Ball dismiss SL utterly, and get it wrong utterly. I'm reading his book now; he has the temerity to say that no university was ever in a virtual world when we have had HUNDREDS of educators, including the Ivy League schools, and have quite a few today, even after the high water point when schools got non-profit discounts (I believe this has now been restored).

2 hours ago, Rowan Amore said:

I am so honored.  I had no idea that I had made the list.

But yes, everyone knows that we are all Maddie's alts.

Edited by LittleMe Jewell
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

LOL they think you are all of those people? LOL

Wait..Roman Amore AKA...roman amore. OMG you are pretending to be YOURSELF!

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 629 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.