Why do I choose Second Life over Meta?

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 348 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

6 minutes ago, Nick0678 said:

Moves to Europe .. gets arrested for indecent exposure.

Where on earth did you land in Europe then?

Besides, I just tried to explain. I'm not judging. So no need to get stressed about it.

Just now, Sid Nagy said:

Where on earth did you land in Europe then?

Besides, I just tried to explain. I'm not judging. So no need to get stressed about it.

Pick a place that you like , i 've been and lived in many random places such as London and Swindon(UK), Munich(Germany), Barcelona(Spain), Bucharest(Romania), Ancona(itraly) and of course Greece..  and where have you been?

9 hours ago, Flower Caerndow said:

I am interested in others opinions of what niche Second Life occupies and why is it not more mainstream.  Still trying to decide if I belong here...

Nothing else I'm aware of compares to SL's avatar customization, for example. IMVU, Roblox, VRChat don't have the same combination of ease, variety, and freedom as SL.

• IMVU and Roblox both have easy avatar customization from a Marketplace-like store, but the avatars are very limited on what kind you can have. There's no way to have anything other than some kind of humanoid.
  • VRChat enables more freedom, since you can create your own avatar (for free) in the Unity Editor without real limits on the size or shape of your avatar. Want to have no legs and 10 arms, or be a little toy car, or the Iron Giant? Go for it, but you have to wear the whole avatar as-is. You can't add accessories to your avatar once you're in-world.
  • Second Life has both, the ease-of-access to customizing your avatar of IMVU/Roblox, and there are barely any limits on what kind of avatar you can have, same as VRC.

Second Life also has its fairly complex "creation tools" accessible directly in-world. If you go to an area where rezzing is allowed, you can do all kinds of creative things with anybody who's around. Literally build a home with your family if you want.

• Roblox (last I checked) requires you to leave the world and go into a separate "world editor" to do all the building and scripting before saving your work, publishing the world, and having other people join. They can't build with you.
  • IMVU has only the most basic editing; the owner/admin of a room can move furniture, that's it. There's no freedom of movement or creative collaboration.
  • VRChat might have small props you can grab (or they'll always be in your hand if you choose one from a menu), but you can't create/edit any new ones.

As far as Meta goes:

• Their hour-long introduction is basically SteamVR Home (a literal "home" space that acts as a hub from where you'll be able to edit your avatar and start your games) combined with VRChat (a virtual social space where you'll interact with other people as your avatar).
  • It's not a revolutionary concept, all the parts already exist (and they've said as much). So when Zuck says "the metaverse," he doesn't mean what every SL veteran wants to hear, which is what they heard from Philip Rosedale (SL founder).
    • Philip wanted a virtual world that was kind of its own thing, separate from the real world. Just a shared virtual space for everyone, Second Lifers and other virtual worlds. That idea is dead according to Philip himself.
    • Zuck wants to integrate all these different things (Reality, Augmented Reality, Virtual Reality, social media, gaming, Zoom/Discord/WhatsApp, videos/movies, livesteams, shopping, public and private events) into a single coherent product. All of those things should be possible to be interacted with from a single platform. That's the metaverse he's talking about.
  • It'll never be anything like Second Life because it's not even trying to. It's aiming way higher.
Edited by Wulfie Reanimator
  • Like 6

7 hours ago, Wulfie Reanimator said:

when Zuck says "the metaverse,"

• Zuck wants to integrate all these different things (Reality, Augmented Reality, Virtual Reality, social media, gaming, Zoom/Discord/WhatsApp, videos/movies, livesteams, shopping, public and private events) into a single coherent product. All of those things should be possible to be interacted with from a single platform. That's the metaverse he's talking about.

^^ this

Mr Zuckerberg's version of the metaverse is going to be about as interesting as Facebook is now. Which from my own personal pov is not very much. This said Facebook is important for its users tho, so I think Mr Zuckerberg's Metaverse will be important to a lot of them

it may turn out that Facebook vanilla metaverse becomes a rising tide that lifts all boats, and helps to grow membership of worlds/experiences like Second Life. Facebook users who having ventured into the vanilla metaverse when they might not have done so ordinarily, might get piqued to try out something a bit more interesting

• Like 2

Fwiw, Facebook is building more data centers, including one north of Nashville TN and another just outside Chicago.   The Nashville site will be over 1 million square feet and 100 employees, so it's basically going to be a server farm with a skeleton crew of hoomans. Zuck is aiming big (aka "All restaurants are Taco Bell").  

I have no interest in Meta.  I have little interest in Facebook either, but it's the only way I can keep in touch with some friends, and at least it allows me to engage in my meteorology hobby (by warning friends in different parts of the country) during severe weather outbreaks. 

If Meta is the VR incarnation of Facebook, then putting on your headset and logging on, you'll find yourself and the friends you wanted to interact with surrounded by a crowd of right wing skinheads yelling at a crowd of snowflake liberals, while giant billboards blare animated ads at everyone at ear splitting volume. While you are disoriented by all this, algorithms will track everything you look at (even the ones you want eye bleach for after beholding), your heartbeat, body position and movements, and a hundred other things about you and the way you interact with the environment.

Sort of VRChat with commercials, plus uber datamining.

Everyone will come to Second Life to de-stress after their hellish experience in Meta.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

On 12/30/2021 at 10:56 AM, Yuki Suki said:

I left Facebook for a reason and I wont go back if it changes the name a hundred times. Kinda like your Ex is your Ex for a reason.

"Meta is cartoon, SL is real!"

Best thing for FreakBook is to take it out back and bury it.

Some mention about social platforms. There is MeWe but sadly it's still not popular enough and they claim not to spy and stuff on you.

On 12/30/2021 at 11:43 PM, Tama Suki said:

He had created The Cloud Party.

Incorrect.

Cloud Party was created by Cory Ondrejka, co-founder of Second Life, and sold to YAHOO! not Zuckerberg.

https://modemworld.me/2012/06/23/cloud-party-the-new-kid-on-the-block/

https://modemworld.me/2014/01/24/cloud-party-team-joins-yahoo-platform-to-close-in-february/

Yahoo shut Cloud Party down in February 2015. 

https://www.businessinsider.com/an-ugly-truth-mark-zuckerberg-facebook-yahoo-offer-money-book-2021-7

Edited by Silent Mistwalker
  • Thanks 2

I have choosen SL many years ago (>10 years) as it was an idea, a concept and the business also was in SL, like Sun Microsystems, Mercedes-Benz etc. I like the creativity of the different people and that I can do things I cannot do IRL, like flying an aircraft, sailing with a huge yacht, select the weather and other fun. Mark Zuckerberg has no interest in giving me fun. Meta has interest in selling my profile data to earn money. Linden labs by now never has used it for that or I didn't get notice of it 🙂 

• Like 6

On 12/31/2021 at 10:33 AM, Sid Nagy said:

Seks.
Because in the US violence is almost totally accepted, but even the slightest nudity is handled as a total abnormality. Look at the American tv shows. Shooting, murder a lot of violence, no problem, but a nipple or a naked butt?  Remember nipple gate?

SL is the HBO of virtual worlds.

• Like 6
  • Haha 1

My main takeaway from the Meta ballyhoo was Zuckerberg doing an 'Alphabet' to protect Facebook from coming anti-trust action. His metaverse 'vision' is laughable and will most likely end up being a Microsoft-scale failure. But, hey, if that keeps the FTC and SEC off his back then it's money well spent from his PoV 😉.

I do like the idea of a common platform / environment that could tie in all the existing VR / virtual world platforms with a modicum of content portability. The prospect of VR virtual worlds with industrial-scale data-mining and forced corporate advertising is a complete turn-off. It was bad enough with the era of ad farms in SL run by janky amateurs on a shoestring budget.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Heathcliff Harbrough said:

🤣 "A woman was sexually harassed on Meta's VR social media platform"

https://www.technologyreview.com/2021/12/16/1042516/the-metaverse-has-a-groping-problem/

I can totally understand how that poor young lady felt. I 've been sexually harassed by women in SL multiple times all these years and it really is annoying especially when you are not in the mood for BS.

• Haha 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 348 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.