Would you eat food if you dropped it on the floor?

Rat Luv

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1204 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

1 minute ago, TT120 said:

I use the 5 second rule generally but I have to beat my dog to it.  This only applies to my house though.  If it falls on the floor of the mens room at the Chevron station, then nope.

Why would you be eating in the toilet???:o

• Haha 2
  • Confused 1

47 minutes ago, Rat Luv said:

I once ate a piece of Monster Munch after I dropped it in a train station :/

Monster Munch has so many preservatives in it, you could probably drop it in worse places than that and still eat it. Pickled Onion Monster Munch is the best.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

I have cats, so even right after cleaning there seems to be cat hair everywhere.  Thus even dry food at home has to be carefully checked and probably dusted off very carefully.  Wet food at home would depend on whether rinsing it under water would ruin it -- can easily just rinse off fruit without ruining the taste, but not so much all wet food.

And never if not at home.

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Rat Luv said:

:$

Sorry...it was just a silly thing. I spilled wasabi peas over the floor yesterday and scooped them up and ate them. I just wanted reassurance that that was a perfectly normal thing to do.

And thankfully Rowan confirmed it is :)

Scooped them up? Sorry no, I will pick up a single item and eat it, but no scooping.

• Haha 2

Hmmm...  Proposed revision to the 5 second rule: "You may eat food if it bounces or rolls when it hits the floor,  and if you can catch it within 5 seconds."  That still leaves some things like marshmallows and Cheetos in a gray area, but it works for wasabi peas and grapes (kinda).

• Like 1

5 hours ago, RowanMinx said:

It all depends on the moisture content of the food and what floor it fell on.  Dry food at home, anything goes.  Dust it off.and you're good to go.  Moist food?  That takes closer inspection.  Food anywhere but home, nope.

This is correct.

• Thanks 1

Splurged a half year or so back & bought steaks for family dinner.  My son dropped his plate on his way to eat in front of tv, everything splattered on the tile floor.  I did the courageous mom thing and gave him my plate of food & rinsed off the steak he dropped and had it for my meal.   I’m still here to tell the tale.  

Edited by Pixie Kobichenko
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1204 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.