Ok, I am man who likes to play in SL. Some former partners have vowed revenge when I divorce them. Lately, every time I log into Firestorm my connection gets bad, it crashes and my system goes to desktop. Can residents attack my connection to Firestorm?

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1254 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

2 hours ago, bigmoe Whitfield said:

your ip address changes,  and they are not getting that easily.

This is not true for many people.  Even people who don't have static ips may have ISPs that give out the same IP address to the same customer for long periods of time or for all time, it can depend.  Most of the ISP's I've had gave out pretty static, dynamic IPs that never changed.

If they went to their ex's parcel and media was enabled, it would in theory be possible to get that IP address using an external media application.  This is how the well known alt-detector products work/worked.  From there, at least in theory, an attempt to attack the OPs home network could be made.

So it could be done but in all fairness highly unlikely.  A lot of people make baseless threats when upset with others.

Edited by Gabriele Graves
  • Like 2

12 minutes ago, Arduenn Schwartzman said:

And who exactly were these ex-wife hackers of yours?

kate.jpg.3fe6d3d8683489587b75d70552c878e1.jpg   darlene.jpg.7fbf5437339b3b6cc805ed6e604f57ef.jpg

Kate and Darlene? Wise lesson learnt. Next time marry a wife with no computer.

Hell hath no fury like a forsaken womens with your IP address.

BTW, does it strike anyone as odd that he thinks that multiple former partners may be working in concert against him? Isn't that the plot to some straight-to-disk movie or something?

Makes ya wonder, don't it?

• Like 2
  • Haha 4

Very very unlikely. Residential internet connections, at least a majority of them, are not good enough to launch a denial of service attack. Even then, you are more than likely to see a crasher attack from them than something as convoluted as a denial of service attack.

What is actually happening is you are either experiencing Bad ISPisms(When your ISP claims "everything is good on our end" but it is broken for customers), or you have your bandwidth slider up too high.

image.png.b50689bee573ca3c754f127314e4c785.png

Just because this can go high, does not mean you should make it go as high as possible. Keep it at 1500Kbps or lower if your max download is lower. A lot of people seem to make this mistake thinking it is like a quality slider, but a lot of stuff in preferences is actually technical tweaks that can cause issues SL if not set properly for the specific hardware setup.

Edited by Chaser Zaks

8 minutes ago, Chaser Zaks said:

Residential internet connections, at least a majority of them, are not good enough to launch a denial of service attack.

Not sure why, but this reminds me of when people made keybinds to crash servers in Jedi Knight II: Outcast, by changing the colour of their lightsaber by scrolling their mousewheel and spinning it like crazy. Half the time, you'd see a bit of a lag spike, then the aspiring e-terrorist would crash their own client and the server stabilised again - only if your own computer was good enough to withstand the stress for longer than the host's computer did it ever cause the server to shut down.

7 hours ago, AugustVonHelson said:

Forsaken womens

Hey, psst, lil’ secret here...

[whispers in your ear] “... hacking is for wannabes. We’re far more likely to befriend your new wives and tell them you have performance issues. And not just with your viewer ☺️” 

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

59 minutes ago, Orwar said:

Not sure why, but this reminds me of when people made keybinds to crash servers in Jedi Knight II: Outcast, by changing the colour of their lightsaber by scrolling their mousewheel and spinning it like crazy. Half the time, you'd see a bit of a lag spike, then the aspiring e-terrorist would crash their own client and the server stabilised again - only if your own computer was good enough to withstand the stress for longer than the host's computer did it ever cause the server to shut down.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Denial-of-service_attack#Amplification

This breaks Jedi Knights II because it may be 50 packets per second(depending on how fast they can scroll) for the attacker, but the server has to send out 50 * connectedPlayers, so a full server(32 was the limit IIRC?), that'd be 1,600 packets.

Gold Source prevented this by introducing client side rate limiting via cl_cmdrate.

Edited by Chaser Zaks
  • Like 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1254 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.