Biggest problem with virtual worlds?

Syn Enyo

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 679 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Hello!

I'm doing an assignment for my college entrepreneurship class and we’re suppose interview people.

I was wondering what your biggest problem in the virtual world space and/or gaming? How does it effect you? How often? How do you currently solve your problem or work around it?

Thanks! Will be helpful for me and probably also an interesting discussion! 

Edited by Syn Enyo
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

I am not sure that starting a forum thread would count as "conducting interviews" by your professor. You might consider choosing people on your Friends list and doing actual interviews in world.

But here's my response.

My biggest problem in the virtual world/gaming space is my aging eyesight. It limits the amount of time I can spend staring at a computer monitor, and my ability to read small text. I run into this nearly every day, toward the end of the day. I solve the problem by logging out and going to bed.

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

Timezones. Most people I meet live half across the world in real life, so catching each other online is a challenge, especially if something changes in our schedules or real life gets busy. The window to see each other is very small. And virtual worlds without friends are just not as fun.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 2

Honestly my biggest problems are with RL, not SL. 

It's a pretty good virtual world when my biggest inworld problem is having too much free stuff to sort through.

How does it effect you?

Feeling FOMO stress. "What if I'm not getting something good because I don't have time to shop, unpack and sort my inventory?"

How often?

Every time I see an event or hunt advertised - which is pretty much any day I go into SL or see YouTube videos about SL.

How do you currently solve your problem or work around it?

I remind myself of all the great stuff I already have and how there will always be more available in SL. I also remind myself of the time and effort it takes to weed and organize my inventory. If I take an hour to collect a bunch of free stuff, it will probably take 2 hours to sort and weed it. I also remind myself that I enjoy doing other things in SL besides sorting inventory, such as exploring this virtual world and seeing the new developments in it.

Edited by Persephone Emerald
to add more to my response
  • Like 5

15 minutes ago, Persephone Emerald said:

Honestly my biggest problems are with RL, not SL. 

It's a pretty good virtual world when my biggest inworld problem is having too much free stuff to sort through.

^^ This.

Issues in SL are nothing but irritations compared to RL issues.

• Like 6

On 7/20/2022 at 7:19 PM, Syn Enyo said:

I'm doing an assignment for my college entrepreneurship class and we're [I'm] suppose[d to] interview people.
was [am] wondering what your biggest problem in the virtual world space and/or gaming [is]?. How does it e[a]ffect you? How often? How do you currently solve your problem[,] or work around it?

This is not how you interview people. This is how you post a very short survey on an internet forum.

Anyway. My biggest problem in this virtual world is that I have a hard time telling whether someone is pretending/roleplaying, or whether they are serious. For instance: are you really in college, following an entrepreneurship class, or are you just roleplaying? It can be a serious problem. About a decade ago, I worked for a rather high-profile gaming company in SL, and I had to interview several scripter candidates. They were applying for a real job, but I had the impression that the interviewees thought this was all roleplay. One outright lied about their skills and had to be fired pretty soon after they were hired. Two were constantly emoting during the interview - hissing, shedding fur, etc. - needless to say, they weren't even hired.

Edited by Arduenn Schwartzman
https://community.secondlife.com/forums/topic/489224-biggest-problem-with-virtual-worlds/?do=findComment&comment=2483251
  • Like 8
  • Haha 2

The biggest problem with virtual worlds?

Hmm, thee biggest problem.....

I'm gonna say, when they go down..  A lot of people seem to not like that very much..

Some even get ....o<o... o>o....ovo...*Whispers* Really Mad.  :ph34r:

But you didn't hear that from meh.

Yeh, this reeks of an exploratory pre-test. At least I hope that's what this is meant to be. Ah whatever. The question is interesting enough to ponder.

The biggest problem in virtual worlds, to me, are cliques. They're a natural consequence, we humans often strive to be with like minded people. Yet they're often a source of toxicity once people hanging out turn into people keeping others out.

How do I solve it? With charm, cheekiness and a complete lack of shame? No idea. I guess mostly by finding my own in-groups and then actively pushing back when I notice people begin othering.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

18 hours ago, Syn Enyo said:

I was wondering what your biggest problem in the virtual world space and/or gaming?

Not enough time, too many things to do.

How does it effect you?

I spend limited time, and  do limited things instead of the time and things I would like to spend and do.

How often?

Does not apply, choosing time and projects is always a choice to be made.

How do you currently solve your problem or work around it?

Change projects and/or priorities based on interests, time available, project burnout.

This was an "Easy" questionnaire. Not sure of any discussion around it.

• Like 1

My biggest problem is remembering to log off and actually get some sleep, because I'm UK based and most events I want to go to are very late for me. And I have ADD

How it affects me & how often: Occasional nights, maybe once a week or so of getting no more than 5 hours sleep (though that's not a significant reduction on my usual 6-7 so I cope ok).

How I resolve it:  Compensate by making sure I get enough sleep the rest of the week. I also reserve a couple of evenings per week off SL; I may go online earlier in the day if I get the chance but those two evenings are for RL family time and RL activities.

• Like 2

20 hours ago, Syn Enyo said:

I was wondering what your biggest problem in the virtual world space and/or gaming? How does it effect you?

My biggest problem is I spend too much time reading online forums about virtual worlds, especially this one.  

It affects me by getting hopelessly behind sorting and trimming my SL inventory.  Then I get depressed thinking about it, and get another beer.

Edited by Jaylinbridges
  • Like 2
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, Krystina Ferraris said:

Compared to RL this SL world is problem free. Annoying people can be dealt with the mute button, and super annoying ones with derender. Now if only I had those in RL!

If I had those in RL, there'd only be about a dozen people. On the whole planet!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I've been enjoying myself here for 15+ years, pretty much daily. I have never had anything serious enough to call a problem in SL and I don't have anything to do with other virtual worlds/platforms.  I suppose that if I did have anything serious enough to call a "problem", I'd probably just take a break for a while and come back when it resolves itself. I can outlast most annoyances.  Life is too short to let worries in a virtual world keep me from getting on with the rest of my life.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, ValKalAstra said:

The biggest problem in virtual worlds, to me, are cliques. They're a natural consequence, we humans often strive to be with like minded people. Yet they're often a source of toxicity once people hanging out turn into people keeping others out.

How do I solve it? With charm, cheekiness and a complete lack of shame? No idea. I guess mostly by finding my own in-groups and then actively pushing back when I notice people begin othering.

I agree these cliques are a problem for many in SL, but not for me as I avoid such people like the plague!

Cliques and "othering" people is as rampant in virtual worlds as it is in real life, unfortunately. Immature people exist everywhere. I've found it manifests more in these 'family groups' where dynamics from RL childhood tend to play out in the SL family, as opposed to groups that have a definite purpose for existing outside family life.

Other than acknowledging what you see as a problem inworld, personally I have very few problems in SL. Other than thinking I should be working on something instead of playing around, but then I have that same issue to sort out in RL too.

• Like 4

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 679 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.