In Second Life, which avi would you trust more? (human vs. monster)

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 778 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

The "attractive" human avi or the "ugly" monster avi?

Just curious. (No, it's not for a graduate thesis, don't worry.)

I myself, would trust the monster avi more than a male human avi at least (although I would feel no difference in trust between the monster and a female human). I guess because male humans often send unwanted IMs to my female human avis and they just seem more...douchey in general.

In my experience playing as monsters such as aliens, dragons and fishmen, I have gotten more attention as such avis than when I was a male human, which seems consistent to what I feel. My female human avis get a little more attention than my males but still fall short compared to the monsters.

I guess the usual tropes are inverse in Second Life.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

8 minutes ago, Ayashe Ninetails said:

Trust with what? To keep a secret? To borrow my Aston Martin (man I really should buy an Aston Martin the next time I get some Lindens)?

Both. Neither. Need to speak to the person first.

I guess I just mean perceive as friendly and harmless.

I may have worded my OP wrong.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Gopi Passiflora said:

I guess I just mean perceive as friendly and harmless.

I may have worded my OP wrong.

Lol it's okay! 

It wouldn't really make a difference to me. What people wear doesn't really matter to me. Human, furry, monster, satyr, dryad, zombie - it's all good and I'll chat with anyone. 

As long as they aren't trying to eat my face, that is.

• Like 5

I think I would have to talk with anyone for a while before I decide if I'd trust them or not. I also think it would depend on what kind of monster the person is portraying when I decide if I might like them. Anyone wearing the default vampire or werewolf avatars make me very suspicious, because people who make trolling videos sometimes use those. On the other hand, I know a guy who supports Lovecraft sims and often wears a Deep One avatar, which I think shows a sense of humor and passion for something he loves. I once made friends with a guy wearing a snake avatar at in Adult sim. He seemed ok at first, but then turned out to be too dark and weird even for me. I think dragons and most mythical creatures are pretty cool.

I like to wear fantasy skins sometimes, with a mermaid or humanoid alien look. I've been a lamia (snake-woman) and an octo-mermaid before. I'll wear a few tentacles from time to time when the mood strikes me. There are just some times when I feel less like a normal human, and I love that SL lets me express that feeling without scaring off all the other people around me. 

I don't distrust male avatars, but they often seem to be primarily interested in SL sex. I'm happy to help a nice guy get the look he needs to hook up more easily, but I'm not interested in being his partner myself. 

• Like 3

As your op amply demonstrates anyone could be all three , even at the same time . What is trust ? I can't remember how long ago i started counting the seconds before a complete stranger accidentally reveals they know more about me than a stranger could .

9 hours ago, Gopi Passiflora said:

The "attractive" human avi or the "ugly" monster avi?

Just curious. (No, it's not for a graduate thesis, don't worry.)

I myself, would trust the monster avi more than a male human avi at least (although I would feel no difference in trust between the monster and a female human). I guess because male humans often send unwanted IMs to my female human avis and they just seem more...douchey in general.

In my experience playing as monsters such as aliens, dragons and fishmen, I have gotten more attention as such avis than when I was a male human, which seems consistent to what I feel. My female human avis get a little more attention than my males but still fall short compared to the monsters.

I guess the usual tropes are inverse in Second Life.

I agree with you at least partly, and for the same reasons, though it depends to some extent on the type of avatar. Not trust exactly, but I'm more likely to send an IM to someone with an unusual and well-put together avatar. I'm less likely to receive a sexually-loaded IM fron such avatars. I wouldn''t trust anyone using one of the starter monster (zombie, vampire or werewolf) avatars because they tend to be a favourite of griefers. 

I've also gotten more friendly attention from others when I'm non-human, and the most friendly of all when I'm a Dinkie or some other small and cute thing.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, StarlanderGoods said:

Yes, but in SL monsters are just people with some serious kinks.

My chain of trust would be Objects>Humans>Monsters>Animals>Furries>Anime

I have to say I don't know many SL monsters to form a judgment about them, maybe I should start exploring those species. 

In RL, I worked with many giraffes and they never wronged me 🙂 🦒

• Like 4

11 hours ago, Ayashe Ninetails said:

Lol it's okay! 

It wouldn't really make a difference to me. What people wear doesn't really matter to me. Human, furry, monster, satyr, dryad, zombie - it's all good and I'll chat with anyone. 

As long as they aren't trying to eat my face, that is.

Whaaaaaat? No face eating? 😭

• Haha 1

Would we be able to peek at their profiles first?

While an avatar can look attractive be it a Monster, Human, or Furry that perceived beauty can only be skin deep. You might see a stunning avatar but they might have a bunch of social requirements listed in their profile to even get a reaction from them. It can also depend on where a person visits or the groups of people that might hang around such a sim.

I’ve found its really a mixed bag.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

14 hours ago, Krystina Ferraris said:

I have to say I don't know many SL monsters to form a judgment about them, maybe I should start exploring those species. 

In RL, I worked with many giraffes and they never wronged me 🙂 🦒

😂

once I found a man, a few days later he became a horse, he told me that girls like to ride horses.
And offer me to join some kind of teratophilia group

I not say all of them like that, but yes serious kink exist LoL...

Edited by Kalegthepsionicist
  • Haha 2

I think I'll stick to riding my Teeglepet, or be the horse myself, thank you.

I do have a demoness, a tsuchigumo, a kitsune (which is kinda WoD themed with her five forms following their shifting table), working on a gorgon, have a minotaur too, and planning a dragon of both the anthro and feral variety, plus I'm considering how to make a phoenix that doesn't look silly...

Honestly I want to create a ton of youkai avatars, of all sorts, though I'll do a more commonly known European monster as well if I find an avatar I like or can mod one to look good.

• Like 2

I trust people to be nice and friendly until they aren't. One thing I've learned here, and I suppose in life in general, is that judging by the cover just doesn't work. I am a tad suspicious of people who pose as maffia or police, but that as well has proven to be both right and wrong so I just go along expecting the best from people. So far I've been fine.

I actually find most people are quite polite in SL. We have a house next to a sandbox and get the occasional visitor, but not that often. Most ask permission to enter the house and say thank you when they leave. I've even accepted a promise once, working in our store, of payment later in the week from a total stranger that I felt was a nice person. And got it promtly as promised. Can't get good experiences like that unless you trust people :)

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 778 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.