How would you like to be remembered?

Eddy Vortex

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 831 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

6 hours ago, Mollymews said:

when a young person comes for the first time, they get told here are your bones. The bones of your ancestor whanau/family.

Not just your ancestors, but your neighbors as well. The pioneers who built your community, and contributed to the blessings you have today. If you work with cemeteries you may be familiar with Find a Grave. I walk cemeteries and make sure every market is recorded. The markers themselves can get damaged, become illegible, and certainly can't be searched online, but once it gets recorded online it the record is preserved. 

• Like 5

2 hours ago, Ayeleeon said:

the record is preserved. 

Temporarily.. cause eventually all will be lost in the sands of time, the universe doesn't care if one was born human or was the chicken someone had for dinner, it's all the same. Nothing is important, not even the universe itself

• Like 1

On 12/29/2021 at 9:35 AM, ChinRey said:

I don't really care for my own part. When I'm gone, I'm gone.

But the best epitaph I've ever seen was the one Duke Ellington gave to Louis Armstrong (quoting from memory): "He was born poor and died rich and harmed nobody on the way."

That is indeed a great epitaph. He did great work enriching the world with his music.

On 12/29/2021 at 9:40 AM, Arduenn Schwartzman said:

And the follow-up question is: 'What are you going to do about it?'

Good question. I suppose striving to leave things better than you found them or at bare minimum, leave things as you found them.

On 12/29/2021 at 4:50 PM, Marigold Devin said:

I dip in and out of my family history but really got such a surprise when an article was run in our local weekly newspaper about a smallpox isolation hospital that was run by my great great grandparents, one of whom I was named after.  People are forgotten, but then they live on via future generations. 

Cool legacy and bragging rights your great (x2) grandparents left behind.  I'm reminded of a quote someone once said, "They are not gone from this world, you are how they remain in it."

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Vanessa Amethyst said:

This Vandalized House of Eternity is the Grave of the Founder of the Architectural Brass Works which was at one time World Famous for producing the most beautiful door hardware in the world and Produced the Hardware found in the Houses of such figures "Robber baron" industrialists of the early 20th Century they also produced the brass hardware used in the State of Wisconsin Capitol, White House and the United States Capitol building!

his work opens the doors every day in Halls of government and he is all but forgotten resting in a vandalized crypt. 

I believe the reason this person unfortunately is not remembered and sadly his mausoleum is in poor repair is because his work, albeit beautiful, was not truly meaningful and did not touch people's lives in a significant way. 

As a counter example, let's take Frederick Banting and JJR Macleod. In 1921 they discovered insulin and the cure for diabetes. Prior to this discovery, people with type 1 diabetes lived no more than a year or two. Today approximately 537 million adults live with diabetes. Due to the importance of their work, and how many people are impacted positively by their work, they are still remembered, 100 years after their work was completed. (hum, I'm sure someone will say that they've never heard of Banting or Macleod :))

• Like 2

It's been a while I did not get in sl.  I mean in the grid.  Even now, do not know why, cannot stay inworlds as much as I wish.  (Hours, a day, more).  Some pressing emergency in rl distracts me. I've been dreaming during the last 8 months and more to enter and stay for ever.  No computer, no connection, no time, not an opportunity. I guess -since I am healthy and hope to remain- I guess when I'll have my other problems resolved I'll be there more.  I entered sl in 2015, and during the three first months without paying details I lived the most happy time of my life, never talking to anyone, always teleporting when addressed.

christmas.jpg

• Like 1

'To be remembered is not to die' is valid for the survivors.  (The survivors feel like the dead is alive). We all live on earth independently of others. Each one has his own life to him. And if life continues after death one way or another then one does not need the others to pursue.  Society is restricted here.

christmas 2022_001.png

Edited by examining
  • Like 1

When i visit home after 20+ years living away i find people tend to talk about me in a past tense and the theme flips from nutcase to peacekeeper , usually in the same sentence .

So i guess thats what will be discussed at my funeral .  Someone will offer "honest as the day is long" to which all will agree . So i reckon i can go to my grave accepting that somehow somewhere i did something right .

A month later the stories i'm often told about myself , to which i typically reply "can't remember must have been drunk" will also die and life will go on like i never existed in the first place .

• Like 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 831 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.