Do people check the "picks" on your profile? Also, do you visit others' picks?

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 744 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

8 hours ago, Lindal Kidd said:

I do, I do! I am a confirmed Profile Snoop. I also swipe info from the outfits people are wearing (if I like them), look up the creator and their store, and check them out.

Me too!  Especially when I was a host, I used to think of it as my own personal fashion show.  Any time I liked what someone was wearing I would inspect it to see who made it.  Another thing I'd do was look at people's groups.  In a crowded store, it's often easier to find the group in someone's profile than it is to find the group joiner in the store.

And so often people will use their picks as an extended version of their about blurb. 

• Like 1

Most of the time I have avatar complexity set to zero so everyone is solid gray and I turn off avatar names. Basically, I have no incentive to look at people's profiles. However, I do look at a few whenever a little green dot moves close in the mini-map. I also turn on complexity once in a while to look at people and check their profiles which includes looking at their picks. My currently used avatars have picks for stores and events because they need to be joined or activated in order to get deals or gifts.

I wasn't aware that people find stores by inspecting clothes. A few people ask about my clothing and I just tell them. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Gopi Passiflora said:

Today I just started filling out the picks in my profile with my parcels I'd like to show off, and I'm just curious if people check out your picks if they view your profile, and if you visit other users' picks.

I haven't browsed the "picks" section of profiles I've viewed but maybe I should start doing that to find some cool places!

I always look at Picks when I'm checking out someone's profile, but I seldom ever go to the places -- unless I am looking at a creator's profile specifically to get their current store location, and then it pisses me off big time if there is no Store Pick or if it is no longer current.

• Like 1

Yes... I read profiles and check the picks and GROUPS.

When someone IMs me I answer and then open the Profile. If they look like an idiot or nut then conversation takes a turn. Otherwise I'll be cordial.

2 hours ago, Love Zhaoying said:

So, if someone has no "picks" in their profile.  Is that ok?

Its SL... everyone does what they do. Its one of the freest places around... We don't have this level of freedom even in most RL countries.

So why do you ask if it is OK? If you asked if it was good etiquette, I would make a different take on you question.

In general I take hidden Picks as someone wanting privacy for their kink... embarrassed by their Picks 🙄 They can do that here. If that isn't OK, what is anyone going to do about it?

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

32 minutes ago, Nalates Urriah said:

When someone IMs me I answer and then open the Profile. If they look like an idiot or nut then conversation takes a turn. Otherwise I'll be cordial.

Its SL... everyone does what they do. Its one of the freest places around... We don't have this level of freedom even in most RL countries.

So why do you ask if it is OK? If you asked if it was good etiquette, I would make a different take on you question.

In general I take hidden Picks as someone wanting privacy for their kink... embarrassed by their Picks 🙄 They can do that here. If that isn't OK, what is anyone going to do about it?

How do you hide picks? I thought only groups could be hidden?

• Like 2

40 minutes ago, Nalates Urriah said:

I asked because the OP seemed to "care" by creating the thread! 🙂  I was curious if anyone else really "cared" one way or another.  

*Edit* By "caring" I meant, would you treat someone differently just because they had no "picks"? A few had interesting (if joking) answers.

Edited by Love Zhaoying
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, Arielle Popstar said:
38 minutes ago, Nalates Urriah said:

Expand  

Yes, this ???

47 minutes ago, Nalates Urriah said:

hidden Picks

What viewer are you using? None of the TPVs I've used has that feature, nor does the official viewer.

Personally, I don't put much faith in the groups tab since groups can be hidden. On the other hand, since Picks can't be hidden and if there are any, you have some clues as to the personality behind the avatar.

Edited by Silent Mistwalker
  • Like 2

The web profile has the following privacy options. Of course, It has no effect on legacy style profiles.
Man, the profile system is an arcane mess that should be overhauled completely. (Again...)  Don't get me started on aspect ratios.

1aqmyVp.jpg

Edited by missyrideout
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, Arielle Popstar said:

I just looked. You are right. I goofed.

However... I will have to look into MissyRideout's post. That may do the trick.

Edited by Nalates Urriah
  • Thanks 1

Yes, I too am a profile perv.   

Honestly,  I tend to skim pics,  especially if they have a lot of them with long blocks of text about friends and lovers. 

If I get to know someone by chatting - sometimes I'll go back and actually read what they all say.  :)

It also depends on how busy I am ...    and my mood.

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, missyrideout said:

The web profile has the following privacy options. Of course, It has no effect on legacy style profiles.
Man, the profile system is an arcane mess that should be overhauled completely. (Again...)  Don't get me started on aspect ratios.

1aqmyVp.jpg

Ah. That explains it. I don't use the web profiles. My main's web profile probably still has the old avatar pic on it. lol I changed it months ago on the legacy profile. 

5 hours ago, Lindal Kidd said:

You do realize that a store listed in Picks is often there because the store owner offered the resident a free gift or other benefit for putting it there, right? So...it's an advert.

Don't hate me

None of the stores in my Picks are because the store gives me a gift for listing it.  The stores that I've put there are actually stores that I like a lot.

16 minutes ago, LittleMe Jewell said:

None of the stores in my Picks are because the store gives me a gift for listing it.  The stores that I've put there are actually stores that I like a lot.

I've been given gifts for doing it. It's been so long ago now that I didn't think anyone still does it.

I do recall one so called modeling school that demanded you have all of their groups. If you hid any of the groups, you'd get kicked out. I quit right after I graduated and moved to a better company. lol

Edited by Silent Mistwalker

7 minutes ago, Silent Mistwalker said:

I've been given gifts for doing it. It's been so long ago now that I didn't think anyone still does it.

I do remember getting gifts for Picks back in my early days.  There are still a few places that do it - I see the signs in stores sometimes - but these days the gifts are not important enough to me to cause me to list the place, unless I'd want to promote the store anyway.

• Like 1

I only check picks when I need store information from a creator.
For the rest, I'm not much of a profile reader.
I hardly socialize in SL.  My talkative time goes to the forums.  :D

Edited by Sid Nagy
  • Like 1

You can tell much about a person from their profile. Because we have limited Picks, what people choose to put there tells their priorities. Roleplayers use them to describe their character(s) and the types of roleplay they do. Creators link to their stores and/or sims. Fashionistas might advertise their favorite stores. Photographers link to their Flickr page. Explorers show favorite places. People who value friendship and socialization post about their friends. People who are into romance, put in picks about their SO(s).  Old-timers post about people and places that have passed. People who put nothing are generally new, an alt, not very interesting, not in SL much, or secretive about something. 

IMO

Edited by Persephone Emerald
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

I check out people's picks all the time and look at their groups.  A lot of times the groups will tell a story.  If they have a lot of D/s groups or groups I'm not even the least bit interested in I most likely wouldn't initiate an IM to them.  I assume if it is a group they are a member of they are interested in that particular content.  Same with the picks. If they have that they are polyamorous or have a pick of another woman that clearly shows they are involved with I just feel it's a waste of both of our time.  I've seen a lot of disturbing (at least to me) groups in people's profiles and assume that if they weren't "into" that then they would have hidden that particular group. 

I also avoid IMing people that have something in their profile about their 1st life being "none of your damn business" or "You won't see anything here" type of sayings.  Some of the messages in that area are pretty off-putting and kind of rude.  I don't get too much into my RL on SL but I will share what I do for a living and what state I'm from and my relationship status.  If someone isn't willing to share even that much then we won't have much in common.  

• Like 3

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 744 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.