Female avis are getting smaller and smaller? 0.0

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 662 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I remember a few years back the trend was that everyone was a little too big and too tall. However with Legacy becoming popular amongst other bodies that aren't Maitreya/ Belleza/ Slink, I've noticed that 9/10 girls I see are super tiny! 

And I'M the one scaled properly, trust me. I use Alchemy but I'm quite sure all viewers have a height meter and I stand at 1.57 meters, or 5'1. Now that's pretty short already as I am that height in RL and I rarely meet anyone shorter than me unless they're asian. 

Yet everyone I see is a good head shorter than me, with tiny heads to make up for the proportions. Am I the only one who is bothered by this? Also, aren't there certain sims that kick you if you're too short? I wonder how these girls even go (adult) places 0.0

Or am I just hallucinating? Perhaps it's a Maitreya user thing? We're just bigger?:P

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

2 minutes ago, Love Zhaoying said:

Soon they will be 1 tri!

You mean in complexity? 😂 Pretty sure some have already hit that! Though I don't blame them, the legacy body and all that jewelry do look really nice!

Edited by Nightingalia
  • Thanks 1

53 minutes ago, Nightingalia said:

I remember a few years back the trend was that everyone was a little too big and too tall. However with Legacy becoming popular amongst other bodies that aren't Maitreya/ Belleza/ Slink, I've noticed that 9/10 girls I see are super tiny! 

And I'M the one scaled properly, trust me. I use Alchemy but I'm quite sure all viewers have a height meter and I stand at 1.57 meters, or 5'1. Now that's pretty short already as I am that height in RL and I rarely meet anyone shorter than me unless they're asian. 

Yet everyone I see is a good head shorter than me, with tiny heads to make up for the proportions. Am I the only one who is bothered by this? Also, aren't there certain sims that kick you if you're too short? I wonder how these girls even go (adult) places 0.0

Or am I just hallucinating? Perhaps it's a Maitreya user thing? We're just bigger?:P

I met someone from the forum inworld the other day.

She was in a Maitreya body, I was in my classic body.

In the "olden days" my body seemed a normal height but I felt like a giant towering over this poor girl the other day lol

Do I really want to shrink myself to conform to the modern world?

The sunsets are spectacular from up here.  🙂

• Like 2
  • Haha 4

56 minutes ago, Nightingalia said:

And I will be run out of the forum for saying this, but the thing I have really noticed is that girl's bums are bigger now!

What is with that?

I spent years working out in SL to have a cute bum, but now I look like I am underfed compared to most other females in SL.

Its funny how things change.

• Like 6
  • Haha 6

Height in SL is just plain a mess. For example, there were times when I had scaled up my avatar to fit a backdrop made for giants -  and Firestorm went "aye lass, you're now 5cm smaller".

So personally I'll just chalk it up to SL jank and adjust my avatar to what feels natural to me. It sometimes leads to odd moments with furniture for giants or the occasional "everything below 3m is bait" people but overall works well.

Edited by ValKalAstra
  • Like 3

I too follow RL height, somewhat. That being said i am 4'9 in RL and my avatar is taller than that, I am not fond of all the giants. I like sensibly heighted avatars that aren't max height on everything. It just looks weird to me. I generally only buy houses/furniture that is made for normal people not total giants.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, Nightingalia said:

As far as I know, there's no way your viewer can report your actual height by analyzing your avatar. The only information the viewer knows is your bounding box height, which is about to the middle of your head. This is the height that the Linden Lab viewer reports. Firestorm automatically adds a certain amount to this height to approximate the rest of your head. If Alchemy uses bounding-box height this can cause what you're seeing - you're actually taller than you think. Standard mesh bodies (i.e. bodies that aren't deliberately made to deform your height like some "child" bodies) will have no effect on your height.

Edited by Theresa Tennyson
  • Like 3

In RL, I'm looking up when I talk to people most of the time anyways..And ya, I'm shorter than you and not gonna say by how much, because every inch counts.. hehehe

In a 3d world, is smaller really a bad thing? I remember PussyCat used to talk about her avatar being smaller and the advantages of having more room..

Imagine how much room we could have if we really went small..

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

Most houses in SL are made for easy use of the camera at it is positioned standard in the browsers.
Therefor the furniture and the avatars look small.
So furniture is made a bit big bigger than the sizes we know in RL to fit the houses.
And that means that people adapted to those sizes and avatars grew bigger than the RL average standards.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

With the addition of mesh years ago, and the reality of land impact being that smaller objects equal less LI, we've had a rather large shift to making all things smaller. I love this! However, it seems that a large percentage of the male population and a smaller percentage of females haven't noticed this shift. I don't quite understand the shorter is nice but wider is even better trend that has invaded our female fashions, but to each their own. I do believe all this variety in sizes and widths is a big part of the your world your imagination aspect of Second Life. So, it's all good. I think the thing that makes me happiest is that back in the day, if your avatar had a more realistic height you were laughed at and told there was something wrong with your avatar, but these days I don't see that happening nearly as much. So that's a very good thing.

We still have some creators who haven't noticed the shift toward shorter/smaller is better and still create homes/furniture for giants. Fortunately, most of those creators sell their products as mod so I can reduce the size accordingly; however, I have walked away from some really cute homes/furnishings because the items were not mod and just way too big for me to spend my precious land impact using them. With the reality of land impact and size I wouldn't mind if the shorter trend continued and we got even shorter. 

I agree that the default camera viewpoint caused this giant syndrome in the first place. Years and years ago I stopped using the default camera view. I think it's rather common these days for people to change their camera settings. Firestorm has made it super easy. You don't even have to open the debug to fix that problem anymore.

By the way, my avatars are just at or slightly below 6 feet. I typically seem to be slightly on the taller range of most of the females I see these days. I've been this height for most of my SLife. Once upon a time I was super short in comparison to others .. now I tend to be just a bit tall.  Still seem to find my nose at armpit level to most of the men I see. It's not a good look!

• Like 5

3 hours ago, Space Zehetbauer said:

And I will be run out of the forum for saying this, but the thing I have really noticed is that girl's bums are bigger now!

What is with that?

One word....KARDASHIANS!!!

I spent years working out in SL to have a cute bum, but now I look like I am underfed compared to most other females in SL.

You and me both!!!  And my avi has (in my opinion) good proportions.

Its funny how things change.

A-freakin-men!

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Jordan Whitt said:

One word....KARDASHIANS!!!

The Kardashians always like getting  the credit, when it really goes to Nicki Minaj putting the spot light on it. hehehehe

Can't stand The Kardashians and their butt thievery!! \o/

Nicki_Minaj_Anaconda.png

Really Big butts have been around for a long time even before mesh.. People used to get bent with avatars with the really wide bottoms and wide crotches..

They are just mesh now.. hehehehe

Edited by Ceka Cianci
  • Like 4

Jennifer Lopez did more for big butts than the Kardashians.  I think, maybe because she is actually a famous actress rather than just a tv celebrity. But anyway the trend in real life has changed a couple times in my lifetime already, going so thin as to be anorectic in the 60s to more healthy athletic body today.  I think in SL where we can be whatever we want with the touch of a slider, those trends get exaggerated.  Taller was thought to be more desirable so everyone became giants.  Now land impact predominates and the trend now is to be more compact.

Reminds me of that Kurt Vonnegut novel where he had the Chinese choosing to solve their overpopulation problem by reducing their size genetically. 

Edited by kali Wylder
  • Like 4

Bubble butts were made fashionable by hollywood cougars because there isn't much plastic surgeons can do to shrink a fat ass .

The height thing has always been ambiguous in my SL and often weaponized to remove competition , at a club i always hung at the main instigator of people being booted for appearing too small was actually the smallest avatar on the sim .............. but they were neko so thats ok .

When i went mesh i chanced upon an actual height measure at the sandbox so became my rl equivalent of 6ft 1 . When i arrived at my regular club i was a midget lol .

Not sure how it could be done but i always figured parcels should include a discreet but universal door/scale whatever which wouldn't prevent anyone from being 10ft tall monster or a microscopic fairy but rather to add a fair and simple means of contradiction to the common accusation .

Edited by cunomar
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, Blush Bravin said:

Once upon a time I was super short in comparison to others .. now I tend to be just a bit tall.

This.

My avatar's always been tall for a RL woman, at just over 6 feet...but average to a bit short for SL. When I started re-making myself for all mesh, I began with a human-proportioned shape and kept her height at about 5'6". But I quickly got an inferiority complex when I found that almost all the other girls were taller than me.

So I gradually inched my height up, just a little.

I guess I must have hit some sort of average, because I now notice a lot of girls taller than I am, and a lot who are shorter as well.

As for the curves, well, once again I started feeling underprivileged when even the starter avatars (Bitsy, the fashionista) had better buns than me. So I added some padding, and even got a SLink Hourglass body for the times when I wanted a bit more.

I'm still underprivileged compared to some of the girls I see, especially in Adult venues, but most of those I feel are over-exaggerated.

Edited by Lindal Kidd
  • Like 2

In 2012, wow.. ten years ago, I was writing about how avatars look, of which avatar height was a significant factor. See #SL Crusade for Good Looks. At the time @Penny Patton was publishing articles along a similar line and explaining how she was improving viewer performance. Her writing inspired most of my writing on the subject and how I designed my avatars. There are links to her articles.

One great point that Penny made was the use of space in SL. For things to look right - meaning fit human perception, things have to be in proportion. To have a mouse drive a car the car has to be sized to the mouse. Otherwise it looks ridiculous and breaks any idea of immersion or believably in the image. Penny's point was that when most avatars were 6 to 7 ft tall everything in SL has to be bigger to fit them. But if we made our avatars 5 to 6 ft tall then everything could be ~15% smaller meaning we could fit more stuff in a region.

Her position was if we wanted to model based on real-world sizes we needed real-world sized avatars. Plus a reason that things got disproportional in SL was a mistake in the viewer's height reading in the appearance panel. If the panel says you are 5-1 the actual height is more like 5-7. There is something like a 6" or 17cm error. In 2012 it was common knowledge among the post-newbie crew that if you want an avatar of a specific height, you rezzed a cube and dimensioned it to the height you wanted then adjusted the avatar to that height.You some times see height detectors and measuring devices in SL. Nearly all of those have adjusted the viewer error out.

The VR headset rage pressed us to be more realistic with model size. Some people resized their builds in SL expecting VR to come to SL. As mesh was sweeping the grid modelers from other worlds were bringing in RL properly sized models. Plus we could fit more stuff in our builds. So, being smaller and more correctly sized sort of stuck.

Whether one is using a classic body or an awesome super hot mesh body... (no bias on my part 🙄) has no affect on height. ALL BODIES ARE ADJUSTABLE. Height is an adjustment available to all.

Unfortunately there is a fear limit on height. If one is less than 5'-10" (1.78m) tall many region owners consider them a child. While I prefer a 5-10 avatar I have to tweak my shape to a bit over 5-10.

At this point in time I consider an ~7ft (2.13m) avatar a newbie, unless they are obviously trying for a DC Comic character. They are people still figuring out SL. Also, those with disproportionate bodies, I consider them more toward the newbie side. There are those that deliberately go for exaggerated... body parts... that are not newbies. But I'm not into that.

How important any of this is depends on what one wants to do in SL. So size may or may not matter. Being in proportion to others may or may not matter. It is a personal thing.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

Did a little comparison of the SL and Firestorm viewers with height.  I have no idea about alchemy but it seems the Firestorm viewer is closer to what is the actual height of your avatar.  

On 7/10/2022 at 2:24 PM, Rowan Amore said:

Just did a little test in Firestorm viewer...d1b27b6bc07871e351532aa411e69076.png.c48d0aaad08147f96e97469bd3f5b68d.png

And in the official LL viewer...

1826207cd1f74db449095cc400ea9048.png.cd3b87f0ead9be61bdc1ad4f51f64462.png

So, it would seem it's the LL viewer that is off? 

• Like 3

My avatar is accurate RL height - for a Noldorian elf. :D  Just a shade under 7ft with bare feet.

I have noticed people shrinking though - way back when, nearly everyone was the same height as me or taller. now, the majority of women I meet are at least a head shorter than me. So there's a LOT of peole using "true to RL" height now.

Don't know how anyone can get sigificantly below 5ft with Maitreya though - I tried to make a small (but not Petite) fairy avatar and only managed to get down to around 4ft 11, and even then, it ended up looking so distorted and out of proportion I scrapped the entire idea.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 662 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.