Newbrooke's have been released!

Evangeline Arcadia
You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 820 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

3 minutes ago, LittleMe Jewell said:

The only true violation I see there is the sign on top of the roof looks like it extends higher than 15m above group - and that is a no-no that LL has enforced from day one in all regions.

No...

My home does not even come close to going over 15 meters... 11.6791 meters at the tallest

6fd868459edaa7aeef96e122cb5c7fa6.jpg

• Like 10

6 minutes ago, Evangeline Ling said:

No...

My home does not even come close to going over 15 meters... 11.6791 meters at the tallest

6fd868459edaa7aeef96e122cb5c7fa6.jpg

Well, then I think it should stay.   It is often hard to get a feel for the true height of something from a picture.

I can understand LL's take on angled roofs -- because the flat roof style if very much a part of the defining look for this Theme.  However, I do think that things like yours should be allowed.  That is not changing the "style" of the roof; just adding a sign for the community area.

Edited by LittleMe Jewell
  • Like 4

3 minutes ago, Indy Melody said:

I hope it gets to stay. It's the most creative use of a Linden home I have ever seen and offers a fun activity for entertainment.

In fact I have already had groups of Bellisserians wander in to stay for a game or two of bowling.  They love it... but like i said if a tiny little roof add-on can't meet their criteria i'm not sure how my Bellisseria Bowling Alley will

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, LittleMe Jewell said:

Well, then I think it should stay.   It is often hard to get a feel for the true height of something from a picture.

I can understand LL's take on angled roofs -- because the flat roof style if very much a part of the defining look for this Theme.  However, I do think that things like yours should be allowed.  That is not changing the "style" of the roof; just adding a sign for the community area.

Its more than a sign... i created an addon that goes into the backyard essentially added one big room for the bowling lanes... and there is one middle part of the roof with a slight slant to it only to meet up and connect with the slightly taller bowling room

It does in fact use the texture pack though including the materials too in order to make it blend in with the rest of the house

97de918821978240212536cfb832a9b1.jpg

Edited by Evangeline Ling
  • Like 8

12 minutes ago, Evangeline Ling said:

i'm not sure how my Bellisseria Bowling Alley will

I bet they'll let it stay.  The sign is a bit much, but at least it doesn't have rotating lights, lol.  They've been very tolerant of "novelty" builds in the past, letting them stretch themes, so long as they're fun and not disruptive or obscene.  SL bowling is fun.  Nika still has bowling shoes from the alley in Lionheart Estate.

Wasn't that wonderful pink "Honeymoon Hotel" camper yours?  I don't know if any of these still exist, but there also was:

• The "toxic waste cleanup" build in Permaglow
  • The trashy camper build with the chain-link fence and used cars, people loved that
  • A Victorian funeral parlor
  • Faux shops, pubs, cafes (heck, the Lindens even have a bicycle cafe)
  • Embassies/info centers ALL OVER
  • A faux Victorian Bordello
  • Slenderman's funeral parlor log home
Edited by Nika Talaj
  • Like 6

How in the world would they allow that to stay yet return the other roof add-on?  If they do, then they need to go back and allow the other person to add their roof add on. I do love the bowling alley but it's so way out of theme I can't see how they would allow it.  Even though you don't charge to use it, it is still a business smack dab in the middle of a residential community.  Maybe if they allowed certain businesses in more remote areas but if I lived next to this I wouldn't be happy.  

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Nika Talaj said:

I bet they'll let it stay.  The sign is a bit much, but at least it doesn't have rotating lights, lol.  They've been very tolerant of "novelty" builds in the past, letting them stretch themes, so long as they're fun and not disruptive or obscene.  SL bowling is fun.  Nika still has bowling shoes from the alley in Lionheart Estate.

Wasn't that wonderful pink "Honeymoon Hotel" camper yours?  I don't know if any of these still exist, but there also was:

• The "toxic waste cleanup" build in Permaglow
  • The trashy camper build with the chain-link fence and used cars, people loved that
  • A Victorian funeral parlor
  • Faux shops, pubs, cafes (heck, the Lindens even have a bicycle cafe)
  • Embassies/info centers ALL OVER
  • A faux Victorian Bordello
  • Slenderman's funeral parlor log home

The camper is long gone... but I feel something has changed in the way they are approaching "in-theme" decisions... The 2 photos I saw of Newbrooke rooftop addons were very tasteful, very much in theme and yet totally rejected.   Something has changed.  And maybe they grandfather in all those older themes with add-ons.  But right now I'm feeling as though creativity is going to get crushed on this theme for whatever reason.

It's a shame, for all the things of this new theme that are unappealing the one very appealing thing about it was the simplicity of building with this theme and the lot space provided with the smaller home choices on the 1024 lots.  Most of the time I spend all my time outdoors at linden homes.  With this build its the first time I actually like what I did inside so much I'll spend more time inside this house than out. 

So I'll enjoy it for the few days I get to.  But I think if this gets returned I'm just going to do as I already mentioned in previous posts.  I'll be gradually pulling down multiple accounts from premium to free.  All in all it will cut out over half of what I was paying LL.  I'm truly sad for the few residents who already had their roofs sent back, they were amazing and tasteful and as you pointed out with your list there is already a plethora of far more extreme examples of things that were tolerated/allowed.  So this feels like a new draconian move to make everyone conform.

• Like 2
  • Sad 2

1 minute ago, Sam1 Bellisserian said:

Even though you don't charge to use it, it is still a business smack dab in the middle of a residential community.  Maybe if they allowed certain businesses in more remote areas but if I lived next to this I wouldn't be happy. 

It is no different than the other pretend shops, cafes and other gathering areas that people have created scattered around Bellisseria (other than the roof line that LL might still have an issue with).

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, LittleMe Jewell said:

It is no different than the other pretend shops, cafes and other gathering areas that people have created scattered around Bellisseria (other than the roof line that LL might still have an issue with).

Well that's on them then and not really fair to allow it in other areas of Bellisseria and not the new theme.  I can't imagine that throwing up a deck and having gaudy stuff up there would be ok but a tastefully done roof isn't.  I think the mistake was allowing these types of structures in the first place but since they did It's not fair to say it's not allowed.  I still wouldn't want to live next to it though.

5 minutes ago, Evangeline Ling said:

Great so one person posts a photo of my home... innocently enough to actually complement it... and now I'm on for the alt army dragging.

Think I'm gonna go log off and go eat some milk and cookies

So two people oppose the idea and you get all bent out of shape?  I actually said that if it's allowed in other areas that it should be allowed, however I find it very gaudy and just that I would not want to live next to it.  

Threatening to take your money and cancel your premium membership isn't going to get you anywhere. 

• Like 2

I think this subject is getting hard on people and we have to be careful about witch hunts now. It was no good to see a perfect roof being returned when so many real crap buildings out of theme are all around Belli.

I like to think it soon will be all clarify. Belli is plenty of fake business and clubs and headquarters... plenty! And very modified houses. The governors already have lots of work to attend ARs on real issue things, theres lots of halloween/xmas decor outside till now, so I doubt they will come after every single modified building just for kicks, unless they are out of rules as outside parcel or outside high limits, alpha fences, things we already know are not allowed by covenant. Im sure the roof thing will be re-thinking. I myself have good ideas for mine! lol

So let the hairdressers, candy stores, bars, cafes, bowlings or whatever in peace, shall we?! :)

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, yestothis said:

Threatening to downgrade IF something is returned is childish.  Whether you spend money on one account or ten, the rules apply to all. No one here is special. 

I think you didnt understand her joke (I did and laugh) or you did... and its ok. :)

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

3 hours ago, Indy Melody said:

I was touring the Newbrooke region today trying to decide if I wanted to get a home there or not. I must say I found this one totally amazing build that really impressed me.

Beautiful Dreamer Bowling 1_001.png

I think this is a tricky subject for LL and residents.

Personally I wouldn't be offended by this. The main building theme is still retained - it just the sign that stands out, but I don't mind it compared to other things I've seen that look really out of place. I think it's fun and think it would be a shame to see this type of community minded spirited squashed in Bellisseria. I really appreciate all the little faux business places that residents create free of charge for other residents to enjoy. I'd love to do the same if I had the money for extra premiums. It's lovely to have some spaces like that and adds to a community feeling.

One alternative solution regarding faux businesses - it's been expressed a few times that residents do like them if tastefully done, adding to the community feel. So @Patch Linden why not have a few homes dotted here and there which residents can pay a tiny bit extra for to create a non-commercial community spot, cafe, post office, whatever. I'm not sure if LL could do that logistically. Maybe keep the land as Linden owned and have a rental box on it and set the criteria for what the user can and can't do, and then they can check the build is  meeting their criteria for theme. That would be much easier to police since they'll know which homes they are. The rent would have to be minimal though otherwise people wouldn't do it.

On the other hand I do get that for some it's not their thing. You can't please everyone. And  of course LL want to maintain the appearance of the themes, rightly so.  They need to draw some lines somewhere otherwise it'll end up looking like the mainland (awful in some places). And they've always said these are supposed to be starter homes (I think they need to give up on that idea now...), so from their point of view if you want to do something different, that's not in theme there's the mainland for it.

As for the roof situation - I can see it coming that there will be some unslightly stuff being put ontop of the Newbrooke homes. It's a prime theme to do that. I thought that roof add on was done very nicely (although not my personal taste) so I was really surprised to hear they were returned by LL as they didn't seem that out of theme. Considering also, as others have said, some of the stuff that's been done elsewhere in Belli that definately haven't been in theme and look really out of place. 

Perhaps they are being extra strict with the Newbrooke's because the roofs are more likely to be built on than any other theme.

My sense of it is that residents shouldn't push too far in terms of add-ons as it could eventually result in a blanket ban on any of them for everyone. LL doesn't have the manpower to police every single home, so if it gets out of hand the only solution will be to ban everything. Children...you have been warned lol.

Edited by Evangeline Arcadia
  • Like 2

I mentioned my issue with the roof to inform people so they didn't waste money buying these add-ons (and they are already for sale) when they can't use them. Likewise, I don't want people to get into a mess making a roof add-on and then selling it to people who can't use them.

I would be lying if I said I wasn't annoyed when my roof was returned. I was actually standing on the parcel working when it was sent back and shortly after I had to re-log to reset my modem and returned to half my things gone and no message as to why (Patch said he sent one and it may have been lost in my re-log.) Ultimately, I do not get bent out of shape too much over SL things. I let most stuff roll off my back.

If LL wants to police Belliserria with an iron fist then so be it. I can choose to go elsewhere if the rules don't work for me. However, I would ask that the iron fist be consistent throughout all the themes and for explanations to be more on point then a blanketed statement like "the add-on was out of theme" or a "major change to the structure." The add-on was neither of those things. I took time googling and looking at RL mid-century modern and container homes before I made the roof. I went off a RL pic. I also didn't care for the comment that Moles have to assume people are not reading the covenant. The covenant just asks that things remain in theme, and once again, I can argue the roof structure is 100% within theme. Now with all that said, I don't want to sound like I am pounding my fist on my desk and ready to rage quit Beliiserria over a mesh roof. I am still happy as a playful puppy. I am grateful for all the hard work put into Belliserria and think it's one of the best things LL gave premium members.

Lastly, I suggest telling people that allowing a roof add-on of my type opens up things to interpretation and we will soon have traditional roof pitches on modern homes and I 100% agree those roof types are out of theme. It's probably easier from a policing standpoint to not allow them altogether. If that is what they are trying to avoid then say that, instead of making me feel I did something bad.

Goes back to decorating my pretties.

Edited by Mercedes Avon
Typo Queen
  • Like 15

3 hours ago, Evangeline Ling said:

Yeah that one is mine and right now I'm waiting to see if it gets blasted by the latest round of the Linden Borg Collective punishing anything creative.  If a tiny little Roof Add-on got sent back I'm sure my Bowling Alley doesnt have a chance.  

I think you will be fine because it is niche, it provides a function to the community.  Also, it looks lovely and it is not at all unsightly, I think fits in with the theme.  The majority are not going to see it, and use it as the basis for their own creativity.  Now take a roof that has a slight modification that creates a pitched roof, that is going to be seen as desirable and useful to many people, it will start a trend that several others will follow, and the angle of the pitch will slowly rise as it is repeated until the homes no longer resemble modern houses at all,  and when the moles try to set a rules against having homes that don't look modern, people will try to use previous houses that were deemed acceptable.  

I think the moles and lindens are more concerned with maintaining a modern look to the neighborhood and you do not present a threat to it.  I would not be worried about it, because previously people have converted their homes into businesses without drastically changing the look and theme of their neighborhoods.  

Edited by Istelathis
  • Like 3

This thread is very interesting as I have something at my public house which might be considered out of theme and this thread has made me think about it more, I may have made a mistake with it ?. The light particles do not go beyond the parcel but I'm thinking I might remove it now. I have a skybox above with dancefloor etc anyway. (This is on a trad so sorry for off topic)

Snapshot_007.png

Snapshot_008.png

• Like 1

I wouldn't have a clue what was in or out of theme in Newbrooke, as I am unfamiliar with container homes. I'm not sure if any non forumites would know what these houses are supposed to be either.
This is different to liking, or not liking, the style. I actually do like them.
Therefore working out which addons may, or may not be acceptable might be a challenge, even for those residents who would like to stay within the rules.
I doubt the current level of enforcement will continue, so waiting a few months will solve most problems.
Playing 'guess what Patch is thinking' is always a losing game for me so I've given up the attempt.

Edited by Raspberry Crystal
  • Like 4

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 820 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.