I'm Being Watched!

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 767 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

And not in a good way.

I just posted a reply in the Answers Forum and received a Notice: "Your response must be approved by a moderator", and my reply was flagged as "Hidden". I surmise from this that one or more of my recent posts has been judged to be too...harsh? Critical? Not-nice?...and that my submissions are being monitored.

Either that or their Censorship Engine has got an awfully sensitive set of triggers.

I guess I will be joining Phil Deakins's "Proud To Be Suspended Club" soon.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Lindal Kidd said:

And not in a good way.

I just posted a reply in the Answers Forum and received a Notice: "Your response must be approved by a moderator", and my reply was flagged as "Hidden". I surmise from this that one or more of my recent posts has been judged to be too...harsh? Critical? Not-nice?...and that my submissions are being monitored.

Either that or their Censorship Engine has got an awfully sensitive set of triggers.

I've had that happen, as have others, for no specific reason.

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, Lindal Kidd said:

And not in a good way.

We bid you welcome to the latest Forum Elite club

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

20 minutes ago, Lindal Kidd said:

And not in a good way.

Certain words can set that feature off. I've had it happen and when I exchanged those words for another way of conveying my thoughts, it went through. 

It's not you. It's whoever enabled that feature that really has no clue what they are doing with it or how it works.

• Like 4

• Moles
1 hour ago, Rowan Amore said:

No, the automatic flagging system objected to something in your post, though heaven alone knows what.   It does that sometimes for reasons no one understands.   Anyway, I've unhidden it.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 5

52 minutes ago, Quartz Mole said:

No, the automatic flagging system objected to something in your post, though heaven alone knows what.

You're not telling us you gave that thing a will of its own? Quartz, this is exactly the kind of precursor to the AI revolution that films like Terminator warned us of, and in this day and age we are all too well familiar with the malicious purpose of cyber warfare against our lines of communication!

• Like 3
  • Haha 7

1 hour ago, Quartz Mole said:

No, the automatic flagging system objected to something in your post, though heaven alone knows what.   It does that sometimes for reasons no one understands.   Anyway, I've unhidden it.

I'm sure it is something internal but most who have had this happen can see nothing whatsoever that might be responsible for it, hence, we blame a glitch, gremlin, bug, aliens, conspiracies, etc.   Heaven alone knows and reasons no one understands = no specific reason.  

I actually had a hidden post become unhidden MONTHS later.  That's just weird.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Lindal Kidd said:

And not in a good way.

3 hours ago, Rowan Amore said:

2 hours ago, LittleMe Jewell said:

We bid you welcome to the latest Forum Elite club

2 hours ago, Silent Mistwalker said:

Certain words can set that feature off. I've had it happen and when I exchanged those words for another way of conveying my thoughts, it went through. 

It's not you. It's whoever enabled that feature that really has no clue what they are doing with it or how it works.

... and me too, but not for a few weeks. Never happened to me before (and after all these years!) it threw me into a bit of a wobble to tell you the truth. 

(Is Phil suspended? He is a buggeroo.)

25 minutes ago, Marigold Devin said:

(Is Phil suspended? He is a buggeroo.)

Not currently, as far as I know, but he has been in the past.  Per his current forum 'title', he has been warned 8 times, but I think he's only been suspended 4 or 5 times.  He isn't posting as often as he used to, maybe to help himself avoid getting into arguments with folks - last post was March 5th of this year.

Edited by LittleMe Jewell
  • Thanks 1

takeshita-street-tokyo-entrance-harakuju

Can't mention the name of this street. The forum software got upset when it was mentioned in a discussion of Asian fashion.

This is the famous center of Japanese cute. It's in Harajuku, Tokyo.

Edited by animats
  • Like 2
  • Haha 3

12 minutes ago, Ceka Cianci said:

I just looked on my profile and it say's 0  warning points  on it.. All these years and not a one?

Ever get the feeling that you are invisible?:(

I also have 0 .. That has got to be weird, right? 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Orwar said:

I also have 0 .. That has got to be weird, right? 

I would have thought I would have at least picked up a couple in mah old really long post days.. But then again,making them really long posts might have been what saved from getting any points..

I'm not reading all that!! \o/

hehehehe

• Haha 1

Moderating a forum is a necessity, how strict is always questionable, but one has to accept the rules as they are.
But I don't think that software moderation is added value. At least not as long software isn't capable to understand what the forum members write.
Sure it can scan for a list of words or word combinations but usability is very limited IMHO.

And Animats example a few posts up shows perfectly how easily software moderation can go wrong.

Edited by Sid Nagy
  • Like 2

26 minutes ago, animats said:

takeshita-street-tokyo-entrance-harakuju

Can't mention the name of this street. The forum software got upset when it was mentioned in a discussion of Asian fashion.

This is the famous center of Japanese cute. It's in Harajuki, Tokyo.

Yeah, the forum software isn't very good at ignoring naughty words that just happen to be embedded in the name of things/people.   There are Residents with the last name Sweet.water (period added to keep it from starring out) - if we try to name them here in the forums, their name gets starred out because of the naughty word starting with 'tw' that is embedded in the name. 

• Haha 3

26 minutes ago, Ceka Cianci said:

I just looked on my profile and it say's 0  warning points  on it.. All these years and not a one?

Ever get the feeling that you are invisible?:(

Same here and I have no idea what you have to do to earn those points.

God knows I've tried. I do have two warnings and for the second one I laid it on so heavy they ended up deleting the entire thread, not just my post (I still stand by every word I wrote there btw but that's another story). Even that wasn't enough to win me a point.

1 minute ago, ChinRey said:

Same here and I have no idea what you have to do to earn those points.

God knows I've tried. I do have two warnings and for the second one I laid it on so heavy they ended up deleting the entire thread, not just my post (I still stand by every word I wrote there btw but that's another story). Even that wasn't enough to win me a point.

Wait, you mean warnings aren't points?

OMG it's even worse than I thought it was.. I have Zero of those too!😭

hehehe

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 767 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.