Virtual Secrets

PekeNL

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 629 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

12 hours ago, Rat Luv said:

Who's John Nobhead? xD

Squatter and dropper of the turds that comprise Gor. 500-year-old windbag who saw a Women's Lib demonstration in 1965 and is still tantrumming about it, doesn't understand gravity or saturated markets and couldn't find the <ahem> if he was guided there by Kenton Cool.

12 hours ago, Rat Luv said:

We had a chat recently in another thread but can't remember which one now :S about that old Channel 4 documentary about the SL Gor master who tries to start a cult in RL...do you remember it? 

I don't think so, but I vaguely remember a Gor house getting busted years ago after reports that a woman was being held against her will. It turned out she'd followed orders to destroy her passport. There was an interview with the Bore Master of the house and I know you shouldn't make fun of how people look but let's just say if anyone looked like the kind of man who couldn't get a shag unless he rendered a woman unable to leave the country, that was him.

Edited by Amina Sopwith
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

That's pretty uncalled for.

So it's ok first to perceive the intelligentsia as only "professors and journalists" (what about writers? artists? scientists?!). Then it's ok to insult them, and knock people who used their own time and resources to mount an independent publications for years on end for two virtual worlds which sorely needed it (you keep harping on "Post 6" and never mentioning all the exposure of corruption). Then I simply agree with the author's own assessment. You can understand why people turn to "Virtual Secrets" as bad as it is!

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Amina Sopwith said:

Squatter and dropper of the turds that comprise Gor. 500-year-old windbag who saw a Women's Lib demonstration in 1965 and is still tantrumming about it, doesn't understand gravity or saturated markets and couldn't find the <ahem> if he was guided there by Kenton Cool.

I don't think so, but I vaguely remember a Gor house getting busted years ago after reports that a woman was being held against her will and. It turned out she'd followed orders to destroy her passport. There was an interview with the Bore Master of the house and I know you shouldn't make fun of how people look but let's just say if anyone looked like the kind of man who couldn't get a shag unless he rendered a woman unable to leave the country, that was him.

Wasn't Gor created by a professor in Queens, of all places, who wrote a bunch of novels? 

13 hours ago, Blaise Glendevon said:

Virtual Secrets is the spawn of Shopping Cart Disco. Nobody read any of the other features, so they just whittled down to what was Second Life Secrets but was re-named Virtual Secrets at about the same time that Second Life Universe (the forum) re-named to VirtualVerseOne. Not that those sites are related, but Second Life started enforcing some point of trademark that lead sites named Second Life [thing] to swap branding. 

I used to read Shopping Cart Disco, which was authored by a former Herald writer. Well, the SL-related media has all gone downhill that's for sure but there is only room to improve for another new generation of muck-rakers.

10 minutes ago, Prokofy Neva said:

So it's ok first to perceive the intelligentsia as only "professors and journalists" (what about writers? artists? scientists?!). Then it's ok to insult them, and knock people who used their own time and resources to mount an independent publications for years on end for two virtual worlds which sorely needed it (you keep harping on "Post 6" and never mentioning all the exposure of corruption). Then I simply agree with the author's own assessment. You can understand why people turn to "Virtual Secrets" as bad as it is!

This is not the issue, and you know it.

If you disagree with what Lindal said, then argue with her points on their own merits -- as, in fact, you just did above.

The ad hominem snark, on the other hand, was unnecessary and mean-spirited.

Believe it or not, I thought you were better than that.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

If you disagree with what Lindal said, then argue with her points on their own merits -- as, in fact, you just did above.

Her ad hominem snark is always ok, mine isn't. OK, that's fine, just so we know the rules. But it's a statement of fact.

• Haha 2

15 hours ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

Well, good question. I mean they should have known me well enough to understand that I was not going to pose for them. I was certainly eloquent enough on my feelings about Post 6.

But it is interesting that Timothy apparently thought that a (public) offering of a spread there (so to speak) would be something I'd consider. It suggests that maybe he either wasn't really getting it, or that he suspected my motives, and thought I was really either just jealous, or craving attention. Either way, he certainly wasn't taking my criticisms seriously.

I should say that I made it clear enough, I think, that my objections to Post 6 were not prudish. I'd have been fine with it, including the nudity, had they chosen people with actual accomplishments beyond an ability to max out shape sliders, or who had things to say. I do nudes and semi-nudes myself on Flickr: the issue, as I'm sure I don't need to say to you, wasn't nudity, but rather the context and how it was served up.

I should also say that on at least one occasion I got rather mean about one of their models, who really presented herself as the ultimate inflatable and brainless large-breasted boopsie. I don't know if she was really as clueless and empty-headed as she sounded, or if it was role play, but I should have been a great deal more gentle and less satirical than I was. I'm not very proud of how I managed that. Sometimes walking the line between making a point, and scoring points, can be difficult to negotiate, and I've got it wrong on more than one occasion.

It's hard to accept, I know, given what we think of as all the advances of the women's rights movement in the last 100 years, that some people in a virtual world want to play "brainless large-breasted boopsies" who are "clueless and empty-headed". The expression of this has become more and more outrageous with every passing sales event. Obviously, there's a market for it. Look at the MP, last things bought.

I mean, maybe they do brain surgery all day and need a break. Maybe they are closeted transgender m2f in RL. Maybe they are girls who just want to have fun.

It's also hard to draw the line. At what point does a person who is large-breasted a "boopsie"? What defines "brainless"? Etc. These can be judgement calls. I think you have to take the attitude that people will do what they want when they are free, and on this score in SL, they are certainly free. You can always make a sim with, I dunno, Lysistrata or something.

• Like 2

I know, everyone in SL 'hates drama'. But I secretly like it, SL drama is silly and usually entertaining.

Once I was directed to VS and it was fun for a minute, but swiftly became repetitive. It may be different if I knew the 'community', but it's clear we do not, and will not occupy the same spaces in SL. Haven't been back since.

• Like 5

2 minutes ago, Mr Amore said:

I know, everyone in SL 'hates drama'. But I secretly like it, SL drama is silly and usually entertaining.

Once I was directed to VS and it was fun for a minute, but swiftly became repetitive. It may be different if I knew the 'community', but it's clear we do not, and will not occupy the same spaces in SL. Haven't been back since.

There's a reason there are popcorn eating memes out there. :) But yes, there's drama (I particularly enjoy the little flurries that pop up in my adult groups, oy oy oy), and then there is wtf, never-ending yeesh. I don't think anyone really can follow what is going on over there at VS, from what I can see that would be near impossible. There have been many a time when the forums here have also been wtf, never-ending yeesh.

colbert-popcorn-popcorn.gif

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

No, no....I encouraged that. Prok, I apologize. For deliberately goading you, but not for despising the "intelligentsia". Not, mind you, actual smart, educated, thinking people. Rather, the kind of self-satisfied, self-important people that the word itself has come (at least for me) to connote.

• Like 3

50 minutes ago, Mr Amore said:

Iknowrite? They should charge extra for the Forum.

36 minutes ago, Lindal Kidd said:

No, no....I encouraged that. Prok, I apologize. For deliberately goading you, but not for despising the "intelligentsia". Not, mind you, actual smart, educated, thinking people. Rather, the kind of self-satisfied, self-important people that the word itself has come (at least for me) to connote.

I thought that basically, the "FIC" and "Intelligentsia" are equivalent judgements / insults.

Each are judging some "other group".

Big difference, in my opinion, between drama and DRAMA.

Good drama...an exciting, emotional, or unexpected series of events or set of circumstances

BAD DRAMA...A way of relating to the world in which a person consistently overreacts to or greatly exaggerates the importance of benign events.

Typically "drama" is used by people who are chronically bored or those who seek attention.

People who engage in "drama" will usually attempt to drag other people into their dramatic state, as a way of gaining attention or making their own lives more exciting.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, Rowan Amore said:

Typically "drama" is used by people who are chronically bored or those who seek attention.

oh em gee... when I returned I mentioned I was just stopping in because I was bored for a few days...

Rowan. Rowan? Rowan!   :::sobs:::

I shall now go to VS and whip up a few more jpgs for you.

giphy (1).gif

Edited by Seicher Rae
hit post too fast, buttons are hard
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

20 minutes ago, Love Zhaoying said:

Thank goodness, or if he found out, he probably would have written more Gor novels.

Although (and I could be really wrong here, as it isn't my area of SL focus, but it is adjacent to one of my SL interests)... from what I can tell, Gor hit a heyday around 10 years ago. Now I rarely see it mentioned, even in adult communities. Some, but generally from people who have been doing it for 10+ years. (howwwwww?)

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Seicher Rae said:

oh em gee... when I returned I mentioned I was just stopping in because I was bored for a few days...

Rowan. Rowan? Rowan!   :::sobs:::

I shall now go to VS and whip up a few more jpgs for you.

giphy (1).gif

Bored for a few days as opposed to chronically bored makes ALL the difference in the world.  People who are chronically bored are, IMO, boring people.  You are definitely not that.  

Edited by Rowan Amore
because Lindal said so :)
  • Like 2

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 629 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.