How would you like to be remembered?

Eddy Vortex

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 837 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

All I would really like is for my loved ones not to be sad when they think of me, but maybe smile a little instead..

My biggest fear about dying is not being able to comfort my children  then.. It's not really a fear but something that weighs heavy on my heart when I think about it.. So if they could just smile rather than be sad when they think of me, I would die happy..

• Like 12

32 minutes ago, Marigold Devin said:

I'm sure anyone who reaches heaven will be in exactly the form they deem to be perfect and will look to others what they deem to be perfect.

The world comes in different flavors and shapes and colors, personally i am universal.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Sid Nagy said:

Most people are totally forgotten within 3 generations, even most who (think they) are famous now.
So I don't mind and accept that I will be totally forgotten as well.

This is one reason I do genealogy, and volunteer my time to contribute to the genealogical record, to help preserve the memory of people. 

• Like 5

3 hours ago, Ayeleeon said:

This is one reason I do genealogy, and volunteer my time to contribute to the genealogical record, to help preserve the memory of people. 

I dip in and out of my family history but really got such a surprise when an article was run in our local weekly newspaper about a smallpox isolation hospital that was run by my great great grandparents, one of whom I was named after.  People are forgotten, but then they live on via future generations. 

• Like 5

The older I get, the more selective and hazy my memory is, even of people that I have been very close to in life. My own parents have been gone for many many years now. They still make cameo appearances in my dreams, of course, and I find myself sometimes reliving episodes or quoting things I remember them saying. Those memories are like fading snapshots, though. With every year, they are overlain with my reinterpretations, wishes, and regrets, and only a few fuzzy details remain.  I can no longer be sure that I remember them as they were.  I expect that I will slowly disappear in the same way to the people who have known and loved me. As Marigold says, people are forgotten.  The things that last are the small changes we each make that affect the course of other lives, even as we are forgotten for having done them.

• Like 9
  • Sad 1

Not sad, Tessa. There was a time in my life when it was important to work for the next rung on the ladder. I was very good at what I did, and I took pride in it and in being recognized for it. I would have been pleased to have my name on a building. In retrospect, though, the things I am most happy about are having been known as a good teacher and having raised two talented children who have their heads screwed on straight and can work and play well with others. And having four grandchildren who are well on the way to being good people themselves. That's not a legacy that will put my name on a plaque somewhere, but it's one that pleases me. 

Ripples.jpg.1c7c1c3f08d0951711f37c6275a33eab.jpg

• Like 7

2 hours ago, Rolig Loon said:

The older I get, the more selective and hazy my memory is, even of people that I have been very close to in life. My own parents have been gone for many many years now. They still make cameo appearances in my dreams, of course, and I find myself sometimes reliving episodes or quoting things I remember them saying. Those memories are like fading snapshots, though. With every year, they are overlain with my reinterpretations, wishes, and regrets, and only a few fuzzy details remain.  I can no longer be sure that I remember them as they were.  I expect that I will slowly disappear in the same way to the people who have known and loved me. As Marigold says, people are forgotten.  The things that last are the small changes we each make that affect the course of other lives, even as we are forgotten for having done them.

Mom was 100% Irish, and some in my extended family bought into the silly story that "wakes" were vigils held over the recently departed to make sure they really were dead. Dad was a sailor and engineer who concocted a better explanation for the term, as a celebration of the integral of all the waves and ripples a person leaves while they're alive. Like a boat that has passed out of view, we all leave a wake that affects people and things in ways often beyond comprehension. Some of us are submarines, invisibly causing incomprehensible waves while still alive.

• Like 8

2 hours ago, Rolig Loon said:

As Marigold says, people are forgotten.  The things that last are the small changes we each make that affect the course of other lives, even as we are forgotten for having done them.

This. 

Ozymandias 

BY PERCY BYSSHE SHELLEY

I met a traveller from an antique land,

Who said—“Two vast and trunkless legs of stone

Stand in the desert. . . . Near them, on the sand,

Half sunk a shattered visage lies, whose frown,

And wrinkled lip, and sneer of cold command,

Tell that its sculptor well those passions read

Which yet survive, stamped on these lifeless things,

The hand that mocked them, and the heart that fed;

And on the pedestal, these words appear:

My name is Ozymandias, King of Kings;

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!

Nothing beside remains. Round the decay

Of that colossal Wreck, boundless and bare

The lone and level sands stretch far away.

• Like 7

About people being forgotten It reminds me of my time in College I went to a small Private School in in Southern Wisconsin, Close to campus Was a cemetery that housed the founders of the City up to grave of the late 1940's Including a Titanic Casualty as well as Roy Chapman Andrews the  naturalist who found the first example in history of Fossilized Dinosaur eggs. It was also full of many knocked over shattered and otherwise vandalized  Monuments. What stuck out to me On the Westernmost side of this Cemetery was probably at one point absolutely Magnificent Mausoleum (attaching a google maps areal view of the structure)

13ca883cc074710f094c2ef157e8df24.png

you will notice at the entry of the walkway is 4 Plinths each one at one time held some type of statue these were long sense gone  and the whole thing was covered in Graffiti. I recall being very fascinated about who it was who would warrant such a grand Tomb So I went digging at the Historical Society

This Vandalized House of Eternity is the Grave of the Founder of the Architectural Brass Works which was at one time World Famous for producing the most beautiful door hardware in the world and Produced the Hardware found in the Houses of such figures "Robber baron" industrialists of the early 20th Century they also produced the brass hardware used in the State of Wisconsin Capitol, White House and the United States Capitol building!

his work opens the doors every day in Halls of government and he is all but forgotten resting in a vandalized crypt. 

Edited by Vanessa Amethyst
  • Like 2
  • Sad 2

11 hours ago, Ayeleeon said:

we do this also in a functional/practical way.  3 times a year we do cemetery cleaning up home down the valley. Not everybody comes every time, just when they can. We have four cemeteries / urupa, the valley is rural, so is quite a bit of work to do. Clean and fix all the stones, weed the beds, trim back the bush surrounding, fix the fences and gates, etc, etc. Many of us travel up home on Friday and stay over on the marae and come home on Sunday night

is good for the people. When they come home then they come to do mahi/work. Is nothing special in itself is cemetery cleaning, is just hard work

when a young person comes for the first time, they get told here are your bones. The bones of your ancestor whanau/family. And here is a slasher. All that bush on the other side of the fences has to be trimmed back. Off you go, and when you get puffed out doing that then we have a spade and/or a scrubbing brush waiting for you. And they go ok and have a go. Sometimes they go good and sometimes they get puffed out pretty quick, but just encourage them and they keep on as best they can

every stone tells them of their ancestors. And the older family member present working alongside will tell them as they are working how this person relates to them. And  that the ancestors, and their whanau present, are pretty pleased to see them here doing the mahi. Thru mahi/work which benefits our bones, our whanau, do we bond

Edited by Mollymews
typs
  • Like 7

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 837 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.