In world profile badges.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1087 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Just now, Storii Darkheart said:

I am not an achievement chaser or in the 'gaemerz crowds' but it would give me something to do on days I don't feel like doing anything else. What do you mean nothing added? Literally an entire system added.

That's nice.

Now, what is keeping you from finding something to do or going elsewhere when you can't be bothered?

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Storii Darkheart said:

What's wrong with them giving me something extra to do? Something that you wouldn't need to participate in if you don't feel the need to.

Wouldn't it be great if you could find a friend to do the things with you, who knows where that kind of nonsense might lead.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

I like this idea, would give me something to do whenever I am just standing on my parcel staring into space.

Also everyone shooting it down, it has been said before, just because you don't like it doesn't make the idea bad.

Heaven forbid there's a change! Let's keep SL old and stale and then cry out in shock when it closes its doors due to lack of users.

• Like 9
  • Haha 1

Small tangent- I installed an app today called “carrot”.  It’s a weather app that tells you the forecast audibly (you can choose various voices & there is a slider for the attitude the app gives you *super nice———homicidal*). But it has a game of sorts within it- with missions & achievements.  Tiny useless in-app tic marks akin to badges 😃

F17FB6EF-1F1C-4A7C-80FB-ECFCCF8DF1B2.png

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

29 minutes ago, Coffee Pancake said:

That's a bit like King Philip saying on a recent interview that people over 40 don't settle down for a bit of minecraft. Some absolutely do and they make and contribute wonderful things,

That is not what I meant at all.  No one I know would care one iota about any such badges.  The only people interested would be people needing some sort of online clout.  Silly really.  It would however be a nice incentive for new people.  I thought that was clear in the first post.

Edited by Rowan Amore
  • Like 3

I mean personal attacks aside from other people. I in my own opinion, feel like SL has always been that beacon for being unique and it's own thing. I feel like if we were to gamify SL, you would start to see a lot of people coming just to achievement or badge hunt. I mean great and all, but how many would stay? 

58 minutes ago, Coffee Pancake said:

If gamification provides even a subtle motivation to participate in positive ways, it's worth having just for those who do appreciate it. Keeping in mind this isn't a simple achievement system that boils down to tracking time as most game systems present. If you get nothing at all from a ding, you've not lost anything either.

The only good use of base achievements I've seen in a game would be World of Warcraft (or other Blizzard titles). There is a huge amount of content and the achievement system provides an index of things the user can do. 

Here is the thing though, WOW and SL are two totally different platforms. But I mean you keep on saying it, like if we bring WOWs achievement system. Then it will do the same in SL as it does in WOW. I would actually disagree with that. SL is a totally different beast, so we really can't  predict what will happen if we add it. 

To those of you shooting this down in flames because it's silly and nobody is interested in badges and suchlike: How long did it take once you hit 500 posts on this forum before you changed your forum title?

Edited by Skell Dagger
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 3
  • Haha 2

Just now, Skell Dagger said:

To those of you shooting this down in flames because it's silly and nobody is interested in badges and suchlike: How long did it take once you hit 500 posts on this forum before you changed your forum title?

Those two aren't the same, that is like comparing apples to oranges. No one is shooting it down in flames, we just feel that gamifying everything is not the best thing. 

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, Sammy Huntsman said:

Those two aren't the same, that is like comparing apples to oranges. No one is shooting it down in flames, we just feel that gamifying everything is not the best thing. 

Being able to change our forum title is indeed a type of badge that has to be earned via a specific number of posts.

As for 'shooting it down in flames' - I suppose that is a matter of interpretation on the "against" responses, but I'd have to agree with Skell's comment.

Edited by LittleMe Jewell
  • Like 4

4 minutes ago, Sammy Huntsman said:

Considering the amount of meaningless posts that often occur when someone is almost in reach of that 500 posts here in the forum so that they can change their title, I don't think it's totally an apples to oranges comparison.  I think there is some validity to Skell's point. 

1 minute ago, Maitimo said:

I think its a nice idea for the tutorial process. Maybe for your first 60 days, as someone suggested. It would encourage people to learn how everything works. After that, no thanks.

I think there is too much variety and time that would be needed to complete some of the suggested activities for it to be tied to either the tutorial process or for an initial time period for a new account.  As long as there is the option for people to opt-out of displaying the badges on their profile, I don't see what difference it would make for old-timers who aren't interested in it.  Personally, I think it would be interesting to see where I was in terms of certain items, and deciding if I wanted to work towards others, even if I might not display the badges for others to see - it would be a bit of a personal achievement thing. 

• Like 3

I kinda sorta want it, mostly for when someone asks why I don't have any badges..

You know it's coming! \o/

Badges? We don need no stinkin badges!

hehehe

Seriously though, the goals would be something to do when I was bored.. But I guess it would depend on what they were..

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Idk. There's really no point having to having badges in SL. It would make more sense if it was a video games with quests and achievements and things but for a virtual world where everyone uses it for different things? Nah.

I'm not against the idea. It could be fun, just a bit pointless. 

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, purrrkitten said:

Idk. There's really no point having to having badges in SL. It would make more sense if it was a video games with quests and achievements and things but for a virtual world where everyone uses it for different things? Nah.

I'm not against the idea. It could be fun, just a bit pointless. 

Pretty much anything in SL could be considered pointless then. Why do we have sailing? Why do we have way more clubs than we could ever need? Why do we have different windlights? Why is there a gazillian fashion events each month? Why do we have SL bloggers? Why why why. It's all so pointless!

Why not?

• Like 6
  • Haha 1

9 minutes ago, Tori Nova said:

Sort sounds like the Bellissarian passport, it would be easier just to extend that to all of Second life,

The difference being that Coffee is suggesting that the badges be on a person's profile, which would be good for those that like to show off their achievements, but could have negative affects in regards to inworld drama and/or griefing.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Sammy Huntsman said:

Here is the thing though, WOW and SL are two totally different platforms. But I mean you keep on saying it, like if we bring WOWs achievement system. Then it will do the same in SL as it does in WOW. I would actually disagree with that. SL is a totally different beast, so we really can't  predict what will happen if we add it. 

Oh yes, I fully appreciate WoW and SL are nothing alike, that is just the best use of an achievement system in an actual video game I'm aware of. It's a balance of things you get just for participating in the game and a lot of activity and content specific things spanning the entirety of the game's history. Some of them can require considerable effort, but all of them provide an in game way to see content you haven't experienced, of which there is a tremendous amount.

It's a very real attempt to answer the question - What is there for me to do?

That exact system doesn't apply to SL as we don't have set goals or monsters to slay, but the question does need answering, preferably in SL.

3 minutes ago, Tori Nova said:

Sort sounds like the Bellissarian passport, it would be easier just to extend that to all of Second life,

The problem with a resident created system is scope. 

You could easily have a scripted system that tracked time spent or places visited, but it couldn't detect some of the more involved activities without human oversight or adjudication. There are also privacy concerns as any such system would require personal statistics.

In short, I would trust LL to do this in an impartial way with the least possible human intervention possible. We have to assume they already gather all kinds of metrics. 

33 minutes ago, So Whimsy said:

Pretty much anything in SL could be considered pointless then. Why do we have sailing? Why do we have way more clubs than we could ever need? Why do we have different windlights? Why is there a gazillian fashion events each month? Why do we have SL bloggers? Why why why. It's all so pointless!

Why not?

You're right, which is why I wasn't against the idea. 

2 hours ago, Sid Nagy said:

"People without a minimum of 6 badges are not welcome in this club."

Just like people who aren't shaped or dressed like the cool kids ain't welcome now at some places.

Imagine if there's a badge for staying SL married for longer than two years, nobody would be qualified to get into such a club.

• Like 2
  • Haha 4

2 minutes ago, Eddy Vortex said:

Imagine if there's a badge for staying SL married for longer than two years, nobody would be qualified to get into such a club.

Hell, you could put the limit at 6 months (maybe even 2-3 months) and still wouldn't have many folks that achieved the badge.

Edited by LittleMe Jewell
  • Like 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1087 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.