'Banned' while flying at Bellisseria

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1085 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I don't know what gth is, nor DD32.
Obviously I've lived  my SL for 14 years without missing them, because I'm exclusively online with the LL browser.
So how important can it be?

Added: Yes I googled both now and they are both no reason for me to even think of changing viewer.

Edited by Sid Nagy
  • Like 2

Alternatively you could look at it like this, for a lot of people once they have used Firestorm for any length of time they never want to touch the LL viewer again.

EDIT: gth and dd are Firestorm commands you type in chat as a shortcut to make the viewer do things .  gth <x> is teleport to altitude <x> and dd <x> sets the draw distance to <x>m so "dd 32" sets it to 32m.

Edited by Gabriele Graves

For me it is all about my username, password and financial standing in SL going through third party software is a big no for me. I had a reasonable flourishing business in the past in SL.
Even if they would have golden buttons and pizza's with pineapple for their users, I would not take the risk.

Edited by Sid Nagy
  • Haha 2

I told my reasons. I'm no fan of using third party software because there is money involved in SL.
There is no need to further try to convince each other.
It is no religion. 😆

Edited by Sid Nagy
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

People acting if the LL viewer is inferior.
That is what's bugging me most of the time.
It is a great stable frequently updated viewer.

My distrust of third party software is not limited to the SL viewers.
It is a general distrust. I would not do my RL banking with third party software either.

Edited by Sid Nagy
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Until a couple of months ago, I used the LL viewer pretty much exclusively but for a different reason than Sid. For me it was because of the illegal action that the Emerald viewer developer(s) did. Emerald being a predecessor of Firestorm, of course. For Sid it's because, by using a third party viewer, you are giving anonymous people access to your SL account and, therefore, to your money.

So I completely support Sid's view. It cannot be criticised.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

Can we please not derail by rehashing the viewer wars?

Only been following this to see how the Belli situation differs from mainland - mostly in case the same restrictions get championed for their TBH :) Besides, wanting to confirm that the OP did get ejected from z= 51 m which would have been in the allowed range anyway.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Alwin Alcott said:

and it's even so unique that many lost access to it when their machine had a major update... :)

That happens on the LL viewer as well.  Firestorm didn't create the username/password encryption scheme.  LL did.  They just had to adopt it like all TPVs.

47 minutes ago, sirhc DeSantis said:

Only been following this to see how the Belli situation differs from mainland - mostly in case the same restrictions get championed for their TBH :) Besides, wanting to confirm that the OP did get ejected from z= 51 m which would have been in the allowed range anyway.

The LH Security system did NOT eject the flyer, only sent her a warning.  She was banned by another system that auto banned her for legally flying over a Belli parcel, which is not legal.  The same auto ban system can be used in the Mainland, where those who feel banning EVERYONE who touches their parcel for 10 seconds should be banned.  That is why Bellis is so popular, and Mainland is full of paranoid landowners.  LL has no intention of changing that situation.

There is nothing illegal about flying low enough to see the landscapes and homes at 51 meters.  If anything, a 400 meter and above orb free zone is only used by Jets and rockets that have no interest in viewing anything but a bare outlines of land masses.  Or war games I suppose, although the lag might make fighter jets crash.

The reason the LH TOS requires a 15 sec minimum warning below 400 meters, is to allow low flying aircraft, including hot air balloons, enough time to safely cross a parcel without being ejected.

And of course boaters, and land travelers.  No one with a wind powered sailboat that grazes the unmarked parcel water line of some homeowner for a few seconds, as they struggle to get away before their journey is ended by a 15 second orb, has "ill intent".  That is a marketing scheme by someone here trying to sell Auto-Ban orbs in Bellisseria. Travelers have no "ill intent" - just one of the dumbest phrases used in this thread.

Edited by Jaylinbridges
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1

16 hours ago, Tarina Sewell said:

The problem is this, you are entering a private area even the sky. People use skyboxes and you are intruding on their privacy. So you need to respect their privacy. 

I understand that. However, I'm flying above them in a helicopter and not a U-2 aircraft, taking pics for national security. I don't care what they are doing on the ground or sky box. I'm just trying to get from point A to point B.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

Another reason for triggering someone's orb is when you are using the map to teleport. Sometimes the home owner has the landing point set inside their home, so you have the added fun of trying to get out their house before getting ejected. But of course since they are security minded they have locked their door. You scramble to bring up the map... Alt shift m? Ctrl shift m? In the panic you hit the combination for a funny gesture you activated a month ago and are now mooning them in mouselook before getting ejected and the home owner cursing and blocking you as a griefer before you get a chance to try and explain. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

55 minutes ago, Aethelwine said:

Another reason for triggering someone's orb is when you are using the map to teleport. Sometimes the home owner has the landing point set inside their home, so you have the added fun of trying to get out their house before getting ejected. But of course since they are security minded they have locked their door. You scramble to bring up the map... Alt shift m? Ctrl shift m? In the panic you hit the combination for a funny gesture you activated a month ago and are now mooning them in mouselook before getting ejected and the home owner cursing and blocking you as a griefer before you get a chance to try and explain. 

a traveler can with the same click to get in a owned home, click on a road. No compassion for those. There is nothing to explain than they are to lazy to look where they go.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Alwin Alcott said:

a traveler can with the same click to get in a owned home, click on a road. No compassion for those. There is nothing to explain than they are to lazy to look where they go.

They can but also likely to try teleport outside the house only to end up back inside because of the teleport routing. 

But my point alongside trying to add some humour to lighten the discussion is to point out there is a rule similar to the one about toast landing butter side down, that when in a rush you will invariably do everything wrong and ineffectually. 

7 hours ago, Sid Nagy said:

I don't know what gth is, nor DD32.
Obviously I've lived  my SL for 14 years without missing them, because I'm exclusively online with the LL browser.
So how important can it be?

Added: Yes I googled both now and they are both no reason for me to even think of changing viewer.

Once you've used some of the features in TPVs that the LL viewer does not have and find them invaluable in building and creating, you'll never go back to the LL viewer. If you don't create or build then you wouldn't be interested in those features.

Edited by Silent Mistwalker
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, Silent Mistwalker said:

Once you've used some of the features in TPVs that the LL viewer does not have and find them invaluable in building and creating, you'll never go back to the LL viewer. If you don't create or build then you wouldn't be interested in those features.

I don't really build or create but would totally miss not being able to gth, rezplat, flr, etc.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1085 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.