Marketplace reviews and comments are now anonymous. Thoughts?

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 837 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I wouldn't mind being able to leave a star review without having to type a message. Most, if not all, of the review systems I've used over the decades are like that. From what I can tell, on the MP you have to leave a comment. I don't usually have the time to take to come up with something if I'm not having any issues. I see that as being fake. I'm not going to fake a review just to give it the rating I feel it deserves. If there is a problem I'm going to contact the creator directly, not through a review system not intended for support. Once the issue is resolved (or not) then I can go back and add comments if needed/wanted. 

I just don't see the point of picking a fight with a creator on the MP when the issues can be resolved inworld where they occurred.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

8 hours ago, Anna Nova said:

I assume all 5-positive reviews are paid-for by the seller, and all negative ones (1* and 2*) caused by the buyer being a <?> and not checking the demo (or buying ANYTHING without a demo)

I reach out to each and every customer myself, a few days after their purchase. My products require setup, and while I did an extensive manual and some videos, some customers still struggle with the setup. So I prepared a notecard, thanking them for their purchase, and offering assistance should they require help.

About 5% follow up on the notecard, and once their issue is resolved (often it's even a suggestion or idea they have) I ask them if they could leave a review. Most do, some say they never review and that's fine by me as well. Most of the people who leave a review after this leave a 5 star review. Not a single one is paid for.

I am sure there are paid-for reviews. Some merchants even state it in the product listing that you get a certain percentage back if you leave an honest review. But I doubt (and hope) that the problem is as widespread, as you fear.

• Like 4

24 minutes ago, Coffee Pancake said:

More than 2 comments per page (like 30 per page) would also help counter store owners getting a couple of fake 5 stars to push a bad review down.

or the opposite - and have mostly great reviews of a product hidden on all of the other pages by a couple of 'one off' poor reviews

I hope it's not the case, as someone suggested, that the visibility of the reviewer's name in email was an oversight and so will eventually be removed.  If I get a 3 star review or below I sometimes contact the customer and see if I can help. There were times when I decided it was my mistake and refunded or dropped a free item on them, while other times the customer realized they didn't understand the directions or my goals for the project that caused some aspects not to work for them, and our exploration of the problem allowed it to be resolved.

Edited by Luna Bliss
  • Like 3

It is a warped society that demands transparency in government, their voice to be heard, and anonymity at the same time. Your opinion does not count if you cannot be counted.

That aside, the removal of names means I can't help customers who clearly need assistance. More than a few think that posting a bad review (or any review) will get answers to questions.

10 minutes ago, Cheshyr Pontchartrain said:

That aside, the removal of names means I can't help customers who clearly need assistance. More than a few think that posting a bad review (or any review) will get answers to questions.

Yes, many seem to think leaving a review is synonymous with customer support, and so I respond as if it is. 

• Like 1

Didn't know creators felt so entitled to having 5 star reviews...

Let's face it: I mostly leave 1 or 5 star reviews - I'm just not bothered enough to write reviews for every product I buy. This might be where the culture of enthusiastic 5 star reviews comes from, folks who are just happy it works as expected never bother to leave that 3 star review for "It's OK, would buy again."

1 hour ago, Peter Stindberg said:

As a merchant, I see the danger more in negative reviews from competitors.

That's just as valid a concern, yes. 

40 minutes ago, Fionalein said:

Didn't know creators felt so entitled to having 5 star reviews...

Let's face it: I mostly leave 1 or 5 star reviews - I'm just not bothered enough to write reviews for every product I buy. This might be where the culture of enthusiastic 5 star reviews comes from, folks who are just happy it works as expected never bother to leave that 3 star review for "It's OK, would buy again."

I was totally banned from multiple estates because I left a positive 3 star review. It absolutely happens.

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, Cheshyr Pontchartrain said:

It is a warped society that demands transparency in government, their voice to be heard, and anonymity at the same time. Your opinion does not count if you cannot be counted.

This assumes that everyone possesses an equal amount of power. In practice, inequities in our culture are such that many vulnerable and/or relatively powerless communities will hesitate to speak out for fear of being targeted.

I'm not going to argue that SL consumers are particularly vulnerable, as a group (although the caveat emptor philosophy that is the foundation for SL economics means that we have few protections).

But I can tell you that I would hesitate to put a negative, or even a middling review on the MP of a store that I know I am going to continue to need access to.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, Vengeance Villota said:

Ya but I'm kind of leaning toward the email still sending the user's name is an oversight and likely won't be a thing going forward. Otherwise, what is the point? 

Probably have to file a jira and wait 3 years for it to be changed.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Kimmi Zehetbauer said:

Wonder if it was a glitch?  Glitches happens with SL!

Yeah...glitch...that's the ticket!

BTW, if this happens again and soon and it seems to hang around much longer, like permanently, just chalk it up to being a long term glitch. It will make the suffering more bearable. 😉

• Haha 1

14 hours ago, Peter Stindberg said:

I reach out to each and every customer myself, a few days after their purchase. My products require setup, and while I did an extensive manual and some videos, some customers still struggle with the setup. So I prepared a notecard, thanking them for their purchase, and offering assistance should they require help.

About 5% follow up on the notecard, and once their issue is resolved (often it's even a suggestion or idea they have) I ask them if they could leave a review. Most do, some say they never review and that's fine by me as well. Most of the people who leave a review after this leave a 5 star review. Not a single one is paid for.

I am sure there are paid-for reviews. Some merchants even state it in the product listing that you get a certain percentage back if you leave an honest review. But I doubt (and hope) that the problem is as widespread, as you fear.

Ya, it's tough being a good-guy in business.  Almost all your competitors will be robber-barons with mafia connections.  Sorry, it's just life. :ph34r:

• Thanks 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 837 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.