How big is your block list?

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 455 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I have 180. Only 3-4 are objects.  One of them was in Belli when I had a neighbor who left their piano running 24/7 and didn't restrict sound to their parcel. 

My blocked avatars list consists mostly of:

1) People who have behaved poorly directly toward me in IMs or local chat, mostly thirsty males.

2) Gesturbators and poofers

3) People who, while in stores or shopping events, use annoying sounds like cigarette lighters, spankers, and probably the most annoying ones are the orgasming ones.  I don't go to stores to listen to a lighter click on every 30 seconds. If you're smoking cigarettes like that,  be sure to buy an oxygen tank to be realistic.  I also don't go to stores to listen to people spank, moan, or orgasm. Leave that crap at home or at sex clubs.  I'd say at least half of that 180 is from this category.

4) Griefers.  Thankfully I haven't seen many of those lately. 

• Like 5

11 hours ago, Stephanie Lovely said:

How many entries are on your block list in world? After 16 years, mine stands at 194 entries. I have to say, I am pretty fast to block people. I don't put up with creepiness, or trolling, and I don't engage with anyone who annoys me in that way, I just immediately block. What about you, do you make much use of the block feature in world?

it used to be zero. Until 2022 when individuals on SL kept vocalizing that that is their preferred method to treat anyone they disagreed with.. so I initiated the "When In Rome" protocol and gave them exactly what they wanted - with them first on the list.

Also extending it cross-platform to anyone who acts offended to anything I say, or has a tantrum or any other issue that would cause them to want to tattletale to the authorities. So not I block them so they never have to feel that ever again.

Sad, but true.
That is the way.

• Haha 1

258 total, with 45% being objects or subscribers I did not subscribe to, and no matter how long I looked in the store to unsubscribe, I could not find the thingy.  So...blocked.  The other 55% are trolls, idjits who contacted me with sexual innuendos as a conversational opener and one interesting feller who I agreed to dance with and promptly whipped out his freenis when I hopped on the dance ball.   My 2nd life is interesting sometimes lol.

• Like 2

You made me look. There are 44. Less than half are avatars, and I don't recognize a single one of them.  I suspect that many of those are people wearing tummy talkers, but it's actually been so long since I last heard a tummy talker that I can't be sure.  I block things sparingly and people even more rarely.  I don't think I have ever taken an entry off my block list, so those 44 have taken 15+ years to accumulate.  What's that ... about three a year?

3 hours ago, Rowan Amore said:

Oh and one from the forums who I did block inworld.  I like to see what offensive thing they have said here so I can "tattletale to the authorities" when needed.   😂🤣

People can't get offended, get frustrated or angry or tattletale if they can't see or read or hear anything you say. It's the best policy  moving forward :D

• Confused 1

13 minutes ago, Codex Alpha said:

People can't get offended, get frustrated or angry or tattletale if they can't see or read or hear anything you say. It's the best policy  moving forward :D

True but you blocking them doesn't mean they can't still see and respond to what you say and report if offensive.  🤔

• Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

47 minutes ago, Codex Alpha said:

People can't get offended, get frustrated or angry or tattletale if they can't see or read or hear anything you say. It's the best policy  moving forward

Well, except perhaps not being offensive.  ;) 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Thanks for the reminder that this OP was. :)  Like a few have said, I tend to clear it out every few months. I rarely have people on it, but sure, I have. Usually it is a fast on and fast off, like someone was a jerk and rather than keep getting IMs from them, I block them. I will never see or hear from them again, they are random one-offs, and so I will delete them off. If I don't recognize the name two weeks later, they are taken off the list. For the people on the list that are "oh I really know who you are and never want to speak to you again" they've remained for a few months or a few years.

I just went inworld and checked. Huh. There was one person on the "I really know who you are..." category, but they are long gone out of my life, so "unblocked."

Usually my block list is full of object things I have no idea what they are or how the got there. Probably some setting on my viewer that is just doing it for me. So... I delete those out too.

To now answer your question: I have zero.  

Please don't make me regret typing that "out loud" :)

Edited by Seicher Rae
  • Like 2

About 9 , all the same scum and it should be about 20 , but it was over a year before it occurred to me that the block was a handy way to keep list of all its alts .

I don't block idiots , when i was more inclined to be friendly i would instead explain to them what they did wrong and offer some tips on how to connect with other avatars .

The gloating of experienced players when a newbie got kicked for trying to make the game fun while not really understanding that most of the other avatars present were people just like him/her always made me grind my teeth .

9 times out of 10 the clueless jackass who just got booted , and is currently being derided by the crowd , will respond with intelligent appreciation .

Very small world sl and nobody tries my patience any more , I guess they realize they have exhausted my tolerance and extinguished my empathy .

• Haha 1

I usually clear mine out now and. The only two permanent residents are two in world shops infamous for spamming everyone who has ever visited their sim (which I've reported countless times and nothing has happened, so... permanent block it is :P). Right now it's about 8 total, though.

Curse you for making me curious and log in at 2:30am when I should be in bed trying to get to sleep!  

My grand total - 409.  I honestly thought it would be a lot more.

I tend to block gesturbators, spamming objects, my exs, people who talk too much at events (seriously discuss buying that dress with your friend in IM), people who talk too much at clubs ("look at me look at me" attention seekers!) and fuglies I derender so I don't have to look at their greyed out pixels.

Yes I know...I'm not always such a nice person.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Rowan Amore said:

True but you blocking them doesn't mean they can't still see and respond to what you say and report if offensive.  🤔

14 hours ago, Rolig Loon said:

Well, except perhaps not being offensive.  ;) 

Rather than cast aspersions or make accusations to an individual's behaviour just be informed that the post applies not only to SL but every other online platform, virtual or not - where this is now my personal policy trying to survive in a changed world of 2022.

And yes, I'm sure I'll offend someone again, and that's okay ::wink:: That's the risk of conversing and discussing ideas with other people - to accept that you will offend people, and that you will be offended.

Edited by Codex Alpha
  • Haha 1

I blocked somebody once a few years ago when I was still playing Linden Realms. He kept sending me IMs just to distract me so he could grab "my" crystals. Unblocked him as soon as I had finished. Oh, and I once accidentally blocked one of my alts.

That's all. If somebody is too annoying, I simply bore them to death with idle chattering. I've got a talent for that, it's much more fun and who knows, maybe he or she is a future customer who needs some support some day.

Edited by ChinRey
  • Like 1

On occasions I've found myself unable to buy an item or collect a gift. It turns out on those occasions I'd had the store owner blocked, or muted, following spammy IMs most likely from a subscriber group which I either didn't subscribe to or was unable to unsubscribe from.

The most recent time this happened was at SL19B when clicking on a store's event gift nothing happened. It transpired I had the store owner blocked. I must've clicked 'Mute Sender' on a repetitive IM. I unblocked them and clicked the gift again only to receive a message informing me that only one gift per user and I'd already received mine, but I hadn't. I sent a pleasant notecard to the store owner but heard nothing back. Oh well. All my other avatars picked it up but I checked for a block first.

In my earlier years in SL it always confused me regarding the difference between block and mute. Press Mute Sender or right-click to block an avatar they all end up on your blocked list. Semantics, perhaps, but I wish they'd make it clear by using only one form of terminology. I recall in the past spending ages trying to locate my 'muted list'.

Looking at a Blocked list for one of my avatars it looks like the bulk of those blocked are for groups.

• Like 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 455 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.