Places you've never been, but would love to go.

Doris Johnsky

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 968 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I thought this might stir some interest.

There are 2 places (at the moment) I would love to visit.

The Highlands of Scotland. Where  my namesake ancestors came from the in the mid 1800s. Pre Civil War. 

Scottish Highlands 2021: Best of Scottish Highlands, Scotland Tourism -  Tripadvisor

Santorini, Greece.  It looks lovely. Average yearly temp?  70F.   Highest average temp? (August) 84F.  Lowest average temp? (January)  59F

Santorini is the Greek island you must visit before you die - ABC News

What say you?  Pics please

Edited by Doris Johnsky
  • Like 7

I've been to many places over the years ( many parts of the UK and Scandinavia, Iceland, Italy, France, Croatia, Slovenia, Greece, Switzerland, Germany, China, Japan, Taiwan, and places all over the U.S. and Canada) but I have a bucket list longer than my arm.  I would love to get to New Zealand and Australia some day and there are many places in Europe I would like to visit friends (like the Netherlands and Belgium).  I'd like to go to India some day.  I've never made it to Alaska or Hawaii, and I have twice failed to make it to Labrador and --- in the opposite direction -- have never reached Vancouver or BC.   

There's hardly anywhere I have been that I wouldn't like to go back to again too.  My travel plans to Wales were canceled in March 2020, and am beginning to doubt that I will get back to visit friends all over the UK for a long time.  Many of them are my age, and none of us are getting younger. Between the pandemic and the normal limits on mobility that I expect in the years ahead, I worry that I won't be going to many of the places on that bucket list.  It's a good thing I have SL.

• Like 7

Well, with Australians not being allowed to travel for the indefinite future, I am lucky that I live in Tasmania, one of the prettiest parts of the country (see below for an example, it's not very far from me, Cradle Mountain, maybe you can add it to your lists of places to go)

I really want to go to the UK, and hey, why not see the sights of Europe while I am over that way, and even meet my SL partner! And I want to go to New Zealand, which isn't so far from here after all. I would love to go to Alaska, maybe take one of those cruises.

Historic-Boat-Shed-Cradle-Mountains.jpg

• Like 7

International Falls, Minnesota- to see the Northern Lights.

Carmel-by-the-Sea -because it looks like a fairy tale & the Redwood Forest in California 

Central Park in Autumn, Rockefeller Plaza at Christmas in NYC

The Pyramids at Cairo

Anywhere with the little hotel huts over the pristine water along a sugar sand beach

• Like 5

My dream trip would be to hit Krakow, Prague, Vienna, München, and Budapest. 

Except then I remember I abhor large cities and would rather just stay at home in my rural winter wonderland.

eyJidWNrZXQiOiJtaXJyb3IuZ2V0Zmxvd2JveC5j

vinter2.jpg

1fbad7f13e7d0e70984f48d3f84f5970.jpg

It's quite all right in summer, too.

att-g%C3%B6ra-i-leksand.jpg

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Chicago. Not because I particularly want to see Chicago, but because Madison lives there.  Also New Orleans, for the music and the food.

A little closer to home, the top European country I want to visit that I haven't been to yet is Greece. Athens and the Islands. 

Further afield, India for sure and also New Zealand. But I know that if I ever go to New Zealand I won't ever want to leave.

• Like 2

Sadly, the place i would most like to go isnt the same anymore. The campground we went to every summer for two/three weeks just before school started is so modern now it scares me. & mile long 1/2 mile wide spring fed lake and they put in an Olympic sized pool and 8 hot tubs. A full restaurant that seats 100 replaced the small diner style walk up eating area. Paved roads all over now which smell amazing in the summer sun, as opposed to the packed dirt that left the forest scents drifting around. They got rid of the hayride, family friendly singers, and family movie night shown on the side of the barn, and replaced them with rentable atvs, current dance and pop music blasting till midnight, and a flipping movie theater.

Talking with the old owners they have said they assed the Campground on to their children and they were the ones that made the changes. Yes they still are full every summer, but it is far noisier that it ever was before. People walked to get coffee in the morning and sat by the lake chatting with their neighbors, now they take ATVs to get breakfast at 7 am. 

Progress is great if its actually progress. I go to the middle of Maine to camp, not have urban life next to a lake. Sadly its all millennials there now. They have power, water and wifi at each site now. I tried to continue going there with My children as my parents did with us, but we didnt have any fun there. We had more fun on the day trips we took from our own home. Which is what we have done ever since.

Speaking of, heading out later to pick some apples and get some fresh cider donuts. Enjoy your day!

lake-pemaquid-campground.jpg

Edited by Drake1 Nightfire
Forgot the picture
  • Like 3

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 968 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.