Article about SL fashion week with no mention of SL

Cynical Cloud

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 786 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

39 minutes ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

Is the point to enable transfers of assets across grids? I.e., you can wear something from one grid in another, but with the proviso that it "disappears" from the first grid?

That's the only real justification for going through all the headaches of using a blockchain. While you could do this for SL only, it's pointless, except that you get to shout "NFT" a lot and maybe charge way too much for stuff.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

14 hours ago, Coffee Pancake said:

To seasoned SL users, those avatars look a little weird .. slightly off, nothing major.

To people outside of SL, those avatars are disturbingly freakish, alarm bells are going off in their heads over every little detail starting with the rubber shoulders ..

This is not how we get people interested in SL !!

These shapes are slightly off indeed, but nothing compared to what is fashion in SL these days.
I only say Kupra as an example.
Nuff said.

• Like 3
  • Haha 3

Being a longtime Blueberry devotee and having amassed a considerable wardrobe of same,
Blue is now incredibly well positioned to pick and choose how to influence/be a major player in
virtual fashion via/for the metaverse.
Consequently, in group chat we, the users/blueberry devotees, concluded that this metaverse hookup
makes us little old "berries" ❤️ some of the original pioneers in the digital fashion metaverse. 
This also places SL exactly where it should be, as THE original & leading "verse" - no matter how you want to describe them.
A few unresolved things atmo such as NFT use, not a well rehearsed or precisely honed presentation... but....

This would appear to be the beginning of the second coming of second life and shrugging off the old "weirdo world" tag.
Congratulations to us all. \0/

Edited by Maryanne Solo
  • Like 3
  • Haha 1

Are they really shrugging of that weirdo world label when they revisit SL to look for fashion and they see all these today modern and totally to the max exaggerated SL bodies?
They have much more detail these days, but the 2007 SL residents with a human avatar were far better proportioned IMHO as a lot of those currently.

Of course everybody has the right to build their avatar as they like. But I'm pretty sure almost everyone who re-enters or first joins SL will think WTF when they encounter the trending avatar style and will most likely think "eyesore" and "weird" and not "wow beautiful".

Just my 2 cents of course and mileages may vary.

Edited by Sid Nagy
  • Like 3

5 minutes ago, Sid Nagy said:

Are they really shrugging of that weirdo world label when they revisit SL to look for fashion and they see all these today modern and totally to the max exaggerated SL bodies?
They have much more detail these days, but the 2007 SL residents with a human avatar were far better proportioned IMHO as a lot of those currently.

I too am at a loss to comprehend some of the latest body trends. 🤔 

3 hours ago, Sid Nagy said:

These shapes are slightly off indeed, but nothing compared to what is fashion in SL these days.
I only say Kupra as an example.
Nuff said.

A fashion show that truly reflected SL fashion, would burn the retinas of those watching it. 😱

Yes, this video is unrealistic, but not super unrealistic compared to RL fashion. The RL runway models have to be 1.90 m at least? With much longer legs than average, and the heads looking smaller. A few cm up on the heads and down on the legs, and it would be "almost like" RL. If that's the intention. But unless the man should be 2.30 m, he is way too high. In all the fashion shows I have seen , the male designer is shorter than his models, the same size or a tiny bit taller.

The good thing is they will imitate RL, is that the models have small breasts. But it is "in" now to have a few models having almost normal weight - that is what runway fashion call plus size. Maybe I should apply as model? Lol, I do not want a head 35 in size.

But the floating over the floor was not good. Why did no one see that when they shot the runway walk? Maybe the runway should have been good old prims.

I tried to link the video but could not? It is at the bottom of the link to Inara Pey. https://modemworld.me/2022/02/16/in-vogue-elsewhere-second-life-and-designer-fashion/

8 minutes ago, Sid Nagy said:

No, really? I remember 2007 different. I seem to remember it was prim breasts for those into milk play.

For the man, the fashion designer in the video would look very real if his legs were shorter, and his models at least to his chin in high heels.

Edited by Marianne Little
tried to write better
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

and in that article, Inara states that there were guests inworld who previewed the collection Blueberry made. "The items were presented to an invited audience of models, influencers, celebrities, and journalists from the fashion, technology and lifestyle industries. "

so where were/are all the articles from the selected few extolling the virtues of SL fashion? i saw nothing from any SL fashionistas or bloggers. does anyone have the guest list? who's the coordinator in the Lab? why no hype, or even a hint this was going to be taking place? i can just imagine how overwhelmed real world newbs would be were they thrown into an inworld event without any hand holding.

i don't think the Lab has the personel for this sort of liason. they SHOULD. our 3D fashion designers are world class. from what i've seen in the brief time i've researched it,  the rl fashion industry isn't really interested in realizing their designs if they're attracted to platforms like the low rez decentraland. that's gotta be just plain embarrassing for any real arteests.

of course, the industry is corporately run and the circus barkers want exorbitantly priced blockchain NFTs to fool the masses. has anyone of the movers and shakers ever thought of how all these competing platforms are going to be sharing assets?

nft.PNG

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Marianne Little said:

But the floating over the floor was not good. Why did no one see that when they shot the runway walk? Maybe the runway should have been good old prims.

From what I can tell, this was an issue where the models should have had their hover height adjusted in rehearsals prior to proceeding down the runway, rather than a build issue.  Judging from the walks and the precision of the patterns, it seems to me they were on a "mover" system similar to those used at weddings or for choreographies or something along those lines (like the Spot On systems), and it would have been easy to just adjust the hover slider to give more of an appearance of actually walking on the runway rather than floating above it.

It's something that could have been solved quite easily with a bit of attention to detail; I'm surprised it wasn't addressed, to be honest.

Edited by Ajay McDowwll
  • Like 3

20 hours ago, Coffee Pancake said:

To people outside of SL, those avatars are disturbingly freakish, alarm bells are going off in their heads over every little detail starting with the rubber shoulders ..

This is not how we get people interested in SL !!

Ahh yes those rubber shoulders are nasty.. let me fix them. Perfect!

(* if someone tells me they don't like SL's rubber avatar shoulders i 'll just buy them a beer in RL and laugh together about it. People are real, SL is just software, no reason to stress over it.)
Screenshot_2022-02-17_15-52-14.png.73c688af843581eab939c50d5afe4f26.png

Edited by Nick0678
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, Nick0678 said:

Ahh yes those rubber shoulders are nasty.. let me fix them. Perfect!

(* if someone tells me they don't like SL's rubber avatar shoulders i 'll just buy them a beer in RL and laugh together about it. People are real, SL is just software, no reason to stress over it.)
Screenshot_2022-02-17_15-52-14.png.73c688af843581eab939c50d5afe4f26.png

Yup... 

That is why I end up thickening the standard shapes a little all around, and shortening them to about 5 1/2 feet LOL ... less rubber, extra B*LLS. IJS! (But everyone has their preference so I won't say any other shape is worthless. :) )

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, JeromFranzic said:

Yup... 

That is why I end up thickening the standard shapes a little all around, and shortening them to about 5 1/2 feet LOL ... less rubber, extra B*LLS. IJS! (But everyone has their preference so I won't say any other shape is worthless. :) )

Hah!

Snapshot_002.thumb.png.3823ad0d7deab28acaf5ca3121d3d14a.png

• Haha 2

4 hours ago, EnCore Mayne said:

and in that article, Inara states that there were guests inworld who previewed the collection Blueberry made. "The items were presented to an invited audience of models, influencers, celebrities, and journalists from the fashion, technology and lifestyle industries. "

so where were/are all the articles from the selected few extolling the virtues of SL fashion? i saw nothing from any SL fashionistas or bloggers. does anyone have the guest list? who's the coordinator in the Lab? why no hype, or even a hint this was going to be taking place? i can just imagine how overwhelmed real world newbs would be were they thrown into an inworld event without any hand holding.

i don't think the Lab has the personel for this sort of liason. they SHOULD. our 3D fashion designers are world class. from what i've seen in the brief time i've researched it,  the rl fashion industry isn't really interested in realizing their designs if they're attracted to platforms like the low rez decentraland. that's gotta be just plain embarrassing for any real arteests.

of course, the industry is corporately run and the circus barkers want exorbitantly priced blockchain NFTs to fool the masses. has anyone of the movers and shakers ever thought of how all these competing platforms are going to be sharing assets?

nft.PNG

Yes, agreed that LL seems to have dropped the ball on this one. I don't know why they haven't made more of it: it's potentially huge.

• Like 2

On 2/15/2022 at 7:10 PM, Sukubia Scarmon said:

I have no clue about fashion, but the thing I noticed first at glancing over the article, was how the designer is pretty much towering over the models. Seems like that isn't an SL only thing, heh.

Lmfao I noticed the same thing right away. Daddy dom long legs over here, we love to see it.

5 hours ago, Maryanne Solo said:

Being a longtime Blueberry devotee and having amassed a considerable wardrobe of same,
Blue is now incredibly well positioned to pick and choose how to influence/be a major player in
virtual fashion via/for the metaverse.
Consequently, in group chat we, the users/blueberry devotees, concluded that this metaverse hookup
makes us little old "berries" ❤️ some of the original pioneers in the digital fashion metaverse. 
This also places SL exactly where it should be, as THE original & leading "verse" - no matter how you want to describe them.
A few unresolved things atmo such as NFT use, not a well rehearsed or precisely honed presentation... but....

This would appear to be the beginning of the second coming of second life and shrugging off the old "weirdo world" tag.
Congratulations to us all. \0/

Blueberry is, of course, a terrific success story. Like most women in SL, I have a fair number of garments made by Blueberry -- they are beautifully  made --but to be honest it's not really my look, and I'm rarely "excited" by their new offerings. But that's a question of personal taste.

From the perspective of the fashion industry, though, I wonder if they are the best representative that SL can offer. I suppose it depends on what kind of fashion we are talking about: Blueberry is more "fashion for the masses" a la Dolce & Gabbana, rather than Rick Owens or more "avante garde" couturiers. And that's fine, I guess, although I tend to think of Blueberry's characteristic look as most often sort of sexed-up soccer mum rather than aesthetically interesting or daring. (I say this with some hesitation, because I have some respect for soccer mums!)

We do have some in-world designers who are producing some credible high-end fashion -- Zibska, David Heather, and Rowne come to mind immediately, although there are others as well. I didn't, to be honest, see much in this show that interested me much -- I'd have been more excited, I think, by some more daring aesthetic choices.

I wonder if maybe this isn't something SL should be focusing a bit on -- perhaps in collaboration with a collective of in-world designers.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Sid Nagy said:

I don't think I quite agree. It's true that there are more extreme body types in SL now -- Kupra being the salient example -- but on the whole, I think most women's bodies now are more "realistic" than they were back in the day, when it was pretty much impossible to size your boobs lower than a C or D cup, and everyone had an impossibly waifish waist.

Interesting question -- we can all agree, I think, that people should have complete freedom to shape their avatars as they wish in-world, whatever our personal aesthetic or taste.

But if and/or when virtual fashion becomes a vehicle for showcasing and selling real world fashion, it seems to me that we'll need to start analyzing body shapes in the way, and for the same reasons, that we now sometimes critique RL runway fashion: in terms of body image, cultural expectations about how women should look, and the accessibility of fashion for those with bodies that don't fit into the norms for fashion models.

• Like 5

2 minutes ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

Blueberry is, of course, a terrific success story. Like most women in SL, I have a fair number of garments made by Blueberry -- they are beautifully  made --but to be honest it's not really my look, and I'm rarely "excited" by their new offerings. But that's a question of personal taste.

From the perspective of the fashion industry, though, I wonder if they are the best representative that SL can offer. I suppose it depends on what kind of fashion we are talking about: Blueberry is more "fashion for the masses" a la Dolce & Gabbana, rather than Rick Owens or more "avante garde" couturiers. And that's fine, I guess, although I tend to think of Blueberry's characteristic look as most often sort of sexed-up soccer mum rather than aesthetically interesting or daring. (I say this with some hesitation, because I have some respect for soccer mums!)

We do have some in-world designers who are producing some credible high-end fashion -- Zibska, David Heather, and Rowne come to mind immediately, although there are others as well. I didn't, to be honest, see much in this show that interested me much -- I'd have been more excited, I think, by some more daring aesthetic choices.

I wonder if maybe this isn't something SL should be focusing a bit on -- perhaps in collaboration with a collective of in-world designers.

I'm fascinated by SL fashion. Something happens here (for me) that doesn't happen in RL. Blueberry has a "look" that's not entirely the result of the designer's fashion sense, but also the result of the tools, processes and low level aesthetic choices used to design the shapes and textures. If Blueberry, Just Because, and Erratic all took a swing at the same design, I think I'd know the difference.

This doesn't happen as apparently in RL, where things like lighting, draping, creasing, and wrinkling are products of physics, not design.

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, Madelaine McMasters said:

I'm fascinated by SL fashion. Something happens here (for me) that doesn't happen in RL. Blueberry has a "look" that's not entirely the result of the designer's fashion sense, but also the result of the tools, processes and low level aesthetic choices used to design the shapes and textures. If Blueberry, Just Because, and Erratic all took a swing at the same design, I think I'd know the difference.

This doesn't happen as apparently in RL, where things like lighting, draping, creasing, and wrinkling are products of physics, not design.

Excellent point. One of the things that makes Zibska interesting is that "RL physics" are frequently barely consulted in the design of things like hats and add-ons. Some of this stuff would be literally impossible in RL. And I find that cool and exciting.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

Blueberry is more "fashion for the masses" a la Dolce & Gabbana, rather than Rick Owens or more "avante garde" couturiers. And that's fine, I guess, although I tend to think of Blueberry's characteristic look as most often sort of sexed-up soccer mum rather than aesthetically interesting or daring. (I say this with some hesitation, because I have some respect for soccer mums!)

AHHHH, never would've guessed I'd find another fan (I'm assuming?) of Rick Owens here. ❤️ Wheeee! Oh, speaking of real world fashion designers - I'd absolutely dieeee for some Alexander McQueen and Gareth Pugh-inspired designs in SL. If I had the patience to learn 3D modeling to the level it'd require to pull it off, that's exactly what I'd be working on right now.

14 minutes ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

100% agree. I took a look and it's definitely not my style either. One thing I will say - Blueberry produces some items that layer fantastically with some of my more unique clothing designs. There's a pair of jeans/leather pants that fit seamlessly under my platform thigh boots, for example. That's HARD to find anywhere else, to be honest. For that reason, Blueberry definitely does see some love from me on occasion. I've had good success with mix and match.

Just to add to your list (and to give some hope to the guys who might be reading) - I'd put Madame Noir (hats/glasses), Gild, OVH, and Boys to the Bone in that same category alongside the fantastic stores you mentioned. There's also Elegance Boutique, irrISIStible Shop, Technofolk, and Azoury (shoes/accessories) for daring/different/creative-wear for us ladies.

I do hope more shows happen and more designers get to showcase their work in the future!

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Ayashe Ninetails said:

AHHHH, never would've guessed I'd find another fan (I'm assuming?) of Rick Owens here. ❤️ Wheeee! Oh, speaking of real world fashion designers - I'd absolutely dieeee for some Alexander McQueen and Gareth Pugh-inspired designs in SL.

Girl, we need to talk.

6 minutes ago, Ayashe Ninetails said:

Just to add to your list (and to give some hope to the guys who might be reading) - I'd put Madame Noir (hats/glasses), Gild, OVH, and Boys to the Bone in that same category alongside the fantastic stores you mentioned. There's also Elegance Boutique, irrISIStible Shop, Technofolk, and Azoury (shoes/accessories) for daring/different/creative-wear for us ladies.

This is really useful! A few of these I've never heard of, so thanks!

WOOT! SHOPPING!

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

Girl, we need to talk.

Yes, we do!!!

happy-excited.gif

4 minutes ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

WOOT! SHOPPING!

Go visit all of them immediately! For Azoury, check the marketplace first. A lot of the older shoes aren't in-store anymore. And there are a LOT. Here's the linkie - Boop.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:
1 hour ago, Ayashe Ninetails said:

AHHHH, never would've guessed I'd find another fan (I'm assuming?) of Rick Owens here. ❤️ Wheeee! Oh, speaking of real world fashion designers - I'd absolutely dieeee for some Alexander McQueen and Gareth Pugh-inspired designs in SL.

Girl, we need to talk.

1 hour ago, Ayashe Ninetails said:

WOOT! SHOPPING!

...sets you both on fire.

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

Yes, agreed that LL seems to have dropped the ball on this one. I don't know why they haven't made more of it: it's potentially huge.

i see the Lab as more of a tech company. marketing its product has never been a concern. ("build it and they will come.")

their stand off approach to directing anything its residents may take an interest in really leaves it up to the residents' initiatives. aside from supplying the islands, or whatever other considerations that may have been arranged with the Lab, i'm thinking it's pretty much all Mishi (Blueberry). hell, i can't even find the event on the lab's destinations page. aside from the direct link to the event given out on the announcement, it just can't be found in any category. it's not like they can't push it, it's just no one told them exactly how and what to do to promote it.

if i'm right about this entire thing being Mishi's baby, we shall see just how accomplished her businesss acumen's become when the doors are open to the regular SL public. i'm really looking forward to the eventual (inevitable?) merging of real world fashion to sl.

• Like 2

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 786 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.