Marketplace reviews and comments are now anonymous. Thoughts?

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 829 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

On 11/9/2021 at 1:24 AM, Lucia Nightfire said:

The store owner still gets an email when a review is made telling them who made the review with its url.

The store owner still gets an email when a review is made telling them who made the review with its url.

The reviews and comments on any listing page no longer show the names of the posters to anyone.

I assume logged in Lindens can still see who made the reviews/comments.

That wouldn't make it anonymous then, if they know who it is in the email. 

23 minutes ago, Coffee Pancake said:

A review isn't an endorsement and shouldn't be seen that way.

Plenty of people avoid leaving reviews specifically for this reason alone.

Sometimes they can be endorsements,  sometimes qualified endorsements and sometimes they reflect badly on the reviewer and help inform more on who they are. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Aethelwine said:

Sometimes they can be endorsements,  sometimes qualified endorsements and sometimes they reflect badly on the reviewer and help inform more on who they are. 

Unless you know them personally, it doesn't matter and is mostly irrelevant.  How does a bad review tell anything about a reviewer?  You can guess as to their intent but you really have no clue.  Will that reviewer then be banned or attacked by the creator?  Bad conduct works both ways.  

If you sell on any MP, you are inviting comments on your product.  That doesn't mean those commenting should be penalized for honest evaluations.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, Rowan Amore said:

Unless you know them personally, it doesn't matter and is mostly irrelevant.  How does a bad review tell anything about a reviewer?  You can guess as to their intent but you really have no clue.  Will that reviewer then be banned or attacked by the creator?  Bad conduct works both ways.  

If you sell on any MP, you are inviting comments on your product.  That doesn't mean those commenting should be penalized for honest evaluations.

I see that all the time on SLFB, people will get so offended at some honest evaluations and ban the person from ever buying from their store. 

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Coffee Pancake said:

Who is shopping for social clues on the SLM.

I simply mean that if I see someone I know who's opinion I value has given a positive review, it gives me a level of trust in the product.

I wouldn't say often, but there are times where it has affected a purchase and encouraged me to buy something. 

It might be a function of the sorts of things I am buying. I very much doubt I would recognise any comments on a pair of pants I found on market place. But a vehicle, whether it be a bike, a boat or a plane I will often see people reviewing the product I know. Some who's opinions I value, some I don't

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Rowan Amore said:

The words they use and the sentences they make give meaning. I must be missing some subtlety to your question, the answer seems so obvious?

Not sure about people being banned and things going both ways... drama happens, I am not denying that. Since the product owner know who made the review whether displayed or not, I am not sure why you seem to think what I said has anything to do with cases where people are penalised for putting a review on. That can happen either way.

I don't really want to explain in too much detail why I added that reviews can reflect badly on a reviewer, it should be fairly obvious. In one extreme example I recall a review left on a free full perm gift after the Charlie Hebdo attack. The product and review has gone now but it was there for some years. Many won't buy from the competitor that left the reviews relatively big name store as a result of their conduct in that mean spirited attack.

Edited by Aethelwine
  • Confused 1

I really wish I could give reviews based on my understanding of a 5 point scheme: 1= useless, 2= some value, 3= about what I expected, 4= better than expected, 5= just about perfect.

But in real and second life anything but a 5 star rating is seen as 'utterly <?> useless AND the seller is a monster'.  So I very seldom give any reviews.

A proper review system would be very helpful.  But like honest politics, it's just a pipe-dream.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Crim Mip said:

There are good and bad points to this, but either way it's a done deal so we'll have to cope. It does mean demos are more important than ever since there's no way to check the credibility of the ones doing the reviews.

The names are back. It must have just been a glitch.

I generally prefer not to read the review, they create a lot of tension in me, like a lottery, so I turned off all notifications from the market. Of course, it's always nice to read good reviews, but bad reviews usually make me very upset. If a person really needs help, they understands that they need to contact me first and not write an angry review. Therefore it saves the nervous system. I advise everyone. :D

Besides, I am doing stuff not for reviews mostly.

Edited by Isobeast
  • Like 1

On 11/9/2021 at 12:30 AM, Marianne Little said:

He he. Maybe it is so the prim and proper Marianne 👼 dares to leave a review on the Spank spank spank me 1000 animations Naughty bondage bed when she is anonymous now? 😆 🤣

Well now I’ll be questioning which one is you. 😅

• 3 weeks later...

I agree with Isobeast. It sucks when they write a bad review without contacting you first about a problem, esp when it can be solved immediately. It sucks too when they write a bad review cause the dress does not fit their body, cause it is - as advertised - for a different body,  or cause the catsuit is not seperate top and bottom. Of course it sucks too when the one who leaves a bad review get harrassed for it. BOTH sides, creators and customers should be fair to each other. Leaving reviews annonymously gives those even more opportunity to leave bad reviews on competitors to make life hard for them and as a creator I have not even a chance to flag those reviews. Also I have no chance to find out who flags my items for keyword spam for no other reason than to give me a hard time. Using 4 words that exactly describes the item is not spam and flagging that item for keyword spam is just wrong. Where are the tools for the creators to protect ourself from those who are not about giving an objective feedback, but only giving a hard time?

2 hours ago, Felkon Beck said:

I agree with Isobeast. It sucks when they write a bad review without contacting you first

I don't mind if it's anonymous or not  i always find a products weakness and put  1 star reviews ..

(.. oh and they ALL have weaknesses/defects)

1l1l1w.gif

On 11/9/2021 at 1:56 AM, Lucia Nightfire said:

Marketplace reviews and comments are now anonymous.

Even the store owner will not see who posted them.

The only time the store owner will see who has made a review is via email.

Thoughts?

I think it would be a good thing if LL added a counter that would indicate how many times a product has been purchased. Something much more indicative than product quality reviews in my opinion.

13 minutes ago, Tama Suki said:

I think it would be a good thing if LL added a counter that would indicate how many times a product has been purchased. Something much more indicative than product quality reviews in my opinion.

I'm curious: Would you favor those products with more sales, or those with fewer? Or is it a complex, non-monotonic function?

I think I'd generally prefer those with fewer sales. In fact, my very favorites are the products that aren't listed on Marketplace at all.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Qie Niangao said:

I'm curious: Would you favor those products with more sales, or those with fewer? Or is it a complex, non-monotonic function?

I think I'd generally prefer those with fewer sales. In fact, my very favorites are the products that aren't listed on Marketplace at all.

Of course, the comments are more indicative in a way.
It is also possible that an author has a circle of "friends" who go to positively comment on his products.

On the other hand, I think that if a product is very well sold, it is much more indicative of its quality.
Otherwise why do people keep buying it?

Sales and reviews have nothing in coming. Some of my top selling products in the thousands have no reviews at all.  Whenever I see a ton of reviews for a brand new product I am VERY suspicious :D.  

The same can be said of bad review made by competitors. ^^.  Been there, done that, moved on.    

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Tama Suki said:

Easily gamed:   List product for a really cheap price - L$1 - and advertise it inworld via various groups.  After lots of purchases, then bumped the price to match creator's other products. 

Tons of people buy L$1 items just because they are super cheap and if the quality sucks, they will seldom leave a bad review because it only cost them L$1.  However, the product would rack up many more purchases than it might otherwise.

Edited by LittleMe Jewell
  • Like 2

12 minutes ago, LittleMe Jewell said:

Easily gamed:   List product for a really cheap price - L$1 - and advertise it inworld via various groups.  After lots of purchases, then bumped the price to match creator's other products. 

Tons of people buy L$1 items just because they are super cheap and if the quality sucks, they will seldom leave a bad review because it only cost them L$1.

Yes, I have probably seen this mechanism in operation a few times. But I think it's not a good way to build a reputation and we all know that reputation is worth more than anything else in business.
I think this value is essential.
The important thing is that your product is of quality. You can use many tricks but in the end what matters is only the quality.

5 hours ago, Felkon Beck said:

I agree with Isobeast. It sucks when they write a bad review without contacting you first about a problem, esp when it can be solved immediately. It sucks too when they write a bad review cause the dress does not fit their body, cause it is - as advertised - for a different body,  or cause the catsuit is not seperate top and bottom. Of course it sucks too when the one who leaves a bad review get harrassed for it. BOTH sides, creators and customers should be fair to each other. Leaving reviews annonymously gives those even more opportunity to leave bad reviews on competitors to make life hard for them and as a creator I have not even a chance to flag those reviews. Also I have no chance to find out who flags my items for keyword spam for no other reason than to give me a hard time. Using 4 words that exactly describes the item is not spam and flagging that item for keyword spam is just wrong. Where are the tools for the creators to protect ourself from those who are not about giving an objective feedback, but only giving a hard time?

Some things LL hasn't provided a proper category for, so people use keyword spam to get LL's attention. LL tends to word things in such a way as to discourage reporting things in an attempt to stem the tide. Thanks to Philip's Love Machine, employees still believe they can pick and choose what they work on. Who wants to deal with MP complaints? No one. The same applies to all of SL. 

Edited by Silent Mistwalker
  • Like 2

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 829 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.