If any designers are reading this, money awaits... (aka what's your wishlist?)

Akane Nacht

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 801 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I would like to see some more realistic mesh bodies proportioned correctly for realistic physiques and “life-sized” avatars. - Getting a mesh body to appear proportionate and realistic at the right size meant that I ended up using de-formers for skinnier arms and more shapely shoulders (I’m still trying to find a de-former for a flatter butt).

Most mesh bodies look like they’re “perfect” gym bunnies with muscular arms and bubble butts. Where’s the realistically sized and proportioned skinny guy, or even the plus-size guy body? It’s kind of boring and unrealistic when everyone looks like a 9ft tall perfect gym bunny. Remove the heads and tattoos and everyone looks the same… we need more unique and realistic bodies, and fitmesh clothes that work with all of them. Maybe some day… 

Edited by davidventer
Fixing typos
  • Like 7

Oh, and...

...use of flexiprims where it makes sense. I'm so tired of hair that looks like it's had a whole can of freeze spray applied to it.

And, while I'm dreaming...

...LL coming up with an actual cloth dynamics and collision system so we can have realistic skirt and hair movements without the shortcomings of flexiprims.

• Like 7

I wish designers wouldn't apply pitch-black ambient occlusion maps to materials that are supposed to have sub-surface scattering properties, like plastics, wax, paper, cardboard and fabrics do.

I also wish more designers would put a little bit more effort in low-LoD-versions of attached items. Because the Land Impact may be zero, but no one needs to see a dress with 60,000 triangles from 256 meters away* (and no one needs a plume of smoke to come out of their graphics cards).

* If it were just one dress, that'd be no problem, but statistically, the number of such dresses and, hence, drop in frame rate, increases proportionally with the square of draw distance.

Edited by Arduenn Schwartzman
  • Like 4

I'd like to see more dresses with physics, but we'd need to evolve the bento skeleton to at least support viewer-side rag doll physics, dynamic bones and colliders (like any Unity/Unreal based MMO).

This would also require the archaic animation protocol be updated as well.

Translation: Never gonna happen. Not with current administration, stake holders and/or investors.

It "could" happen if LL amends/abolishes section 2-k of the TPV Policy, allowing enthusiast programmers to once again offer cutting edge features without oversight from those whom have kept this platform perpetually 10 years or more behind industry standards.

Edited by Lucia Nightfire
  • Like 4

9 hours ago, Lindal Kidd said:

..LL coming up with an actual cloth dynamics and collision system so we can have realistic skirt and hair movements without the shortcomings of flexiprims.

That would make me buy half my wardrobe again. In the meantime, looks like we have a lot of ideas (within current techincal capabilities) for designers if they're willing to attempt them 😀

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Rowan Amore said:

I'd love more mid length skirts that didn't break when you walked or stood a.certain way or didn't stretch a pattern horribly.

This can be done with extra topology and graduated weighting. Creators just don't bother.

The same could also be said about mesh bodies them self with any kind of squatting or moving the legs(feet) near the head with any kind of laying, sitting, dance or yoga animation.

The inner thighs and pelvis look horrible during these animations. More topology and graduated weighting would fix this, too.

The only problem is that it would be much more difficult to rig/weight clothing without a proper dummy that has the same topology/weighting.

• Like 3

On 1/21/2022 at 5:05 PM, davidventer said:

I would like to see some more realistic mesh bodies proportioned correctly for realistic physiques and “life-sized” avatars. - Getting a mesh body to appear proportionate and realistic at the right size meant that I ended up using de-formers for skinnier arms and more shapely shoulders (I’m still trying to find a de-former for a flatter butt).

Most mesh bodies look like they’re “perfect” gym bunnies with muscular arms and bubble butts. Where’s the realistically sized and proportioned skinny guy, or even the plus-size guy body? It’s kind of boring and unrealistic when everyone looks like a 9ft tall perfect gym bunny. Remove the heads and tattoos and everyone looks the same… we need more unique and realistic bodies, and fitmesh clothes that work with all of them. Maybe some day… 

I think the forum is the only place I see question about skinnier male bodies. And it is one, Slink male, who is reasonably slim. But it is not popular and designers drop that body and do not include wear for it. It makes me believe that the minority that does not want gym addicts or steroid users is incredibly small. And I believe the creators want at least some money back, at least so they cover for uploads. Same with chubby bodies. Who will buy for it, only 1 in 10 000? Who is spending money? The answer has to be: Gym addicts. If not, would not someone take the chubby niche and earn lots? At least enough to cover uploads, rent land for a shop and maybe cash out a small amount in US once in a while.

• Like 3

13 minutes ago, Lysistrata Szapira said:

I'd specifically like to ask Jian to offer their animesh pets as avatars, preferably at a slightly lower price point than Rezz Room or Zooby. 

Check out SEMotion. I think they do avies. Im not positive though. Their prices are usually reasonable. I agree with you on Rezz Room. Pretty pricy but dam they make good stuff. I have their cerberus dog. I pondered for like a week before biting the bullet though lol. 

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, Lysistrata Szapira said:

I'd specifically like to ask Jian to offer their animesh pets as avatars, preferably at a slightly lower price point than Rezz Room or Zooby. 

You can wear a companion animal as an avatar. Just make your body invisible, attach the animal, and adjust it to your center and ground level. It will walk when you walk, run when you run, an sit or stand when you're still, but it will not have more sophisticated animations. I know this isn't what you're asking for, but it is an easy and inexpensive way of wearing an animal avatar.

11 hours ago, Marianne Little said:

I think the forum is the only place I see question about skinnier male bodies. And it is one, Slink male, who is reasonably slim. But it is not popular and designers drop that body and do not include wear for it. It makes me believe that the minority that does not want gym addicts or steroid users is incredibly small.

I wonder about this. Is it still holding true now as it did years ago (which was indeed a muscle-man and barbie era), or has it just become an assumption as one designer tried it and it wasn't popular for whatever reason, and now repeated so subsequent designers take it as unalterable fact and don't bother to try? There must be demand for alternative bodies or that Kemono thing wouldn't be popular. All the guys (and guy-looking) people I know in SL are unimpressed with muscleman bodies, they just don't have a lot of choice.  

I dunno, as I don't follow mesh body design all that closely (I just slap on Maitreya and I'm done), but has any designer tried this market again recently?

58 minutes ago, Persephone Emerald said:

You can wear a companion animal as an avatar. Just make your body invisible, attach the animal, and adjust it to your center and ground level. It will walk when you walk, run when you run, an sit or stand when you're still, but it will not have more sophisticated animations. I know this isn't what you're asking for, but it is an easy and inexpensive way of wearing an animal avatar.

now whenever I see someone with a pet I will wonder who's walking who 🤔

• Haha 2

It's not really original ethnic clothes yet I made them yesterday more like the clothes I dream to put on myself.

One can imagine simply embroidered hemmings, belts, cuffs, light summer fabrics or silk cashmere and similar for the winter and they are beautiful in total black as well as with vivid colors.

Perhaps I will return with more elaborated designs.

IMG_20220120_133747.jpg

IMG_20220120_133857.jpg

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

I like this thread. It's positive and shows a lot of areas of growth creators could be moving into. I'd love to add more ethnic and historical clothing if I can make/find it. Technical issues aside, my biggest hold up is time. But yes, I would love to add more styles of clothes for kid and teen avatars beyond just different kinds of graphic tees. Historical and ethnic attire, roleplay outfits, etc.

I also want I resonate a lot of what people were saying about male avatars as well as body positivity. I gave up making a male adult because every avatar looked like old timey strong men. Even the slim bodies were still absolutely shredded. I know that there is an overweight kid avatar available and I just love that idea. I don't think I would use it, but I would love to see more kids using it and more clothing for stuff like that (I am planning on making some clothes for it, but I'm just not there yet).

On the side of full perm items, since this is a great way to make your own clothes when you're not good at modeling, I would like to see a lot better avatar support so that it's easier to find things. If I could find more stuff that worked for kids, even if it's not a creator's main market, I'd be able to add a lot more to my store since I wouldn't have to do it myself. And I'd like more options to buy DAE files for when a model creator doesn't rig for a given size. I know of a few creators that are adding more DAE file options and some that can make them available for an extra cost, so there are already some doing it. More is better though.

I think the biggest thing I want to see, and this covers some of what I said, is more fringe stuff. Yes, there are a lot of female avatars. Yes, people like elves. All of that stuff's great and sells well, but it would be good to see other stuff too. Where are the fantasy dwarves? Where are the car avatars with wearable car accessories? Where's the weird stuff? Where's the normal stuff that's too boring to see (like overweight avatars)? Again, not always a big market, but you'd be surprised what would make someone's day.

I don't know how much I'll be able to take from this thread and run with in my store, but I am kind of excited about what people have suggested and am going to follow the thread. Also, if anyone wants to work together on anything or has ideas for kids stuff, I'd love to hear it and see if I can help.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, HarrisonMcKenzie said:

I think the biggest thing I want to see, and this covers some of what I said, is more fringe stuff. Yes, there are a lot of female avatars. Yes, people like elves. All of that stuff's great and sells well, but it would be good to see other stuff too. Where are the fantasy dwarves? Where are the car avatars with wearable car accessories? Where's the weird stuff? Where's the normal stuff that's too boring to see (like overweight avatars)? Again, not always a big market, but you'd be surprised what would make someone's day.

Omg, I love all of this. Fantasy dwarves would be amazing. Gnomes, goblins, trolls, imps - yes yes yes. Some fantasy bento heads do exist (at least for orcs and trolls, undead, aliens, etc.), but bodies and mods - not many to my knowledge. Centaurs exist yes. Satyrs yes. Harpies yes. Fairies and pixies yes. I'd love more clothing and accessories for all of that, while we're on the subject.

Oh and that car idea is hilarious! I agree - I'd love to see more unique and silly avatars like that.

I don't know how much I'll be able to take from this thread and run with in my store, but I am kind of excited about what people have suggested and am going to follow the thread. Also, if anyone wants to work together on anything or has ideas for kids stuff, I'd love to hear it and see if I can help.

Keep us posted if you do make anything mentioned in here! I'm not familiar with the kids market whatsoever and only wear adult avatars, so maybe some of this stuff already exists all over the place, but I immediately thought of super cute Halloween costumes for trick-or-treating. Fantasy jammies with hoodies, so they can have goblin ears or horns or something. Fantasy skins, clothes, and accessories for kids (I've played enough World of Warcraft to know little orc kids exist, lol). Toys that are functional and fun - trampolines, kid-sized vehicles, imaginary friends (pet followers with creative appearances and silly animations), shoulder pets, little paper airplanes that fly over your head, yoyos, wearable/playable musical instruments, etc.

Oh, one last idea - I know of a store that sells shareable cigars where multiple avatars can click the pack in your hand and get one for themselves. Fully animated. I'm sure it's extremely complicated to make something like that, but for kids, a version with bubble gum would be adorable - you can offer a piece from the pack and blow giant bubbles together.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Ayashe Ninetails said:

Keep us posted if you do make anything mentioned in here! I'm not familiar with the kids market whatsoever and only wear adult avatars, so maybe some of this stuff already exists all over the place, but I immediately thought of super cute Halloween costumes for trick-or-treating. Fantasy jammies with hoodies, so they can have goblin ears or horns or something. Fantasy skins, clothes, and accessories for kids (I've played enough World of Warcraft to know little orc kids exist, lol). Toys that are functional and fun - trampolines, kid-sized vehicles, imaginary friends (pet followers with creative appearances and silly animations), shoulder pets, little paper airplanes that fly over your head, yoyos, wearable/playable musical instruments, etc.

There's a decent amount of toys and kid-sized vehicles. There's way more for little little kids (babies to grade 1 ish). After that, it kind of falls off of a cliff. There are some really dedicated creators who basically make all of the kid clothes, but it's a situation very similar to adult males. There seems to be a lot more clothes for older girls, and far more clothes for babies and toddlers. Costumes is actually a weird one because I looked for one this year (like, actual costume instead of fantasy wear) and actually had trouble. There are a few, but weirdly not many.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, HarrisonMcKenzie said:

There's a decent amount of toys and kid-sized vehicles. There's way more for little little kids (babies to grade 1 ish). After that, it kind of falls off of a cliff. There are some really dedicated creators who basically make all of the kid clothes, but it's a situation very similar to adult males. There seems to be a lot more clothes for older girls, and far more clothes for babies and toddlers. Costumes is actually a weird one because I looked for one this year (like, actual costume instead of fantasy wear) and actually had trouble. There are a few, but weirdly not many.

Hmm, costumes could be good, then. Though I suppose it depends on the demand for such things. Kind of surprised, really. I thought that, if anything, would be slightly easier to find - especially around the holidays.

• Like 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 801 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.