Human Proportioning Tool

Anna Nova

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 796 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I am pretty sure that I went to an island in SL somewhere, and there was a complete set of Human Proportioning tools rezzed there.  But attempts to find it in my inventory, or by searching, both here and in-world have failed.

Does anyone remember such a thing, or do I put it down to dementia?  (I''m 27...)  I know there are tools in MP, but that's not what I am trying to find.

4 minutes ago, Anna Nova said:

I am pretty sure that I went to an island in SL somewhere, and there was a complete set of Human Proportioning tools rezzed there.  But attempts to find it in my inventory, or by searching, both here and in-world have failed.

Does anyone remember such a thing, or do I put it down to dementia?  (I''m 27...)  I know there are tools in MP, but that's not what I am trying to find.

This is the place I've gone to to check my proportions.  I think @Skell Daggerposted it here awhile back.  I've sent a few people there, too.

http://maps.secondlife.com/secondlife/NoYourOtherLeft/126/99/402

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

I have one in my MP store as well for 10L either male or female. I know that's not what you're looking for, but reach out to me in world and I'll send it to you free.

Anytime anyone wants to realistic in terms of proportions, I'm all for it!

First fix anyone can do? For a female avatar? Make sure your crotch is exactly 1/2 way up your total body height, not up where you belly button is, which is the way most female avatars look in SL.

The usual female avatar look in SL is a tiny head, unrealistically short torso and hips, and legs up to your armpits.

Edited by Katherine Heartsong
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Ajay McDowwll said:

It's an actual tool you can sit on :)  Picture below -- located at the School of Avatar Customization in Caledon:  http://maps.secondlife.com/secondlife/Caledon Oxbridge/209/141/27

Iona Proportion_001.png

Loved this tool. It is great that it automatically adjusts to your avatar, for ease of use and checking your body proportions. Thanks for sharing!

I found out that the trapezius on my avatar is too tall, which pushes my neck and head higher than "ideal", but unfortunately it does not look like any of the appearance shape sliders allow adjustment of that body part.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Katherine Heartsong said:

I have one in my MP store as well for 10L either male or female. I know that's not what you're looking for, but reach out to me in world and I'll send it to you free.

Anytime anyone wants to realistic in terms of proportions, I'm all for it!

First fix anyone can do? For a female avatar? Make sure your crotch is exactly 1/2 way up your total body height, not up where you belly button is, which is the way most female avatars look in SL.

The usual female avatar look in SL is a tiny head, unrealistically short torso and hips, and legs up to your armpits.

And really short arms...sort of a Tyrannosaurus Sex

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

20 minutes ago, Rowan Amore said:

Just had to go check myself.  My av is 6'1" so only slightly less than the example but I seem to be in fairly good proportion.  This place also gives a notecard explaining body proportions.

https://gyazo.com/97fa9f8420f7ed15781504e114328bda

I went there earlier...with my avi at 5'5" it didn't really line up with the picture of "small", but I did take notes and only need to do a little adjustment

7 minutes ago, Charalyne Blackwood said:

I went there earlier...with my avi at 5'5" it didn't really line up with the picture of "small", but I did take notes and only need to do a little adjustment

As long as you're relatively close, I'm sure it's fine.  Some people have longer torsos or shorter legs.  A friend of mine is 6 foot tall in real life but her legs are a lot shorter than mine and I'm 5'9".  She has a way longer torso than I have.  People are different.  

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Echelon Alcott said:

I found out that the trapezius on my avatar is too tall, which pushes my neck and head higher than "ideal", but unfortunately it does not look like any of the appearance shape sliders allow adjustment of that body part.

Yeah, sometimes the way the bodies are rigged makes it impossible to get perfectly proportional.  I think that alt's arms are pretty much maxed out, and still slightly short according to the picture?  But as long as we're not wandering around as tiny-headed giraffe-necked T-rexes, I think we're all doing well :D

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

4 hours ago, Ajay McDowwll said:

It's an actual tool you can sit on :)  Picture below -- located at the School of Avatar Customization in Caledon:  http://maps.secondlife.com/secondlife/Caledon Oxbridge/209/141/27

Iona Proportion_001.png

Wow. I had no idea this was a thing.

I made my own simple "tools" for this a long time ago (coloured, semi-transparent and phantom prims), but this looks really great! Thanks for posting!

• Like 1

I ran into the problem of getting proportions right. I built my own adjustable one and put it in the marketplace.

MyChartDrw.jpg?1337018184

Later I made one for faces. I found that camera settings made getting correct facial proportions way more difficult. So it got rather complicated.

Making these for personal use is easy. Grab an image like Leonardo's or the above and stick it on a prim cube. Size the cube and set it to phantom and you are good to go.

In some cases it is easier to WEAR the cube. But I generally rez it and then walk into it.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

I made my own simple "tools" for this a long time ago (coloured, semi-transparent and phantom prims), but this looks really great! Thanks for posting!

Sure!

My favorite proportion tool is the Nanogunk proportion tool available on Marketplace.  Every single one of my avatars has it, because I never know when I may want to tweak something...

... it's possible I get a little OCD about this stuff lol

• Like 4

30 minutes ago, Ajay McDowwll said:

Sure!

My favorite proportion tool is the Nanogunk proportion tool available on Marketplace.  Every single one of my avatars has it, because I never know when I may want to tweak something...

... it's possible I get a little OCD about this stuff lol

CDO...OCD is NOT in alphabetical order! OMG I need therapy or something...🤣

• Haha 8

7 hours ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

You, me and many, many other people judging of the body proportions I tend to see around :D

16 hours ago, Rowan Amore said:

This is the place I've gone to to check my proportions.  I think @Skell Daggerposted it here awhile back.  I've sent a few people there, too.

http://maps.secondlife.com/secondlife/NoYourOtherLeft/126/99/402

This is the one I remembered.  It's not for me, but I am trying to make a male, and being a tiny female myself my own view of males is perspective-skewed....

I did my proportions by comparing myself with photos and scaled diagrams of real women with the appropriate proportions, as used by artists.  

One side issue of this is that when I go to venues I sometimes start questioning my proportions because so many other avatars have exaggerated shapes.  Like when most of the women around me have hips three times the width of their waists while my hips are only about 1.333 (recurring) times as wide as my waist!!  Am I the one that's out of step with the SL aesthetic?

Edited by Conifer Dada
  • Like 3
  • Haha 2

16 hours ago, Ajay McDowwll said:

My favorite proportion tool is the Nanogunk proportion tool available on Marketplace.

I've been working with the 8 heads rule-of-thumb for a long time. Search for "shape tools" in the marketplace, and you'll likely see a free product that comes with a few items, and that's been my main guide for a while now. The Nanogunk product caught my eye yesterday. There's no demo, and I don't like buying things untested. I went ahead and bought it. It's great! Not only does it help with the height proportions, but the shoulder and hip width guides are also good.

1 hour ago, Conifer Dada said:

Am I the one that's out of step with the SL aesthetic?

But what if the aesthetic is based on a perspective that distorts one's perceptions with a wide angle camera placed above a natural viewing height and most shapes are made to compensate for that default view? I'm sure psychologists could comment on why certain body parts get enlarged on males and females as well... :)

warping-mirrors.jpg

006-SQ-Whacky_Mirror_W_Guest_Three_Mirro

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

• 3 weeks later...

There is a nice proportioning tool that was available as a freebie in the Maitreya Lara Friends support group, called the Baskerville Proportioning Tool. I didn't see it, looking in the group notices just now, but if you joined and asked, they would probably refresh that.

• Like 2

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 796 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.