Article about SL fashion week with no mention of SL

Cynical Cloud

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 859 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

as far as i can tell, it's all about MONETIZING the metaverse. never heard of any of the corporate players. V-Gather, Queendom, decentraland, Boson Protocol, ...

good article here: https://fashionunited.uk/news/fashion/digital-fashion-week-new-york-concludes/2022021461323

nice to see Blueberry helping out. should be an interesting event inworld.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

We are all friends now, eh?

A metaverse.

All in the market together, all differences forgotten, and no need at all to mention Second Life.

Sorry, sorry, sorry, what was it again?

A metaverse.

Metaverse, that was it. When you said metaverse, I thought you said Second Life.

Oh, Second Life, oh, yes, completely slipped my mind, yes, I'd forgotten all about it. Philip, Lindens and all that lot, yes, completely forgotten it, just like that.

• Like 6

Not one pic from the amaaaaaazing new age Trend setting contenders?
Says all you need to know about these CHARLATANS and their metaverse really. ^^

"well we tried but dayummm this $hit$ really hard to do"
"Lag and networks and.... servers and.. avatars and..."
Multiple Metaversian failures nodding in agreement...
"Like you know... nothing like this has ever been done before...."
Metaversians: Yeah! mhmmm! Too right! Omg we're such pioneers!
Backslaps and hugs all round Dahhhling. xxxxxx

Edited by Maryanne Solo
  • Haha 1

9 hours ago, Cynical Cloud said:

Thought it was quite interesting that this article about the Jonathan Simkhai event in Sl has absolutely no mention of sl, instead they just refer to it as the Metaverse, did they thing SL wasn't good enough to mention or something?

https://www.glamourmagazine.co.uk/article/metaverse-at-fashion-week

His legs are too tall compared to the rest of the body... Amateurs..

5zJTmfb.png

Edited by Nick0678
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 8

5 hours ago, Charlotte Bartlett said:

The main article is in business vogue and very much mentions SL.  It’s great to see such positive coverage and Blueberry did an amazing job.

mayhaps you could provide us a glimpse behind the vogue business paywall article where they mention the unmentionable SL?

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Lindal Kidd said:

Everyone's legs are too long in proportion to the body. That's the required Fashion Model look, you see.

I cannot criticize the ladies in the photo, you know i am a gentleman.. (*must change to my female account to do that).

• Haha 1

9 hours ago, Nick0678 said:

His legs are too tall compared to the rest of the body... Amateurs..

5zJTmfb.png

To seasoned SL users, those avatars look a little weird .. slightly off, nothing major.

To people outside of SL, those avatars are disturbingly freakish, alarm bells are going off in their heads over every little detail starting with the rubber shoulders ..

This is not how we get people interested in SL !!

• Like 1

Virtual real estate speculators are grabbing SL land like there's no tomorrow at the mo, with all this sudden hype over the metaverse. Something SL bottled, packaged, and offered to the real world some 18 years ago now. It would seem SL is not only going on strong, its going on stronger than ever. I do urge the lab to update the 386's though, given the recent surge in interest.

Edited by rasterscan
  • Like 1

Inara Pey gives a really good rundown of this.

https://modemworld.me/2022/02/16/in-vogue-elsewhere-second-life-and-designer-fashion/

It's great to see Blueberry involved in this; she's a terrifically good creator.

I only wish (*hint hint*) that her own offerings were a bit more exciting, and a bit more edgy, as some of the pieces she recreated for this show were.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

So can someone explain the difference between NFTs and how things are typically sold in SL (as in NM-C-NT)?    I really like the short coat outfit but really don't understand  the NFT thing.  

Thanks. 

Adding:  I wonder if there will be demos? And how many mesh body versions there will be.  Guessing not tons but I haven't been to Blueberry lately.   

Edited by Chic Aeon
adding info
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Chic Aeon said:

So can someone explain the difference between NFTs and how things are typically sold in SL (as in NM-C-NT)?    I really like the short coat outfit but really don't understand  the NFT thing. 

NFTs are stored on a blockchain, they typically contain a link which will bring you to a piece of art on another server.  They do not often contain the artwork, or whatever other data within them.  What people are usually buying, is simply a link, not the art piece which is stored on a server.  SL could make NFTs but it would be kind of pointless, you could forever own a link to an item on their asset server but that is about all, you couldn't take that asset for example out of second life and use it in opensim, or download it to make modifications to. The asset stored on their servers would still belong to them (I think that is how it works with assets, I'm not sure of the legalities)

Edit:
All of the permissions would still be reliant upon how LL wanted to implement them, the only difference that I can think of is now you own an NFT on your SL account, it would probably seem the same on your end and you would see an item in your inventory that you can spawn into the world. It would probably use the same permission settings, but once you sold the NFT I imagine all objects related to it in your inventory or spawned in the world would vanish.  

Edited by Istelathis
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

57 minutes ago, Istelathis said:

but once you sold the NFT I imagine all objects related to it in your inventory or spawned in the world would vanish.  

I've mentioned before that someone could implement this in LSL. The object would check on rez, or once a day or so, to see if the blockchain ownership info matched the in-world info. If not, you'd get a warning, and it would return to inventory or be deleted. Then you could have something like an inter-grid version of CasperVend that would allow you to get redelivery of your objects on OpenSimulator, and mailboxes where you could send your objects to other grids. Then you could move unique objects between grids.

I don't see much of a use case for this, but if someone really wanted NFTs in Second Life, they could implement that without LL help.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

42 minutes ago, animats said:

I don't see much of a use case for this, but if someone really wanted NFTs in Second Life, they could implement that without LL help.

I think it has potential, but I do have one concern, in opensim I have the ability to disable scripts from my region settings in the viewer, and am not sure if it is the same for owners of regions for SL.  If one were to spawn a copy of that object and have the scripts disabled, would they be able to delete the NFT script from the object? 

Edited by Istelathis

It is really not looking good in the video. 😟 The way the models float over the floor. But the designer don't? Did they only shoot it once, no one asked the models to adjust their hoover height, take off shoe bases or whatever. And in motion, we see how the mesh is not falling naturally around the legs. The black dress in particular, it is the second one when they start walking.

The long legs does not bother me so much as the tiny heads.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, animats said:

I don't see much of a use case for this

This is what I'm not getting.

Is the point to enable transfers of assets across grids? I.e., you can wear something from one grid in another, but with the proviso that it "disappears" from the first grid?

Or is this to enable NFT-based commerce within SL? So that items that, for instance, no transfer can be "sold" to someone else within the platform?

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 859 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.