Opinions on designers using tictoc and commercials for their products???

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 641 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

OK does anyone else think all these designers using videos and TicTok to promote their products as ridiculous? Dont we have enough commercials on social media? Just a waste of my time in my opinion. We can demo it ourselves. My time can be better used. Any other opinions?? Honestly when we see a commercial, what do we do? We X it out! 

• Confused 1

If there isn't a demo sign there or a  scroll over the image to get one, the relationship is over before it started..

Maybe that's why I've never seen these tic tok  or videos before..

I see it as this.. If they don't have a demo out, they have something to hide.. They might not have something to hide, but that's the way I'm gonna take it.

Not that I put that much thought into it at the time.. No demo no buy, on to the next one.

• Like 3

All the big designers are doing it in their flickrs and groups... constant links .. instead of wasting money having these mini fashion shows made why not just knock off 10 percent or something off their products... that would be more useful in this economy

Edited by DeeVious Dagger

Advertising doesn't serve the same purpose as discounting prices does. Advertising is to get your name, brand, etc., in front of as many people as possible, and discounts are used as a way to keep the customers who already know about you.

No point in having a sale if you don't advertise.

Don't get me wrong, I hate commercials with a passion, and always have. I used to pick them apart so badly when watching TV that my family would kick me out of the room for obsessing over how much I hated the ads, but advertising works, so people do it.

Every platform that has access for advertisers will have advertisers. Word of mouth isn't enough, and just because I think their commercials are lame doesn't mean they're all fools for making commercials. if there's one thing I know about people it's that nobody does nothing for nothing.

Short answer: it pays. If I wasn't so lazy and if I didn't hate commercials myself, I'd probably be doing it too, look at Ron Popeil, that guy made a fortune selling stuff that was no better than some of the crazy junk I've made, and all because his ads for ridiculous products were plastered everywhere.

• Like 3

I've never seen these ads. Honestly, there isn't much advertising of brands in SL. Ask me what good hair stores are and I'll tell you the one I have visited but I can't tell you about the ones I don't know about. I'm constantly surprised to find a well established store in SL that I have never seen before. The events seem to do a good job to getting a store noticed and I think the creators need to make sure they've got everything set up in their demos to drive customers to their main store.

• Like 4

I don't really get the objection. Designer groups and flickr accounts are advertising. It's the whole reason they exist. So if you follow brands on social media or join their groups, you are essentially opting in for advertising. Whether they are photos of outfits or videos made for tiktok makes no difference to me.

• Like 8

I think most of the ones clicking on those links are people waiting for a next release..

Honestly, the last place I'm clicking a link is in group chat, especially if I'm already a member of their group on flicker..

Too many new users lose their accounts to covered  up or misleading links in group chat.. It's bad practice to get new users used to clicking group chat links..

I seen at the very least three people that clicked on a covered up link the other night, that was spamming group after group..

I check all my flicker groups when I'm bored or on Fridays and Saturdays, if they don't have it in photos, then I'm not gonan see it..

otherwise I have the group chats set to where they can't spam me from the group settings.

• Like 2

Makes no difference to me, but then again I don't use tiktok.  I have flickr...it's enough.

9 hours ago, PheebyKatz said:

Short answer: it pays. If I wasn't so lazy and if I didn't hate commercials myself, I'd probably be doing it too, look at Ron Popeil, that guy made a fortune selling stuff that was no better than some of the crazy junk I've made, and all because his ads for ridiculous products were plastered everywhere.

Years later...The Set It and Forget It is my favorite appliance.  Takes a licking and keeping on rotating:)  I love mine!

12 hours ago, DeeVious Dagger said:

OK does anyone else think all these designers using videos and TicTok to promote their products as ridiculous? Dont we have enough commercials on social media? Just a waste of my time in my opinion. We can demo it ourselves. My time can be better used. Any other opinions?? Honestly when we see a commercial, what do we do? We X it out! 

what? I have no idea what you are talking about.... I like designers using you tube for tutorials and yes, sometimes to see the product in action.. but I have never heard of someone using tictok  (I am over 20 so I do not use the ticktock) I mean.. just stay off it if it makes you mad..... way too much drama for me. Like how I stay off the face book and the twitter... ; )) 

• Like 3

I don't mind creators advertising on media outside of SL. However, in some cases I won't/can't view said ads because I don't have that platform installed...and I am unwilling to install it just to see an ad.

Yes, I'm looking at you, TikTok and Facebook

What I really do object to is the creators who are putting all their product support on Discord. I don't like Discord, don't understand Discord, and don't want to have to exit SL and go to a different app to answer a question I could much more easily ask of an in-world product group.

Yes, I'm looking at YOU, Lelutka.

• Like 4

4 hours ago, Lindal Kidd said:

I don't mind creators advertising on media outside of SL. However, in some cases I won't/can't view said ads because I don't have that platform installed...and I am unwilling to install it just to see an ad.

What I really do object to is the creators who are putting all their product support on Discord. I don't like Discord, don't understand Discord, and don't want to have to exit SL and go to a different app to answer a question I could much more easily ask of an in-world product group.

Ya, if they aren't on flicker or Seraphim or Teleport, I'll probably miss the show..

And if support is only outside of world on some app, then I'll just have to start missing them altogether. 

In a world flooded with more things than we'll every use, It's just not worth hop skip and jumping all over the place, when we can probably find similar if not better else where without all the exercise. hehehehe

I’m not a user of TikTok to have seen these advertisements.  But if I were  I’d just as likely to  scroll past &/or click the “mute this ad” like I do already with repetitive ones I see on Twitter if I were somehow targeted by an algorithm.   Not that it would bother me that the creators were advertising, it just wouldn’t interest me.  I look at the shopping sales blogs (yes I know I caused a ruckus a few weeks ago).  

In the end tho, more power to those creators who take that extra step.  It’s probably fun to exercise their imaginations to create even more diverse mediums & goes towards the immersion of having a “second life.”  

edit: I forgot to say that for those people who trigger the algorithm but aren’t familiar SL, would it lead them to googling what it was for?  I’m not sure. 

Edited by Pixie Kobichenko

On 7/30/2022 at 11:12 AM, DeeVious Dagger said:

You're free to not look at them. End of discussion.

Personally, I think they're fun and cute. As for customer service moving to Discord, it's a 100% improvement over in-world chat, which is held together with string, duct tape, and chewing gum. 

Edited by Blaise Glendevon

8 hours ago, Lindal Kidd said:

I 💯 agree. And it’s giving them your Ip and I think MAC address.. I’ve seen some people and groups state that support is only done in discord. I’ve used it a couple times for help with lelutka products but I found the interface confusing and I got no use for it. SL gives me at least some barriers from nefarious users. 

• Like 2

I have not seen this, the TikTok thing. If it helps them reach a new audience, then it is a good thing. I only follow creators on Flickr, not on Facebook or Instagram or whatever other god awful social media platform they choose to use. I don't use creators' Discords either. But a lot of people engage with these platforms so if it helps them get sales, I say it is a smart move.

I'm agreeing with the people who are saying, "What's the big deal. Watch or don't watch." I've clicked some, often for dance animation "movies." I ignore most. Why shouldn't designers use various ways to promote themselves? It is also a bit of a false dichotomy (sort of) as someone else mentioned, that instead of these kinds of promotions the people could lower their prices. While corporations like Coke have huge advertising budgets, and sure, the cost of all of that gets passed along to the consumer, I don't think that is generally the case for the lone SL designer who swings an inworld camera around to create a video of a product.

I wasnt saying they shouldnt do them I was just wondering if anyone else thought they were ridiculous... 3 major brands now are putting out these mini fashion show commercials.. i was just trying to see what the consumers like or dont like... personally I think they are a waste of time... i wont watch them.. was wondering if other consumers felt the same... if people like them then go forward and prosper but if consumers blow them off isnt it a good thing for designers to know?? 

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 641 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.