New Gacha Policy Discussion

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 988 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

For crying out loud .. we're on page 108 now and people still aernt getting it through their heads...

Step 1: Pay Lindens into a machine that contains lots of different items

Step 2: Get a random item that you didn't have any choice in.

Step 3: You just played a form of gacha .... BANNED

OR

Step 1: You pay money into a vendor that shows a specific item

Step 2: You get the exact item thats shown on that vendor

Step 3: Congratulations you just paid into a normal vendor ... enjoy your Justin Beiber 4ever Mug ---- Allowed Vendor (even though Beiber should be banned)

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 4

4 minutes ago, Aria Fae said:

Step 1: You pay money into a vendor that shows a specific item

Step 2: You get the exact item thats shown on that vendor

Step 3: Congratulations you just paid into a normal vendor ... enjoy your Justin Beiber 4ever Mug ---- Allowed Vendor (even though Beiber should be banned)

Although, I recently seeing more and more vendors, especially on events, that not clearly explaining what they trying to sell. Call it a lack of information. Especially when it comes to skins, that it isn't clearly said that you only get the head skin and not a full body skin.

as annoying as the head only skin vendors are, i can see why the creators do that, there's so many bodies out there that in order to keep prices down, they split out the different pieces, this also allows them to offer different cleavages, tummies etc.

1 minute ago, Dorientje Woller said:

Although, I recently seeing more and more vendors, especially on events, that not clearly explaining what they trying to sell. Call it a lack of information. Especially when it comes to skins, that it isn't clearly said that you only get the head skin and not a full body skin.

Head skins and body skins are separate.

• Confused 1

I find it interesting that I - as someone who screeched pretty loud about my dislike for gachas - am apparently:
-pissed I didn't get the gachas I wanted
- believing I'd now get all gacha items, including rares at pull price
- angry at the success of others
- hating fun.

Heh. Keep going.

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, Sukubia Scarmon said:

I find it interesting that I - as someone who screeched pretty loud about my dislike for gachas - am apparently:
-pissed I didn't get the gachas I wanted
- believing I'd now get all gacha items, including rares at pull price
- angry at the success of others
- hating fun.

Heh. Keep going.

Conversely, people upset about the ban are either

-creators who themselves got addicted to nickle and diming their customers to death, learning all the wrong lessons from EA, sucking the fun out of SL shopping the same way they sucked every last penny out of their clients

-resellers who can no longer flip rares for thousands of lindens every month

-creators selling their own rares for thousands of lindens under alts while making said rare nigh impossible if not actually impossible to get from an actual machine.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 3

21 minutes ago, Tetsuryu Vlodovic said:

Conversely, people upset about the ban are either

-creators who themselves got addicted to nickle and diming their customers to death, learning all the wrong lessons from EA, sucking the fun out of SL shopping the same way they sucked every last penny out of their clients

-resellers who can no longer flip rares for thousands of lindens every month

-creators selling their own rares for thousands of lindens under alts while making said rare nigh impossible if not actually impossible to get from an actual machine.

I was in world yesterday and one of the MM groups was chatting about the ban. Many said they were glad the gachas getting 86ed and one of the creators got mad and called them names. No explaining how the Lab has to follow regulations and was forced to enact the ban. Found out the the person was a creator who was very upset and on his machines, he only made 1 rare of his products.

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, Katherine Heartsong said:

Gambling. Definition. Gambling is the wagering something of value (Lindens) on an event with an uncertain outcome (you do NOT know what will come out of the gacha with certainty) with the intent of winning something of (dubious) value.

I highlighted the parts that make gachas gambling.

Gumball machine. Place money into slot, twist, hear rattle, hope the door holds the gumball in and it doesn't fly onto the floor, get a gumball. You bought a gumball, not a CHANCE of a gumball.

You seriously can't see the difference?

Just a quick correction there.. Per the ToS.. 

Except as set forth above or in any Additional Terms, purchases of Linden Content (including but not limited to Usage Subscriptions, Virtual Tender, and/or other Virtual Goods and Services) are final, non-refundable, have no monetary value (i.e. are not a cash account or equivalent) 

LL states that $L have no monetary value.

• Haha 1

13 hours ago, Mollymews said:

giving a card randomly drawn from a set of 50  is not allowed anymore when the buyer has to pay to receive the card

cool. now im right back at the beginning.

ONE says its ok to sell collectables "since they dont count".

ANOTHER one say its not ok since its random.

yea...

1 hour ago, Mr Amore said:

Acquiring a LL home on Bellisseria is like playing the gacha too:

Commons : The landlocked homes that everyone abandons

Rares : The sweet waterfront properties with a clear horizon ahead

Ultra Rares : Those rarest of homes on small private islands, 99.999% chance you'll never land one.

This is sarcasm, right? Please tell me yes. I am seriously (honestly) confused that it might be serious. Went right over my (red) head.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Katherine Heartsong said:
1 hour ago, Mr Amore said:

Acquiring a LL home on Bellisseria is like playing the gacha too:

Commons : The landlocked homes that everyone abandons

Rares : The sweet waterfront properties with a clear horizon ahead

Ultra Rares : Those rarest of homes on small private islands, 99.999% chance you'll never land one.

This is sarcasm, right? Please tell me yes. I am seriously (honestly) confused that it might be serious. Went right over my (red) head.

I gave it a laugh reaction because I chose to believe it was comedic / sarcasm, regardless of how it was actually intended.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Drake1 Nightfire said:

Except as set forth above or in any Additional Terms, purchases of Linden Content (including but not limited to Usage Subscriptions, Virtual Tender, and/or other Virtual Goods and Services) are final, non-refundable, have no monetary value (i.e. are not a cash account or equivalent) 

Which is true.  The value comes in reselling at a profit and then cashing out which is the a main issue but gets lost in the debate.  

• Thanks 4

3 minutes ago, Faly Breen said:

ONE says its ok to sell collectables "since they dont count".

ANOTHER one say its not ok since its random.

Who said "collectibles" do not count?

In the blog update, they said that currently 'Breedables' are not a part of this, but they are discussing that part some more with the legal folks.

That same blog update also said that "subscription boxes" were okay because even if nobody knew what was in them, everyone was getting the exact same contents.

45 minutes ago, Chris Nova said:

Head skins and body skins are separate.

Not always.  There is one store I know that sells their skins for mesh bodies and heads as one piece...like the older system skins.  Most now sell the body as a BOM (system skin) and the head as a tattoo.  I prefer that but it can be done either way.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, Drake1 Nightfire said:

Now really (honestly) confused since I seem to have to buy Lindens with real money, and can also cash out Lindens into real money. I appreciate the Linden view, but I'm not sure my local (tech-stupid) politician will bother with that type of nuance.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Rowan Amore said:

As @LittleMe Jewellhas 

Sell your stuff like everyone else has done since SL began.  Resellers?  Sorry, but making money (if you did make any) off the hard work of others is over.

Btw when gachas was created the creators agreed that the items can be resold from anybody so no one did money off the hard work of others, it s simply an agreement that now will be in part broker as the creators will put their items sold individually or whatever....

20 minutes ago, Rowan Amore said:

Not always.  There is one store I know that sells their skins for mesh bodies and heads as one piece...like the older system skins.  Most now sell the body as a BOM (system skin) and the head as a tattoo.  I prefer that but it can be done either way.

Maybe the same store where I bought my last skin? I am very pleased with the skin as a true skin all-in one, since I can't take it off. I can take off a tattoo skin if my finger slips. Oh noes, where did my face go!

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Stella Davros said:

Btw when gachas was created the creators agreed that the items can be resold from anybody so no one did money off the hard work of others, it s simply an agreement that now will be in part broker as the creators will put their items sold individually or whatever....

I have mixed feelings on that - gacha going away sort of invalidates any previous morality/ethical issues.  For most of the old stuff, anything that was going to sell on the secondary market has already sold.   Thus if I were a creator dealing with the gacha issue right now, I'd probably offer up some of my really old stuff for sale, but hold off on the current stuff in order to not horridly impact the resellers, though eventually I would still put those newer items for sale also. That would likely be my compromise on the issue.

Edited by LittleMe Jewell
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, Stella Davros said:

They made them transfer so you could trade between each other.  Later, resale became a money maker.  So yes, resellers ARE making RL money off the work of others.  There in lies the major problem with gachas.  As @animatsmentioned.  

1 hour ago, animats said:

Because you can't resell a house on Bellessaria, it's not considered "gambling" in jurisdictions that regulate loot boxes. It's the "cashing out" feature of SL that makes gachas gambling.

• Like 2

Here you can see how a gumball machine is NOT gambling : you can decide for yourself to continue playing whilst seeing what is in the supllied transparent bulb and how long it takes before you might get the prize.

Where' s this transparency in gachas ?

The gumball analogy is moot.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Rowan Amore said:

They made them transfer so you could trade between each other.  Later, resale became a money maker.  So yes, resellers ARE making RL money off the work of others.  There in lies the major problem with gachas.  As @animatsmentioned.  

So mean that if gacha was not transfer will not be gambling? If we look for the meaning of gambling say " play game of chance for money" and don t say "...but if is not transfer everything will be ok" and the definition of trade is the action of buying and selling goods and services.

Edited by Stella Davros

45 minutes ago, Drake1 Nightfire said:

You've been in SL long enough to know better than that. Now quick, sweep that back under the sofa before someone sees it and reports it. D'oh! 

🤫

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 988 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.